Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,066

3 members and 3,063 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Toref/Torefet: Varanus Tristis Orientalis/Freckled Tree Monitor

Toref and I had an eventful day, and not in a good way (although everything turned out okay in the end).

I went to clean his tank and he freaked more than usual, but not too uncommon. I got him in my hand, and he was resting on my hand in the tank. Next thing I know - BAM - ZAM - WOW - he's up my arm and on my neck. Quick little sucker. I reach up to grab him and he's in the air flying towards the big tanks in the reptile area. Then he ran under the garbage pail. I grabbed the net, lifted the garbage, but he was off to the other tanks and ran behind them!

At this point, I am totally freaking and screaming for Katie to come downstairs.

Luckily I kept him in sight and guided him back towards his tank and the back wall and away from the big basement room. However, I couldn't get the net back behind the tanks.

Katie comes down and he walks out towards the light and his tank like nothing happened and I grab him with the net and then with my hand.

Whole thing took 3 minutes, but scared me to death.

I couldn't deal with losing him. He is my responsibility.

I put him back and gave him some mouse parts with calcium and vitamins. He gobbled that down. Before that he was looking at me from inside the tank, like, "ha ha, I got you!"

Lesson learned. I cannot let me guard down with him, not at all.

Of note, he appears to no worse for the ware and now weights 23G.

Also, Katie was really scared too. However, she was very supportive and hopes, as I do, he calms down a bit as he grows and is handled more.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-27-2019),Dianne (05-28-2019),fadingdaylight (05-28-2019),richardhind1972 (05-28-2019)