Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,246

1 members and 3,245 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

A frustrating Bally Python URI situation

*EDIT: A frustrating BALL Python URI situation ;-;

I know it isn't uncommon that Bps get URI's and that people take them to the vet, get antibiotics, and problem solved.

Edwin my BP has been to the vet three times over the past year (got him last Feb). Each time I was told to give him injections every three days. I hated giving him shots and he hated getting them. I have done this after three different separate visits to the vet. Edwin's symptoms would lesson when on the antibiotic, but wouldn't ever fully dissipate. I decided to do more research, and come to you guys for help before spending more money on antibiotics that are not doing the trick. Just to mention, he is in a bin set up with two hides one on cold and one on hot side. He has accesses to enrichment, and water. Edwin is always a very good eater. He is 836 grams (if my digitial scale is correct), and eats a rat once a week.

Before the first visit I had Edwin on coconut fiber with a temp gradient of 85F on the hot side and cold side that stayed between 75-80 degrees. Humidity in the tank was kept around 55-60%. The most prominent symptom he had was a faint rice krispy crackle occasionally when breathing. He had no significant mucus bubbles or anything super alarming like that. There was a slight build up of mucus in the mouth as well.
    - Vet said to put him on paper towel until he is better, and administer the antibiotic injections.

Second visit was very similar. All the same temps, and humidity as before. Same symptoms.
    - Vet said the same thing.

Third visit, he had been on paper towel some time now, and everything was the same as before when it comes to enclosure parameters. Same symptoms.
    - This time the vet gave me the injections and told me to up his temperature to the low to mid 90s. She said if I could keep it around 93-95 that that would be ideal. She said to cut down on the humidity as well. She said to keep it around 50% humidity.

Now, I did all of the things the vet recommended the last time I visited with Edwin (Except keep his temp that high. I kept him at 90-91). It seems today when I get him out to handle him (he is docile), he sounds like he has the crackiling going on, and I pulled down his lip on the side just a bit and saw mucus. Yay. -.- This boy is my baby, and all I want is for this kid to be healthy, and we can't catch a break. I really am looking forwards to hearing what you guys have to say about all this, and what the vet suggested.

Should I just cart him back for the vet or is there something else I can be doing to help the dude out?

Thanks,
    Maddie and Edwin
    Last edited by Madburnit; 01-02-2019 at 12:12 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Madburnit For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (01-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,867 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Was he prescribed the same antibiotic each time? Did the vet do a culture/sensitivity to select the correct antibiotic for his URI?

Temps should be 82-83 cool to 92-95 hot. I would get his humidity as high as possible as it helps keep the mucous moist so he can expel it. When you have a head cold or sinus infection, a nice hot steamy shower helps you clear the crud out of your sinuses and throat.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-02-2019),zina10 (01-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Seems like you have the husbandry in order and your boy is eating well. That is great right there !

Were those vets actual reptile experienced vets ? Has any of them ever run a culture?? That is so important !! There are different kinds of causes for URI and some have need a different treatment then others. You need to know what is causing the problem. Virus? Bacteria? Secondary infections?

Usually a lung wash/culture is done and then the snake is put on a broad spectrum antibiotic to begin treatment. Once the culture comes back, you may have to switch to different antibiotics because the germs may be resistant to the one you use. There could also be a fungus in the lungs, which requires a anti fungal med. Without knowing what is going on in there, treatment is a stab in the dark.

Also, treatment sometimes has to be given for a couple of month, rather then just a couple of weeks. What meds were you given? How long was treatment ?

Most likely the meds you got started to help "some" but weren't enough or the right ones, and the problem returns. Sometimes worse then before.

That is why it is so very important to have a very experienced reptile vet when you take a snake to the vet.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-02-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am curious on the results of each cultures and the lengths of treatment each time.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-02-2019)

Thanks
    My vet is a certified exotic vet, so I know that much. She also says she owns her own Bp, but she keeps it on aspen...I don't prefer aspen as a type of substrate for Bps lol.

Thanks for the tip I'll warm him up more, and increase humidity.

SHE TOOK NO CULTURES! Maybe this is why I'm having such a difficult time. Honestly, she never mentioned it at all. He was treated with two different types of antibiotics. I wish that I knew what they were but I'm not sure. Each time I gave him an injection every third day for 21 days total.

I'm really concerned now that she never took cultures. Should I look for a different vet?

Should I invest in exotic pet insurance for him, or is that not necessary?

Thanks

Re: A frustrating Bally Python URI situation

I wouldn't worry about insurance right now, they usually don't cover existing problems anyway.

Honestly, if you have a choice, I would try a different vet. There is no excuse at all that there was no culture taken, esp. Since this was the third time you came in with the same problem. This makes no sense and causes unnecessary stress on the animal.

Treatment was also rather short, but again, without a culture it's a stab in the dark anyhow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-02-2019)

Thanks
    Okay, makes sense. Yeah, honestly really bizarre.

do you think it would be too much for me to find a new vet, and ask them to do a culture and wait for the results to come in before paying for treatment? Or is that ill advised?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts
    I've never looked into "exotic pet insurance" but I'd sure find another experienced herp vet if I were you, and don't be afraid to bring up the subject of a culture
    being done if they don't. Some vets don't offer when they should -maybe they feel the cost of a culture may scare off their patient, & while it's true that it costs
    more, it's the logical approach. Otherwise you waste time while you give meds that aren't effective, may cause pain, and waste time allowing the illness to get
    worse. If you end up trying several meds without a culture, you've wasted money anyway, sorry to say. I wonder how many snakes this vet actually sees?

Quote Originally Posted by Madburnit View Post
    ... He was treated with two different types of antibiotics. I wish that I knew what they were but I'm not sure. Each time I gave him an injection every third day for 21 days total....
    Without letting them know you won't be back, I'd call their office & ASK what drugs he was treated with...write it down "for your notes" (don't tell them it's for
    his next vet, lol.) Ask the dosages too.

*****You need to find out EXACTLY what your snake has already been treated with & the dosage he was given, especially if you take him to another vet.*****
    For best results, your new vet needs not only to do a culture, but know what didn't work before. And some meds are more harsh on a snake's body than others.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-02-2019 at 01:11 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-02-2019)

Thanks

Re: A frustrating Bally Python URI situation

Quote Originally Posted by Madburnit View Post
    Okay, makes sense. Yeah, honestly really bizarre.

do you think it would be too much for me to find a new vet, and ask them to do a culture and wait for the results to come in before paying for treatment? Or is that ill advised?
    That's not just ill advised but you won't find a vet that will agree to that.
    The downside to finding a new vet is that they need to start from scrap. While you can give them info about what has been done, and you need to give the entire history of everything, they need to do a examination (even your old vet would have to, over again). Then the lung wash. That in itself is a procedure and will cost some money. Then they will most likely give you some broad spectrum antibiotic to start with, to keep the issue from getting out of hand. What they will give you may depend on what you got before. It might not be that you had the wrong meds per say, it might be that they weren't given for long enough. But again, without a culture, you don't know!

What you can do is sort of interview a new vet. Explain you've been dealing with this issue 3 times and you'd like to know how the vet would approach this issue. Talk about wanting a culture and don't be afraid to ask about whether they are specialized in reptiles. If any vet would take offense at those questions, its not the vet you want anyway.
    Zina

16. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-02-2019)

Thanks
    I have put a good bit of money into his treatment already, so it is disheartening when the illness returns.
    I will collect all that information tomorrow and compile it. Ill just say I like to keep detailed records, which I will do from now on for sure lol.
    I'm definitely going to have to do some research on the exotic vets near me and dig a little more into their specialties in exotics.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madburnit For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-02-2019),zina10 (01-02-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast