Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,308

5 members and 3,303 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Calling all knitters!

I'd really love to knit, it's extremely therapeutic, best of all is knitting while watching a movie and having a snake on my lap.

My main love is sock knitting. I always have socks going in my purse and work bag. I have started to use the leftover yarn to make fingerless gloves, I also made baby hats sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (02-08-2019),Bogertophis (12-31-2018),Dianne (12-31-2018),hilabeans (12-31-2018),silverdreams (01-01-2019),tttaylorrr (01-04-2019),zina10 (12-31-2018)

Thanks

Re: Calling all knitters!

I once made a sweater for my dog and she absolutely hated it hahaha

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-31-2018),Dianne (12-31-2018),silverdreams (01-01-2019),tttaylorrr (01-04-2019),zina10 (12-31-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Your work is beautiful! And I see you use wooden needles, too. That's all I will use. I find they don't make my fingers ache like metal ones do. I once crocheted a sweater for my cat....if looks could kill...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-31-2018),FollowTheSun (12-31-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Your work is beautiful! And I see you use wooden needles, too. That's all I will use. I find they don't make my fingers ache like metal ones do. I once crocheted a sweater for my cat....if looks could kill...lol

Thanks! Yours too! You have SO many socks! I have a drawer full but have sold/gifted most of mine. You are right they last forever when washed on gentle and air dried.

Your cat sweater is Great!! The expression!

I have joint hypermobility, and knitting on anything larger than size 2 woodens hurts. I finally just accepted this and put away all the bigger needles and gave way most of the worsted and bulky yarns.

I LOVE Knitpicks! Most of my sock yarn is from there (favorite is Felici self striping) but sometimes I try other stuff. I recognized a lot of yarn from your pics!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I do not but my best friend does, here is what she made me for Christmas.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    That's so great! Your friend put lots of time into that and she's very good!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (01-01-2019),zina10 (01-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    I have joint hypermobility, and knitting on anything larger than size 2 woodens hurts. I finally just accepted this and put away all the bigger needles and gave way most of the worsted and bulky yarns.
    OMG! FollowTheSun, amazing work! I don't knit, but now I'm dying to learn! And you have joint hypermobility, too?? I have severe hEDS and can't work currently, and I'm sure I'd have to take lots of breaks knitting, but I need more things to occupy my time. What are the best resources to learn to knit, and do you have any other tips on knitting with hypermobility?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Sarah G.
    -----------

1.1 Ball Pythons, Kermit & Lily | 0.1 Corn Snake, Princess Coils | 1.0 Betta Fish, Orchid | 9.4 Goldfish | 1.0 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure, Gremlin | 0.1 Carolina Dog, Foxy | 0.1 Cat, Blaze

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverdreams View Post
    OMG! FollowTheSun, amazing work! I don't knit, but now I'm dying to learn! And you have joint hypermobility, too?? I have severe hEDS and can't work currently, and I'm sure I'd have to take lots of breaks knitting, but I need more things to occupy my time. What are the best resources to learn to knit, and do you have any other tips on knitting with hypermobility?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    That's exactly what I have too!! hEDS! And my youngest daughter has it too, more severely than I do (three knee surgeries so far at age 14 and mild POTS).

I'm sorry to hear you can't work right now. What did you do? I'm a nurse, and I can still work, thankfully, but it's hard sometimes and I know that I will eventually have to leave bedside nursing. I have a job as a float nurse so I can choose my own schedule. I work pretty much every other day (one day of recovery for every day of work), and I go to work with support hose, soft knee and ankle braces to protect my problem areas. And so far I'm still working, although it's not always easy. I always hurt somewhere. Right now my L shoulder is the problem child, but it's getting better. I have severe IT band syndrome, that's my main issue, but also severely injured my ankle last year, and my L wrist. I also get crooks in my neck a lot when I sleep, and sometimes use a soft neck brace. My weighted blanket is the best thing ever!

Please tell me more about your hEDS if you don't mind. It's hard to find others who truly get it. What are your problem areas? For me it's pretty much everything!

back to knitting: I sleep with a brace on my left wrist, sometimes both wrists in order to give maximum rest and healing between knitting sessions. I have a smaller wrist brace I will sometimes use on the left wrist during knitting, too. I use only the tiny needles, and I take a lot of breaks, which is why it takes awhile to finish a pair of socks. Since I work every other day, I knit every other day so that gives me breaks from it. Sometimes I have to take long breaks for a week or two.

The smaller wood needles are most comfortable. I learned to knit from a friend but the website knittinghelp.com was my main reference to get the basic stitches down. I don't do fancy complicated patterns that involve a lot of bending and twisting. I just do simple knit-purl. It's too bad you probably don't live closer or I'd teach you. You can find knitting classes at most yarn supply stores. Just explain you can only use small needles due to EDS and I'm sure they'd work with you. No bigger than size 8 for sure (I can only use size 1-2).

I have recently discovered painting my nails as a creative outlet. I'm not very good at it but it's fun to change the colors and I watch movies while I paint and let it dry.

I "read" a lot with Audible and podcasts. I was into jigsaw puzzles but bending over the puzzles hurts.
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 01-01-2019 at 12:52 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    That's exactly what I have too!! hEDS! And my youngest daughter has it too, more severely than I do (three knee surgeries so far at age 14 and mild POTS).

I'm sorry to hear you can't work right now. What did you do? I'm a nurse, and I can still work, thankfully, but it's hard sometimes and I know that I will eventually have to leave bedside nursing. I have a job as a float nurse so I can choose my own schedule. I work pretty much every other day (one day of recovery for every day of work), and I go to work with support hose, soft knee and ankle braces to protect my problem areas. And so far I'm still working, although it's not always easy. I always hurt somewhere. Right now my L shoulder is the problem child, but it's getting better. I have severe IT band syndrome, that's my main issue, but also severely injured my ankle last year, and my L wrist. I also get crooks in my neck a lot when I sleep, and sometimes use a soft neck brace. My weighted blanket is the best thing ever!

Please tell me more about your hEDS if you don't mind. It's hard to find others who truly get it. What are your problem areas? For me it's pretty much everything!

back to knitting: I sleep with a brace on my left wrist, sometimes both wrists in order to give maximum rest and healing between knitting sessions. I have a smaller wrist brace I will sometimes use on the left wrist during knitting, too. I use only the tiny needles, and I take a lot of breaks, which is why it takes awhile to finish a pair of socks. Since I work every other day, I knit every other day so that gives me breaks from it. Sometimes I have to take long breaks for a week or two.

The smaller wood needles are most comfortable. I learned to knit from a friend but the website knittinghelp.com was my main reference to get the basic stitches down. I don't do fancy complicated patterns that involve a lot of bending and twisting. I just do simple knit-purl. It's too bad you probably don't live closer or I'd teach you. You can find knitting classes at most yarn supply stores. Just explain you can only use small needles due to EDS and I'm sure they'd work with you. No bigger than size 8 for sure (I can only use size 1-2).

I have recently discovered painting my nails as a creative outlet. I'm not very good at it but it's fun to change the colors and I watch movies while I paint and let it dry.

I "read" a lot with Audible and podcasts. I was into jigsaw puzzles but bending over the puzzles hurts.
    While I do not have the issues you two have to deal with, I find the wooden needles so much more comfortable. For some reason the metal ones always make my fingers ache much more quickly. While my mom can't work with the wooden ones. She tried. And snapped some, LOL. I don't know how furiously she knits, but apparently she puts some pressure on those needles.

Have you ever used that Bamboo wool ?

It feels kind of slick while knitting and tends to want to separate, but I actually like it. Plus the socks are very pretty and great for summer. I always thought they are a great alternative for people with a wool allergy. They still get to have the natural fiber, the pretty socks, without having to worry about the allergy..
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-01-2019)

Thanks

LOL

Zina

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (02-08-2019),Bogertophis (12-31-2018),Dianne (12-31-2018),FollowTheSun (12-31-2018),MissterDog (12-31-2018),Pengil (01-01-2019),XPLSV (01-08-2019)

Thanks
    I have absolutely nothing that I can add here. Now if Grandma sees this it will be a different story!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (12-31-2018),zina10 (12-31-2018)

Thanks
    and no, I didn't make him wear it.

I gave it to a rescue that had a dog with almost no hair due to illness. They actually appreciated that ugly, ugly thing, LOL !!
    Zina

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-31-2018),FollowTheSun (12-31-2018)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast