Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,165

2 members and 3,163 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Nippy new ball python

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Coconut fiber/Wood Chips/Reptichip etc..... ive never used anything but Kraft/Butcher Paper myself. But I just looked back and see that it is a 20 gallon you’re using so any kind of overhead heat like a CHE /Lamp is going to ddry the-heck out of it. I have a tank that I use for quarantine and I put a heat mat underneath the tank where the water bowl is making the water evaporate and that certainly helps. Went from 45% to 58-60%.
    You didn’t say how you were heating i dont think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was just a "drive-by" poster. LOL

I think that was for the OP.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-01-2019)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taying View Post
    My water bowl is 7” x 8.5” and 2” deep. I bought that was big since that’s how eco terra identified the size, my bad!

Ill try to insulate the outside before insulating the inside, but I’m not sure how it helps with humidity. To me, it makes since with heat since heat can escape through glass, but water doesn’t travel through glass so the reasoning behind it is strange to me.
    You’re doing great, just got a fine-tune things

Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Taying (01-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    On temps you say your hot side is 90 to 95? If that’s true you might want to drop that 5 or 6 degrees, depending how your getting that measurement that is. That might help a very small amount with humidity too. That definitely seems a little warm to me for a little guy.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-01-2019),Taying (01-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,831 Times in 11,848 Posts

... Would insulating the outside help with humidity? ...
    Much better to insulate the outside of a tank...and that's only to help retain warmth, it has NO effect on humidity. Humidity is affected by how much air flow there
    is...ie. how much you cover the screen top. The plastic enclosures sold for snakes are only "better for retaining humidity" because there are only a few tiny gaps for
    air flow.

Covering the sides (even just with paper for now) to block the snake's view will help him settle in...he's just scared, his whole world just changed & it's confusing...
    he feels threatened, don't take it personally. At least a week to settle in with no handling & no disruptions that aren't absolutely essential...as already mentioned.

And for any new snake, it's best to let them settle in to the point that they feed readily at least a couple of times before you interact with them...it's most important
    that they eat.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (01-01-2019),Taying (01-01-2019)

Thanks

That can be typical....
    Yes leaving him alone to decompress is best for a week..
    If he still strikes, hold your hand up and let him strike away.
    They learn quickly it's not effective

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

cfd701 (01-01-2019),MR Snakes (01-01-2019),Taying (01-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Coconut fiber/Wood Chips/Reptichip etc..... ive never used anything but Kraft/Butcher Paper myself. But I just looked back and see that it is a 20 gallon you’re using so any kind of overhead heat like a CHE /Lamp is going to ddry the-heck out of it. I have a tank that I use for quarantine and I put a heat mat underneath the tank where the water bowl is making the water evaporate and that certainly helps. Went from 45% to 58-60%.
    You didn’t say how you were heating i dont think.

I have an infrared heat lamp with a heating pad underneath. I had just the pad controlled by a thermostat but it never made the tank warm enough. The heat dome is currently resting on the top of the screen as I’m waiting to get the stand shipped in which may help reduce the temp a couple degrees and slow down humidity loss. I am purchasing sphagnum as well to place inside for moisture control.
    Last edited by Taying; 01-01-2019 at 07:09 PM.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

I have an infrared heat lamp with a heating pad underneath. I had just the pad controlled by a thermostat but it never made the tank warm enough. The heat dome is currently resting on the top of the screen as I’m waiting to get the stand shipped in which may help reduce the temp a couple degrees and slow down humidity loss. I am purchasing sphagnum as well to place inside for moisture control.
    Yup I would of recommended a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) instead of the Heat Lamp. They dont dry things out as bad and cost about the same but they still kill humidity.. as far as the Heat Mat (Uth) they are only for the Hot spot and thats why it didnt warm the tank.
    Let me give you advice for the situation your in... this is based on a limited budget and the fact your using a Glass tank. Ditch the Heat Lamp, get another UTH and heat the entire floor of the enclosure. This will accomplish a couple things. One you wont dry your tank out and the other UTH will warm the water eevaporating it and creating humidity, and 2 wherever the snake is it will be within safe temps.
    You would set the Hotside mat to 90 and the Cool side mat to 80.
    Now on another note, your tanks small. I would NOT buy another UTH for that small tank myself, I would find a 40 gallon Breeder. You would need the Big Heat mats for a 40gallon Breeder tank. Then the 2 Big heat mats would basically touch eachother heating the entire floor. If you buy a smaller mat now for that little tank you’re basically going to throw that money away when you upgrade and that tank is too small. However I have bought and sold things I was done with on FB marketplace for years now... so you do whats best for you.
    WE all kept SNAKES in this fashion 30 years ago with only heating the floors (heat rocks and heat mats) so this works just fine and will keep your snakes healthy.
    It’s not the advanced way of course but I’m giving you a healthy & Safe way for your situation.

Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Shayne (01-02-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12