Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,284

3 members and 3,281 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Re: Can I use a blanket as temporary substrate?

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    How can you write so much? ...
    I try to be helpful, rather than be a smart ***.

Thanks

We have all been both

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I try to be helpful, rather than be a smart ***.
    Glad I’m on your side of the fence on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    We have all been both...
    Not saying I can't multi-task, but for a serious question, I'd rather try to share my experience.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

I use bath towels and cotton sheets, drapes, or table cloths in all of my enclosures except quarantine tubs where I use paper towels. I’ve done this for almost 20 years. You don’t want anything with a loose weave. The bath towels can’t be the super fluffy type with a lot of large loops, you want the smoother style. I also feed on mine and have only ever had one problem where one of my boas decided that the sheet might just be another rat. She did not catch the sheet with the rat, but after eating decided to then try to eat the sheet. Had fun trying to get that out of her mouth. She is the only one to ever try this, and only the one time. I’ve not had any issue with them catching the sheet or towel when striking.

Clean up is easy. I use a plastic putty knife to get any stuck urates or solids off of the material, then the sheet goes into the wash in hot water with detergent and a product called Odor Ban that is a disinfectant and deodorizer. Heavily soiled sheets get a double wash, and bleach if necessary. The benefit is it is reusable, easy to clean, and often pretty inexpensive at yard sales or thrift stores. I usually get several years of use out of each item, so the $2-$5 dollars per item is very cost effective. I also like to do a complete cage wipedown when changing out soiled linens, which really cuts down on any residual odors in the snake room.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I use bath towels and cotton sheets, drapes, or table cloths in all of my enclosures except quarantine tubs where I use paper towels. I’ve done this for almost 20 years. You don’t want anything with a loose weave. The bath towels can’t be the super fluffy type with a lot of large loops, you want the smoother style. I also feed on mine and have only ever had one problem where one of my boas decided that the sheet might just be another rat. She did not catch the sheet with the rat, but after eating decided to then try to eat the sheet. Had fun trying to get that out of her mouth. She is the only one to ever try this, and only the one time. I’ve not had any issue with them catching the sheet or towel when striking.

Clean up is easy. I use a plastic putty knife to get any stuck urates or solids off of the material, then the sheet goes into the wash in hot water with detergent and a product called Odor Ban that is a disinfectant and deodorizer. Heavily soiled sheets get a double wash, and bleach if necessary. The benefit is it is reusable, easy to clean, and often pretty inexpensive at yard sales or thrift stores. I usually get several years of use out of each item, so the $2-$5 dollars per item is very cost effective. I also like to do a complete cage wipedown when changing out soiled linens, which really cuts down on any residual odors in the snake room.
    Could we see some pictures of the blanket/towel substrate in use?
    This sounds really interesting and I'm considering trying that when its warmer and humidity is less of a struggle, but I can't quite picture how that would look. Do you spread it out flat like a paper substrate and weight the edges with hides/decor or is it less flat?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Anns (02-02-2019)

Thanks

The first photo is one of the 8' cages, so a white sheet is folded and flattened out as the substrate. The wrinkles are from Eli cruising. The blue towel is from my corn snake's cage, he is in there but likes to hide in the folds and occasionally underneath.

The last two are of Button's cage and a linen drape. He likes to cruise through the folds and peek out, so extra layers can act as additional hides. You can see him on the right waiting for the mouse god.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Anns (02-02-2019),Bogertophis (01-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    The first photo is one of the 8' cages, so a white sheet is folded and flattened out as the substrate. The wrinkles are from Eli cruising. The blue towel is from my corn snake's cage, he is in there but likes to hide in the folds and occasionally underneath.

The last two are of Button's cage and a linen drape. He likes to cruise through the folds and peek out, so extra layers can act as additional hides. You can see him on the right waiting for the mouse god.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Is that typical of their natural surroundings in Africa?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    Is that typical of their natural surroundings in Africa?
    Nope.

Years ago I frequented kingsnake.com’s boa forum and got the idea from one of the old timers. He’s also the one who tipped me off to the rubbing alcohol trick to get a snake to spit you out. I will be the first to admit it isn’t for everyone. For anyone using paper or newsprint, it’s a viable alternative that has the benefit of being reusable. You can’t use anything torn or with holes/loose weave that they can get caught in. And as I mentioned before, it lets me do a complete clean every time they soil the sheets.
    Last edited by Dianne; 01-24-2019 at 11:31 PM.
    Other Snakes:

Ball pythons:

Thanks
    I really would worry about some rodent odor remaining that would inspire one of my silly snakes to try eating the fabric when I'm not looking...even later the
    next day. But otherwise, it makes good sense...I especially like the recycling of old sheets, drapes or towels. Besides buying them from yard sales & thrift
    stores, you might want to check with your local thrift store about saving the NON-salable ones for you. I used to volunteer in our Hum Soc thrift store here,
    & they were always tossing out sheets or towels etc that have a stain here or there...PLUS, the companies that used to buy old clothes/fabric goods to recycle
    have NOT been doing so for the last year or more (the "market" isn't there att) SO, it's actually COSTING the thrift store MORE, the more stuff they have to
    put into "trash". Unless your area is very different from what's here where I am, you might want to talk to them & see if they'd save you some "throwaways",
    either free or cheap?

The other thing that our local shelter does is to sell very cheaply (a dollar each) any non-salable blankets/etc that can serve as pet blankets (like in dog houses
    & barns). That actually was MY suggestion and that keeps SO much out of landfill, and the damaged stuff sells like hotcakes, especially in colder weather for
    people's pets, but even as a drop-cloth, garage usage & so on.

I'm sure the snakes like the texture of fabric, I just might have to experiment with your idea. My snakes eat from tongs pretty well, so I might not have any
    problem with lingering scent. But right now, I'm stocked up on Carefresh... I really did like using the indoor/outdoor carpet, except for the hand-washing.
    That's best for only a couple cages at most...a room-full would get old. But something you can machine wash, hmm?

Speaking of recycling- I've cut up some fancy damask roman shades* & lined my china hutch using staple gun. It's a softer landing for good dishes & glass
    ware, & looks so nice. *They were bought super cheaply as new but they were store-returns (JC Penney) that were re-sold locally. You could have some
    really plush snake-estates using damask if you have a local source for such shades...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast