Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,320

0 members and 3,320 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question I知 new to this BP thing! Couple questions! :)

Hey everyone! New to this site and also for finally having a ball python! I just had a few questions!

1) Tonight while changing his water, my bp struck at my husband. I don稚 know if he scared him or what happened but could this mean my snake is still hungry?
    I feed him once a week, with the fuzzies feeding mice, and my bp is 7(ish) months old. Just wondering what him striking could mean since this was the first time its happened.

2)how often do you guys handle your bp? I usually try to handle mine a few minutes every day except for feeding day and 2-3 days after feeding.

3) When you池e handling, are you supposed to visually notice them breathing? Not by mouth or anything but just but just looking at their body? I just wanted to make sure he is comfortable as possible!

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: I知 new to this BP thing! Couple questions! :)

Hi, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new BP!

1) BPs strike for two reasons: feeding, and self-defence. If your hands smell like mice or rats there is a chance they will strike at you mistaking you for food. A fuzzy is too small for a seven month old ball python, he could be eating adult mice, or at least weanlings or hoppers depending on how big he is. Aim for prey that is around the width of the thickest part of his body (or slightly bigger) and 10-25% of his body weight.

2) I handle mine for 5-15 minutes a day except the day he eats and two days after he eats.

3) I recently got my new BP as well and I've also noticed I can see him breathing when I hold him. A little bit of movement is normal, but if you see their sides heaving that can be a sign they are stressed and breathing hard.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-21-2019),Lord Sorril (01-22-2019),Zincubus (01-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

^This^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Thank you so much for your help! I will go get some bigger ones to feed him today. Do you think I should feed him again if his food hasn稚 been big enough or just wait until next feeding day?? Thanks!

Thanks

No problem!

Someone with more experience may be able to give a better answer, but since he has already begun digesting the last mouse you gave him, I would say at least wait 4-5 days before feeding him again.

Thanks

1. A lot of the time snakes will do a defensive strike if they're scared, so I think your husband may have startled him. They may strike if your hands smell like rodents too, but I've found ball pythons are not as likely to do that as other snakes.

That said, fuzzy mice are way too small. An average sized hatchling can eat hopper mice right out of the egg. As previously mentioned, prey should be roughly as thick as the snake at the thickest part of it's body, or 10-15% of his body weight. 25% is too much if fed weekly, imo.

2. I handle mine once a week. There are some who say they don't need handling at all, but there's no harm as long as you're doing it in moderation. If you have them out for too long, take them out too often, or handle them roughly it can stress them out. It's also not a good idea to handle them when they're in shed. Most of them are uncomfortable then and don't like being touched.

3. I don't notice most of mine breathing. Sometimes I do, but usually they only breathe hard when stressed.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (01-23-2019),Luvyna (01-22-2019)

Thanks

I handle mine at least three times a week. After he eats I leave him alone for 2 days. I do pick him up occasionally when he's in shed but I don't keep him out very long.
    Caught him out exploring tonight. The flash of the camera made the front part of his body look lighter but it's the same color as a rest of him.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_rotten1 View Post
    An average sized hatchling can eat hopper mice right out of the egg. As previously mentioned, prey should be roughly as thick as the snake at the thickest part of it's body, or 10-15% of his body weight. 25% is too much if fed weekly, imo.
    Thanks for the correction! I meant to type 15% but I hit the 2 instead of the 1 oops. Agreed that 25% is too much.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (01-23-2019),the_rotten1 (01-22-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    I handle mine at least three times a week. After he eats I leave him alone for 2 days. I do pick him up occasionally when he's in shed but I don't keep him out very long.
    Caught him out exploring tonight. The flash of the camera made the front part of his body look lighter but it's the same color as a rest of him.

Jellybeans^^^^???

Thanks

Yep.. I just call him Beans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast