Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,064

3 members and 3,061 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Should/Can I Switch to a Tub?

Alright, I'm planning on redoing my BPs enclosure. Everything's unorganized and messy and I don't like it. I would love some advise on some things, though.

I'm thinking about switching him to a tub. Right now he's in a 40 gallon tank. Keeping a BP in a tank can be done, but it's sure a lot of work to maintain humidity and heat, especially when you have a CHE killing the moisture. So I may want to switch to a tub.

Here's the thing, though; the room can get fairly cold, especially in the winter. The room is generally around 68f, but it can get colder at night, I would imagine as low as 50f.

I would have it on my UTH with thermostat but is my situation just too cold to have him in a tub? I switched from UTH to CHE this winter because his ambient temp was way too low. However tanks also don't retain heat as much as tubs. What do you guys think?

Another question, what substrate do you like to use in tubs? I'm using eco earth right now to maintain humidity in a tank, but it's sooo messy and dusty and a pain to expand.

At the pet store you can get that shredded aspen for snakes but I noticed there's also the aspen "chips" type bedding for rabbits, hamsters etc in bulk for the same price as a small bag of snake aspen. Does aspen not dry out the enclosure at all (it says "absorbant")? And do you think that these might be okay?:

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...animal-bedding

https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/l...ml?cgid=600115

Thanks for the help!

Thanks

Re: Should/Can I Switch to a Tub?

Just in regards to tanks. I live in a cold environment and run a 150 watt Che in a 40gal long tank. I added insulation to the screen top and it changed my world. I mist maybe once every two days and have a humid hide and my temps stay good. Might help for the time being till you get your tub set up. There is a diy tub setup on here that has a Che and light setup.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,874 Times in 4,783 Posts
    If you are worried about the tub being too cold you can use a UTH on both sides. Set one 90-92*F, the other about 82*F. Turn off the cool side UTH during the summer when your room is warmer.

Thanks
    Reptile Prime for substrate. Good discussion recently here.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...=reptile+prime

Thanks

Reptile prime looks good.. However it seems to be quite pricy compared to a $5 brick of eco earth..

I'm liking the idea of the aspen I posted, however slightly worried it will kill the humidity (maybe I'm just paranoid from having to maintain humidity in a tank). Any dangers that come with aspen that I should be aware of?

Also, I've seen people use tubs with Velcro to keep it locked. Would a latched lid suffice on its own?

I would really prefer not to have to get a second thermostat, but I will do what is necessary if it gets too cold.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Should/Can I Switch to a Tub?

I have a belly heat rack and since the room is only a few degrees too cold (72 day, 70 at night, roughly 75 to 72 in the tubs) I use one of these dimmer domes and a 150W CHE to heat the air near the rack. Mine is for more than 1 tub and further away, so a single tub would probably be fine with a lower watt CHE.

They're not a true thermostat, but if you monitor it closely, it works well enough for winter time ambients for me.
    https://www.chewy.com/flukers-clamp-...5-in/dp/129141

I'd keep it off the plastic directly on a tub. Even though the price is cheap on Chewy, a PetCo near me sells them for $25 or so each alongside the on/off version and they've worked very well for me so far.

I love reptile prime for humidity. Aspen is awful and can't be misted or you risk molds and stuff.

For tubs, I'd avoid any you feel you need velcro.. that has a sticky side and has all the same risks of tape if anything happened. Try to find a tub that has latches or make holes and use dog leash style clips or climbing clips (caribiners?) to hold it closed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 01-04-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

With those low ambient room temps you will definitely need to make some modifications to the tub. Either 2 heat pads on thermostats as advised, or cutting a hole in the lid and using mesh/wire screen and some type of edge protector with a low wattage heat lamp or CHE. There are some tutorials online on how to do this. You could also increase the room temp.

With that said, it's usually just as easy to make modifications to glass tanks to hold humidity as it is to ensure ambient temps in a tub. Using a good substrate, covering the lid, covering sides with insulation, making humid hide, using a damp towel, etc. are all possible ideas.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks
    Thanks for the help!

I actually already use that dimmer lamp for my CHE. I never thought of using it near the tub. That's a good idea.

My glass tank is being a pain with temps and humidity right now. I've got the lid covered in foil, damp eco earth, and I tried to put fiberglass insulation around it, but it didn't help.

I'm really tempted to switch to a tub, now. I live with others who tend to always be "hot" and like to keep the windows open. But we do have a heater so I'll see what I can bug them about haha

Would this tub be too big for him? His tank is 3 feet long, as is this tub so it's really like the same size. He's not a big snake, but I'd like him to have a little room.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hefty-52-...MaAr-DEALw_wcB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 55fingers View Post

Would this tub be too big for him? His tank is 3 feet long, as is this tub so it's really like the same size. He's not a big snake, but I'd like him to have a little room.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hefty-52-...MaAr-DEALw_wcB
    That's the tub I built my rack around. My adult male is 4' long and he's in one of those tubs.

They make a 100qt that is the same length/width and is like 12" tall if you wanted extra room, since this is a stand alone tub.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Hefty-25-Gall...Lid/1000505547

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 01-04-2019 at 09:03 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

55fingers (01-05-2019)