Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,332

1 members and 3,331 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Bad Neck Kink

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Re: Bad Neck Kink

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    There are very good exotic vets that are very knowledgeable about snakes
    I'm just saying if it were my animal it will be going to a vet as soon as I could get it in because I would want to know what was wrong and most importantly is animal in pain

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    And that is admirable. I have never shied away from spending whatever it takes at the vet. I have worked with a reptile experienced vet closely for a couple of years while I did rescue. Well, I didn't work FOR him, but I brought many, many animals to him and he would always explain everything, show it on the microscope, research when he didn't have answers. Wonderful vet, wish he was in this area.

The thing with snakes is, you don't always get clear cut answers. Not unless it is a obvious problem, like septicemia, respiratory disease, blister disease, parasites. All these things are visible or easily tested for. Neurological is not so easy. There is no easy way to find out if the snake is in pain. They don't cry out like other animals or show clear signs. Unless we KNOW its a painful thing, like a burn, abcess etc, there is just no knowing if and how much pain there is and there isn't always a 100% answer on the cause or chance of survival.

I agree, I would still take it to the vet. But you don't always get an appointment in a hurry.

But you can double check everything in the husbandry and environment right now. That would be my first step.

ps...speaking of the "devil". I literally just now got pictures sent of that hatchling I talked about earlier, Sunny's sister, the one I gave away..Owners are so proud of her. Quick pic

Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-31-2018),Dianne (12-31-2018),MR Snakes (12-31-2018)

Thanks

That is a happy home for her sister

I wish the best for the snake at hand....the Christmas gift. I cate not to comment on it any more as I am not there to physically see it...so best wishes for a good outcome

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

zina10 (12-31-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    So true.

It would be wonderful if the neurological issues could be fixed/reversed.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-31-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Hm. I re-watched the video several times.

The kink itself is not severe. It is visible a couple of times.

What I struggle with, is that the snake was alright up to the point it ate at your house. After researching the seller, it doesn't seem to be one of "those" that rip people off, is dishonest, etc. At first I thought that may be it, and that could explain the issue at hand. But it doesn't seem like he would put his reputation on the line, for one sale. He has plenty. He surly knows about the BOI and FBI.

Perhaps the snake was ok at his place aside from the minor kink. Perhaps it ate just fine. It arrived seemingly fine, even ate. I just don't see one meal causing these neurological issues. There are many kinked snakes, worse then that, that can still eat and it doesn't cause pressure on the spine and cork screwing. Honestly, these symptoms look more like overheating or exposure to a chemical.

Please understand that I am not trying to shift blame. Or criticize. Not at all, I am only trying to help, to help the animal. You can't help it until you figure out exactly what is causing this. There is no finger pointing.

Can you please explain the setup ? Do you perhaps have pictures ? Can you tell us how you heat the enclosure? Have there been any home improvement projects near the snake ? Any paint? Glues? Carpet treatments ? Pest control ?

I wouldn't even sell a snake with a slight kink. But some breeders do, at a discount. If he had full disclosure and the animal ate for him (and you) then he may just worry that its something you did. He doesn't know you personally, just like you do not know him personally.

Just because I have never heard of a minor kink suddenly causing neurological issues doesn't mean it cannot happen, either. But it would be beneficial for that snake to rule out other issues, esp. since some of those can be reversible.

Hope you understand and don't take offense.
    I appreciate your help and advice. There are no environmental issues that would cause problems. He is housed in a reptile cabinet made of wood with glass front. It is heat controlled with a thermostat, I have thermometers in two spots, hot spot runs 90 and the cool side of the enclosure runs 70, I have 12 other ball pythons housed similar with no issue. When I filmed the video I put the snake in a tub a little off balance so it struggled so you can see how it moves at the kink. When he does crawl, he can move semi normal, but when he has to use his body in front of the kink he has no control of it. I know it is tough to diagnose something over the internet, but I am able to watch and observe him closely and I can tell you the problem is at the kink and not neurological. Unfortunately I did not get to see the little guy when he arrived and this is how I found him once he was given to me at Christmas. Again I am in no way offended at your questions and trying to help, a vet would be able to xray and determine the extent of spinal damage, but in the end it might answer some questions but I don't see a that it would change the outcome.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russell Bye For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-31-2018),zina10 (12-31-2018)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 842 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Bye View Post
    Again I am in no way offended at your questions and trying to help, a vet would be able to xray and determine the extent of spinal damage, but in the end it might answer some questions but I don't see a that it would change the outcome.

I would definitely take him to the vet regardless. You will need a statement from the vet saying that this is a severe issue and not something minor.
    This statement will be needed for both your refund and for and posts you make regarding this breeder. It will make things easier to work out in the end. Otherwise it will be taken as just a personal opinion and the breeder already gave his as 'minor kink, healthy snake'.

And unfortunately, you may be put in the position where you will have to prolong things for this little one while waiting for responses. So don't plan on just going to euthanize it if you try to strong arm the refund. The breeder may decide to have you ship the snake back in order for you to get the refund if he still thinks this to be a 'minor' issue.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 12-31-2018 at 02:47 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-31-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Read this entire thread. My heart goes out to you and your wife. Also to your poor noodle that had a difficult life. Some lessons come hard and some even harder. Thanks for sharing. As someone who takes rescues in, I never know what I am getting till I see it for myself and almost always fallow up with a vet visit right away. For me the vet visit is as much peace of mind as preparing to care for any issues the animal might have. Quality of life vs longevity?

Some will troll me for the fallowing:

The guy should be out of business. With that being said, here is my 2 cents. You now have the animal and the commitment made to the animal to provide for care of it for however long or short of life it may have. Sure learning a $500 lesson is difficult. Someone has to be responsible for what needs to be done for the poor guy. Even if it means loosing the $500. Sending him back would be irresponsible and inhumane to the animal.

Live, learn, grow, and always love.

Sincerely,

Animal lover and advocate,

Sky

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (12-31-2018),MR Snakes (12-31-2018),zina10 (12-31-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Just read this whole thread. I feel terrible for you and your wife. For one $500 is a LOT of money, and for 2 every time I get a pet or Feeders to breed I feel a great responsibility for life. All I can say is that I would do everything possible to get my money back at this point. File a claim etc... i hope all comes out in your favor and i’ll be following your thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-31-2018),zina10 (12-31-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Read this entire thread. My heart goes out to you and your wife. Also to your poor noodle that had a difficult life. Some lessons come hard and some even harder. Thanks for sharing. As someone who takes rescues in, I never know what I am getting till I see it for myself and almost always fallow up with a vet visit right away. For me the vet visit is as much peace of mind as preparing to care for any issues the animal might have. Quality of life vs longevity?

Some will troll me for the fallowing:

The guy should be out of business. With that being said, here is my 2 cents. You now have the animal and the commitment made to the animal to provide for care of it for however long or short of life it may have. Sure learning a $500 lesson is difficult. Someone has to be responsible for what needs to be done for the poor guy. Even if it means loosing the $500. Sending him back would be irresponsible and inhumane to the animal.

Live, learn, grow, and always love.

Sincerely,

Animal lover and advocate,

Sky
    You have said it well. Maybe I have not made it clear on the thread is that I am not so much worried about the $500. It is a lesson learned and I am hoping by posting this that it raises peoples awareness to breeding practices and the results it creates. It is totally irresponsible to breed and sell snakes with known defects that will affect the quality of life of the animal. I am giving the snake every possible chance. I have a vet appointment just to cover bases.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Russell Bye For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-31-2018),Bogertophis (12-31-2018),FollowTheSun (12-31-2018),MR Snakes (12-31-2018),zina10 (12-31-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Bye View Post
    You have said it well. Maybe I have not made it clear on the thread is that I am not so much worried about the $500. It is a lesson learned and I am hoping by posting this that it raises peoples awareness to breeding practices and the results it creates. It is totally irresponsible to breed and sell snakes with known defects that will affect the quality of life of the animal. I am giving the snake every possible chance. I have a vet appointment just to cover bases.
    Please don't feel I was beating you up at all. I respect you. I agree about breeding practices needing to be improved. That is one reason I don't own certain morphs despite the beauty of their looks. I don't support their breeding by buying them or breeding them. Best of luck at the vets office.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-31-2018),MR Snakes (12-31-2018)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567