Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,160

1 members and 3,159 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

New, Odd Behavior.

So this is more of me wanting some insight on this behavior rather than being totally concerned about it.

Recently, my female ball python has been showing some odd behavior and I'm just curious as to why she does it. For the past few days she's been burrowing underneath her water dish and just sitting there with her head resting on her rock. I helped her out the first time thinking that she had gotten herself stuck under there but I came home later that day to see that she had wiggled her way back under. So I'm assuming she is able to get out just fine on her own.

I wanted to see if it was just a one time thing where she got under there accidently by just doing general snake things. So I dug the water dish deeper into her substrate and I watched her burrow and wiggle her way back underneath it again. I don't know why she is so persistent to get underneath her water dish! Her heating pad is on the other side of the cage under her hide, so I can't see the benefit of her wiggling under there.

I am going to note that she's been on a feeding strike the last two weeks, but she isn't losing any weight, she simply just not interested in food at the moment. I thought I'd add that in here although I wouldn't see how her feeding strike would alter her behavior this much.

Here are a few pictures of her just hanging out under her water dish:

Does anybody have any insight on why she could be acting like this or does she just simple like being under her water dish?
    Last edited by SnakeBrat; 01-05-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    Going under the water bowl probably means she wants to be cooler (and her 'cool side hide' doesn't feel "secure") & is slowly going into a shed cycle.

Many snakes like to feel wedged in for safety from predators...if their man-made hides are too big, try stuffing in some paper to close in the space.
    Big doorways & high ceilings are NOT their 'thing'.

She's adorable in those pictures anyway... and I see you're new around here, so
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-05-2019 at 06:23 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

SnakeBrat (01-05-2019)

Thanks
    Ohhh! Okay that makes a lot of sense. I lower the temp a little bit on her cool side and see if that helps a little bit.
    Her hide on her warm side isn't big at all, just enough so that she can get in it comfortably. So it's probably a heat issue!

Thanks for the insight!
    Yes, she is a very adorable noodle haha.

Yep I am new! Actually made this account a little while ago but just recently got approved.
    Last edited by SnakeBrat; 01-05-2019 at 06:27 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SnakeBrat For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-05-2019)

Thanks
    What are the highest & lowest temperatures in her enclosure? Hopefully your heat is controlled by thermostat? How are you taking readings & what is the humidity?

Snakes also don't like bright lights, so that's another possible reason for a snake to burrow under things.

Thanks
    The lowest temperature in her tank is currently 78 degrees fahrenheit and her highest temp is 90 degrees fahrenheit. I do controlled by thermostat and her heating pad (I know you aren't supposed to use lamps with ball pythons) and her humidity currently is 57%. I take readings every day and write them down, I have a digital thermometer and a digital humidity gauge to take it from.
    Yeah unfortunately my room light is pretty bright so I was thinking of putting a towel on the back and one side of the tank to dim it for her, although my light is off most of the time when I'm at work or just not in it in general. She was doing this in the middle of the night too, so I really think it just comes down to temperatures and her wanting to cool down a bit or just wanting to hide.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SnakeBrat For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-05-2019)

Thanks
    Very good! Does she have a hide on the cool side too?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-05-2019)

Thanks
    Yep! She honestly doesn't use it that much compared to her warm hide, but she will still go in it from time to time.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Sounds to me like your snake just likes the tight safety of being under the water dish.
    They like it snug.

I actually switched most of my hides out and use large plastic dog dishes that are hollow underneath. All my snakes (except my tiny little hognose) use them as hides now.

They also help add humidity to the enclosures

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-05-2019)

Thanks
    Yeah seems like she just likes it under there! Well as long as she's not stuck then its perfectly fine.