Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,232

2 members and 3,230 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Threaded View

Thanks

Finalising a bioactive viv

Hi All,

Just for fun I have attached a pic of my nearly done bioactive setup for my royal (BP), Leo. He's about a year old, growing out of his baby viv so this should be his "forever" home (120cm x 40 x 40).

I have a 75W RHP on the left side ceiling, two 22W Jungle Dawn LEDs, and there are two air vents at the back that I'd like to grow plants up to hide if possible. The horizontal cork is filled with substrate for growing plants in for this purpose.

As I wait for the plants to establish for a bit (I'm dying to introduce Leo to his new home) I would value any thoughts people have on finishing things off:

- I have a cork "cave" on the left (under the RHP), and an exo terra cave on the right (cool side) which is slightly buried as it doesn't look so natural in the new setting. Most bioactive set ups that I have seen are for frogs and lizards that don't need caves to hide like royals do. Do people with bioactive setups for their royals have any issues with the clean up crew dealing with poop/urates in caves? I'm a little concerned that things may fester! One solution may be to introduce even more plants on the right side that Leo can hide behind/under.

- The viv is in a fairly cold room, and so I'm getting a lot of condensation on the glass (humidity iussues have flipped since the glass viv!). Does anyone have a good solution for condensation on the sliding doors?

- I suspect that keeping the plants alive is going to be the biggest challenge... do any plant experts have any reflections on my arrangement in the tank? Also, any recommendations for frequency of watering and also how many hours/day to turn LEDs on for (currently 7am-10pm).

Thanks to all the wonderful community here!

Chris

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThinkSta For This Useful Post:

spiderfreddie (01-14-2019),Starscream (01-11-2019)