Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,248

1 members and 3,247 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Really need the community’s help on what new snake to get.

As you guys know I made a post awhile ago about a 125 gallon tank that I am getting for a steal (25 bucks). I was gonna upgrade my BP to it. The point was made about how secretive these snakes really are and what would he do with 6 feet of tank. I still am months away I need to order rhp’s and thermostats and get the tank ready. But in your honest opinion what would be a good snake for a tank this size. I’m interested in Mexican black king snakes and cribo’s but what are some other good options...thanks everyone also when I start the new tank build I’ll start a progression thread.

Thanks

Re: Really need the community’s help on what new snake to get.

Quote Originally Posted by DandD View Post
    As you guys know I made a post awhile ago about a 125 gallon tank that I am getting for a steal (25 bucks). I was gonna upgrade my BP to it. The point was made about how secretive these snakes really are and what would he do with 6 feet of tank. I still am months away I need to order rhp’s and thermostats and get the tank ready. But in your honest opinion what would be a good snake for a tank this size. I’m interested in Mexican black king snakes and cribo’s but what are some other good options...thanks everyone also when I start the new tank build I’ll start a progression thread.
    That would probably work for a red tail boa as well if u are interested in them. I personally only own ball pythons and havent considered anything bigger. My fiance hates snakes and is only letting me keep the 1 lol. If i got a big snake shed kill me

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dylan_ For This Useful Post:

DandD (01-14-2019),Gio (01-14-2019)

Thanks

That size tank u can pretty much put what you want...so what do you want?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

DandD (01-14-2019)

Thanks

I vote carpet python! But in the end you need to search species within a size range and learn all you can about your top pics. I'm sure one will just seem to pop out at you! I want plenty I haven't seen yet. The second I see it....yup..gonna have to get me one of those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1.0 banana bee
    0.1 butter pastel
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 mojave het clown
    1.2 DH albino pied
    0.1 OD YB pastel
    1.0 nuclear (butter,fire)
    0.1 lavender albino het pied
    1.1 enchi clown / clown
    0.1 superfly sugar
    1.0 freeway

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Knowell For This Useful Post:

DandD (01-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,899 Times in 11,890 Posts
    If that tank was at my house, I'd put one of my 7' male Florida (yellow x gulf hammock) rat snakes in there, with climbing branches & all. The 'obsoleta'
    group are all great pets, active and will climb & even snooze out in branches. Fun snakes, not shy. Besides yellow & gulf hammock, FL is home to the
    bright orange Everglades rat snakes, & then there's gray, black & amelanistic/"albino" versions from farther north states- all good choices IMO.

If you want something more exotic & longer (rarely up to a slender 10') look into Taiwan Beauty rat snakes. Handled from hatchlings, they're good pets too.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

DandD (01-14-2019),Gio (01-14-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If that tank was at my house, I'd put one of my 7' male Florida (yellow x gulf hammock) rat snakes in there, with climbing branches & all. The 'obsoleta'
    group are all great pets, active and will climb & even snooze out in branches. Fun snakes, not shy. Besides yellow & gulf hammock, FL is home to the
    bright orange Everglades rat snakes, & then there's gray, black & amelanistic/"albino" versions from farther north states- all good choices IMO.

If you want something more exotic & longer (rarely up to a slender 10') look into Taiwan Beauty rat snakes. Handled from hatchlings, they're good pets too.
    I do like the beauty snakes but have heard they where pretty bitey. I also though it would be cool to get a variety of garter snake morphs and have a community tank. From catching them all summer in my garden I’m concerned about musking I’m not scared of it but it’s pretty unpleasant. Imagine a tank full of musk lol.
    Last edited by DandD; 01-14-2019 at 10:09 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DandD For This Useful Post:

IslandJack (01-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,899 Times in 11,890 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DandD View Post
    I do like the beauty snakes but have heard they where pretty bitey. I also though it would be cool to get a variety of garter snake morphs and have a community tank. From catching them all summer in my garden I’m concerned about musking I’m not scared of it but it’s pretty unpleasant. Imagine a tank full of musk lol.
    I've kept & raised all the rat snakes I mentioned (bred some too, & others). They all make good pets if you get a hatchling to start with. Taiwan Beauty snakes
    are more like a racer type snake in terms of handling: they are by far the least likely to sit still & resent a heavy-hand that over-restrains them, but I didn't have
    many nips at all. As pets though, I do prefer our U.S. rat snakes, & keep in mind that even a small adult can handle a large rat snake- they aren't heavy like a boa.

I did have a large BCI for 12 years too...also a good pet, but for me, bigger (& heavier) than I prefer to handle. But she was a homeless rescue when she came my
    way, and 7.5' long when she went to live with friends of mine that were "into" big snakes. She had more attitude than all my rat snakes put together at first...which
    is why she was "free", lol. My patience paid off though, never even one bite, & she got to where she'd snuggle around my waist & watch movies for a couple hours. The biggest trouble I had with her was getting her BACK into her cage...she didn't want to go, haha!

It all comes down to what YOU want...all snakes have pros & cons. I like but have never kept garter snakes....I enjoy them in my yard, but a cage full of musk, not
    so much, lol..

Another kind of snake that's pretty intelligent (as snakes go) & not dull but not hard to handle is a bull snake...or a gopher snake or a pine snake. (all similar)
    Any of these would make great use of a huge cage, & they're easy to feed f/t too.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-14-2019 at 10:44 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

DandD (01-14-2019),paulh (01-15-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    A Cali king would love that amount of space, especially a female. I would go for active snakes that do well without humidity requirements, like corns, gardner, milk, kings... Even a woma would make use of that space.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-15-2019),DandD (01-14-2019),KevinK (01-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

With a tank that size, you’ve got a great selection to choose from. Easiest are going to be your colubrids because for the most part ambient room temps and humidity will work, maybe just add a small to moderate basking area. This would comfortably house even the largest rats snakes with plenty of room for them to cruise around. They tend to be out in the open more, especially if you were to make use of the verticle space with branches. This would also work for carpet pythons with a bit of tweaking to retain more humidity, possibly a wood panel or plexiglass cover.

I haven’t kept any of the king snakes, so I’m not familiar with their habits. That said, I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work for them as well. The MBK are awesome looking snakes. Redtail boas (common or true redtail localities) would also work with some tweaking for humidity, though depending on the height might make taking heavy bodied snakes out a chore.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

DandD (01-14-2019)

Thanks

I’m leaning towards a boa but the king snakes are very cool. A friend of mine has a boa and it’s the calmest snake and handles so well. My dream snakes are Brazilian rainbows but the crazy humidity would be nerve racking. Although I know I can make it work I’m just not sure I’d be ready for that kind of commitment yet

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast