Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,296

0 members and 3,296 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

weird feeding question; rats too big

Okay, here we go. The store I used to buy rats at went out of the business, so I started having to buy rats online. I've only done it twice so far. The first time I got rats too small by accident, but I like, "no big deal, I'll just feed him a couple at a time." This time, though, I accidentally got rats far too big. They are easily twice his width, if not more, so feeding them to him whole is out of the question. I almost wondered if I would have the stomach to cut them into pieces while still frozen, but upon thawing it seemed like that would be messy, plus would he even want them after that if they don't look like his normal food, y'know? So here I am, looking for some advice before I exhaust all my options and resign myself to the fact that I threw away $50 on rats that I can't feed my snake. I'm going somewhere tomorrow where I can stop by some kind of pet store and get him a couple. I don't normally do that, but of course he has to eat. But does anyone on here have advice, has anyone accidentally gotten rats too big for their snake before and found a solution, or do I just need to find an alternative use for these rats and get ones more his size?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts
    Run a local ad or otherwise check around locally for someone you can re-sell (or trade) these large rats to. Do NOT cut them up...it won't go over well.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-19-2019),eighthrowpawn (01-19-2019)

Thanks

Re: weird feeding question; rats too big

Okay, thank you. I kind of figured as much, plus didn't think I had the stomach for it anyhow. I will probably be able to find someone who has a reptile that can eat them, I guess I wanted to verify with someone else that had some more experience possibly that there was not much I could do. Guess it's just the risk you run sometimes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Run a local ad or otherwise check around locally for someone you can re-sell (or trade) these large rats to. Do NOT cut them up...it won't go over well.
    No, no. Cut them up. Put'em in the microwave. Oh, and make sure you film it!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    No, no. Cut them up. Put'em in the microwave. Oh, and make sure you film it!
    And if you're gonna microwave them, DON'T cut them up first...they'll explode nicely if you don't. Saves all that hacking apart...
    Don't be surprised if your dog runs to the kitchen to investigate whatever's reeking.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-19-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    And if you're gonna microwave them, DON'T cut them up first...they'll explode nicely if you don't. Saves all that hacking apart...
    Don't be surprised if your dog runs to the kitchen to investigate whatever's reeking.
    And I'd do the whole bag at the same time. Popcorn anybody?