Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,455

1 members and 3,454 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    It doesn't matter what any poster posts as rules.

Only the moderators and administrators MAKE and ENFORCE rules. Rules already exist and they apply to everybody's posts, whether it is the original post or someone that replies.

If I post something and do not like the answers, I do not have the power to shut it down or chastise. I can ask a moderator to make that determination. Opinions will vary. We won't always like what we hear. Posts DO go off and on topic, that is part of it and what makes it fun. Only moderators can stop any posting and they will if it is needed.

This forum is VERY well moderated, its part of what I love about it. The moderators are fair and just and no-nonsense. Most members are also absolutely amazing and only rarely have I seen outright nastiness. And that was by people that "come and go". Most likely trolls.

Therefor, no need to make up and post one's own rule. But if that is what Skyriver wants to post, his prerogative. If people take offense, or don't like to get chastised over going off topic a bit, they can ignore this thread. If a real issue develops, it can be brought to an administrators attention.

Lets not fuss at each other anymore, you would think there was a full moon
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2019),cletus (01-22-2019),e_nigma (01-26-2019),jmcrook (01-21-2019),MR Snakes (01-21-2019)

Thanks

Re: What to do when things go wrong? Discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    It doesn't matter what any poster posts as rules.

Only the moderators and administrators MAKE and ENFORCE rules. Rules already exist and they apply to everybody's posts, whether it is the original post or someone that replies.

If I post something and do not like the answers, I do not have the power to shut it down or chastise. I can ask a moderator to make that determination. Opinions will vary. We won't always like what we hear. Posts DO go off and on topic, that is part of it and what makes it fun. Only moderators can stop any posting and they will if it is needed.

This forum is VERY well moderated, its part of what I love about it. The moderators are fair and just and no-nonsense. Most members are also absolutely amazing and only rarely have I seen outright nastiness. And that was by people that "come and go". Most likely trolls.

Therefor, no need to make up and post one's own rule. But if that is what Skyriver wants to post, his prerogative. If people take offense, or don't like to get chastised over going off topic a bit, they can ignore this thread. If a real issue develops, it can be brought to an administrators attention.

Lets not fuss at each other anymore, you would think there was a full moon

We should mud wrestle.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    We should mud wrestle.
    Im lost .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Im lost .....

Welcome to my world.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Im lost .....

Mall u need to do is get back to posting beautiful pics of ur sneaks! LOL

Thanks

from last night (taken with our telescope)

might as well be TOnight, though.

Ok, I've had my bite that was due to not keeping my focus 100% on the snake. (advice, pay attention to the snake, not everything else)

I've had a travel escapee due to not double and triple checking the travel tub (advice, CHECK and check again!)

Anyone else care to share ??
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

This was supposed to be educational and helpful but whatever.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    This was supposed to be educational and helpful but whatever.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

And it already has. And it will be. A little harmless going off topic a bit and ribbing won't change that. That actually goes on in just about every post. Don't take it to heart so much. I have opened up about my mistakes (painful as they were) and others will join in. But it can also be a off topic here and there and it won't hurt no-one. How many times have you had people fall off your roof while you get mauled by your snake ?

Anyone else ? I know we all have made some mistakes and had mishaps. Join in, this is a tell all.
    Zina

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (01-21-2019),Sonny1318 (01-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

I’ve had several bites over the years, only one that constricted though. The one with constriction was totally my fault. Back when I used feeding tubs (MANY years ago when that was common practice), I had put one of my adult boas (about 7’) in a tub to clean his cage. I didn’t use my snake hook like I usually did when taking him out of the tub. He saw a warm incoming object, my hand, and struck and constricted. That was the first time I used rubbing alcohol to make a snake spit me out...worked like a charm. I’ve had bites from a 13’ burm that I startled when I went to take her out if her cage to clean it, she was in shed and I didn’t realize it. When I touched her, she was startled and struck. Lesson learned, ALWAYS use a snake hook with the big ones.

The most spectacular bite was from an 8’ female boa at a show where I was trying to sell her. She had been taken out several times for prospective buyers and been fine, but decided she had enough and nailed me when I took her out again near the end of the show. I was dripping blood on the floor, the vendor next to us was freaking out and wanted to dial 911, and the guy’s girlfriend was a more than a bit freaked out as well. My other half used hand sanitizer to get her to let go, I wrapped my hand up with a towel and cleaned up the floor. I didn’t make that sale. Lesson there, no matter how calm they usually are, they are still wild animals and can be unpredictable.

I have housed snakes together in the past, mostly juvenile litter/clutch-mates (boas and corns), but it isn’t ideal. It makes feeding more difficult because you do have to put them in separate feeding tubs to prevent canibalism- which is still a risk when putting them back together even for species that typically don’t eat other snakes. It also makes tracking individual progress impossible. The adult corns I housed together at my Mom’s when I was buying my house turned out not to be the same sex, so I ended up with an unplanned clutch of eggs. Ultimately snakes are solitary creatures for the most part, cohabitating forces them to compete for the best hides and temperature gradient, literally leaving less dominant animals in the cold, which can cause regurgitation or other feeding issues. Housing them separately allows them to properly thermoregulate and there is no risk of feeding errors.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2019),Sonny1318 (01-21-2019),zina10 (01-21-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I’ve had several bites over the years, only one that constricted though. The one with constriction was totally my fault. Back when I used feeding tubs (MANY years ago when that was common practice), I had put one of my adult boas (about 7’) in a tub to clean his cage. I didn’t use my snake hook like I usually did when taking him out of the tub. He saw a warm incoming object, my hand, and struck and constricted. That was the first time I used rubbing alcohol to make a snake spit me out...worked like a charm. I’ve had bites from a 13’ burm that I startled when I went to take her out if her cage to clean it, she was in shed and I didn’t realize it. When I touched her, she was startled and struck. Lesson learned, ALWAYS use a snake hook with the big ones.

The most spectacular bite was from an 8’ female boa at a show where I was trying to sell her. She had been taken out several times for prospective buyers and been fine, but decided she had enough and nailed me when I took her out again near the end of the show. I was dripping blood on the floor, the vendor next to us was freaking out and wanted to dial 911, and the guy’s girlfriend was a more than a bit freaked out as well. My other half used hand sanitizer to get her to let go, I wrapped my hand up with a towel and cleaned up the floor. I didn’t make that sale. Lesson there, no matter how calm they usually are, they are still wild animals and can be unpredictable.

I have housed snakes together in the past, mostly juvenile litter/clutch-mates (boas and corns), but it isn’t ideal. It makes feeding more difficult because you do have to put them in separate feeding tubs to prevent canibalism- which is still a risk when putting them back together even for species that typically don’t eat other snakes. It also makes tracking individual progress impossible. The adult corns I housed together at my Mom’s when I was buying my house turned out not to be the same sex, so I ended up with an unplanned clutch of eggs. Ultimately snakes are solitary creatures for the most part, cohabitating forces them to compete for the best hides and temperature gradient, literally leaving less dominant animals in the cold, which can cause regurgitation or other feeding issues. Housing them separately allows them to properly thermoregulate and there is no risk of feeding errors.
    Those Boa's, huh

Thank you for sharing, Dianne! And yes, I could see how that would have been bad for the sale, LMAO !!!
    Zina

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast