Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,315

1 members and 3,314 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Keeping humidity up

I have a new ball python and have him in a 20 gallon exoterra tank. I have covered about 3/4 of the screen top with cardboard and have a 100W infrared bulb with a small heat mat under the area of the light area that is controlled by a thermostat. My house is pretty cold so I have had both and have reached a temperature gradient of 75F on one side and 90-95F on the heatedside. My cold side thermometer doesn’t reflect the humidity gauge but my warm side shows the humidity. I have sprayed many times to get the humidity reading up, but am wondering if I should have the humidity gauge under the heat lamp or somewhere else. I have noticed the coconut fiber is dryer under the heated area. After spraying, the humidity reading goes to 70% and then drops to 35-40% after a few hours. He is starting to shed so I know that keeping humidity higher is especially important now and that 50-60% is standard during non-shedding periods.

If not, what are general tips for keeping the humidity up? I have about 2” of coconut fiber covering the bottom that I spray from time to time and the top screen covered 75%. Also when spraying, how much is spraying should be done? Should the coconut fiber be saturated? Should I get my humidity reading somewhere else not under the heat lamp to make it more accurate?
    Last edited by Taying; 12-30-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Keeping humidity up

Quote Originally Posted by Taying View Post
    I have a new ball python and have him in a 20 gallon exoterra tank. I have covered about 3/4 of the screen top with cardboard and have a 100W infrared bulb with a small heat mat under the area of the light area that is controlled by a thermostat. My house is pretty cold so I have had both and have reached a temperature gradient of 75F on one side and 90-95F on the heatedside. My cold side thermometer doesn’t reflect the humidity gauge but my warm side shows the humidity. I have sprayed many times to get the humidity reading up, but am wondering if I should have the humidity gauge under the heat lamp or somewhere else. I have noticed the coconut fiber is dryer under the heated area. After spraying, the humidity reading goes to 70% and then drops to 35-40% after a few hours. He is starting to shed so I know that keeping humidity higher is especially important now and that 50-60% is standard during non-shedding periods.

If not, what are general tips for keeping the humidity up? I have about 2” of coconut fiber covering the bottom that I spray from time to time and the top screen covered 75%. Also when spraying, how much is spraying should be done? Should the coconut fiber be saturated? Should I get my humidity reading somewhere else not under the heat lamp to make it more accurate?
    I used to cover the top of glass tanks : vivs with a piece of plastic / perspex then seal around with tape .

No problem holding humidity.. . I also use orchid/ Reptibark which also holds moisture well ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Taying (12-30-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I used to cover the top of glass tanks : vivs with a piece of plastic / perspex then seal around with tape .

No problem holding humidity.. . I also use orchid/ Reptibark which also holds moisture well ..

Awesome, thanks for the advice and prompt response! I do like the privacy that cardboard gives him but am considering putting a plastic wrap on top to give better control.

Ive also ready that coconut husk mulch works better than loose fiber so I’ll be switching to that when I can.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Keeping humidity up

Awesome, thanks for the advice and prompt response! I do like the privacy that cardboard gives him but am considering putting a plastic wrap on top to give better control.

Ive also ready that coconut husk mulch works better than loose fiber so I’ll be switching to that when I can.
    Yeah you can easily put polythene around the cardboard if you wish .. just seal around the edges to keep the moisture in ..

Last edited by Zincubus; 12-30-2018 at 12:26 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Taying (12-30-2018)

Thanks

Long term I would look into getting rid of the light and go with a radiant heat panel. I use the heat panel and under tank heat pad on my 40 gallon tank with reptibark substrate and I don’t have to spray at all. Humidity stays between 55-65 all the time. The top is covered with aluminum foil. I think the heat panel that fits a 20 gallon tank is around $50 from reptile basics. It’s worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jbabycsx For This Useful Post:

Taying (12-30-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jbabycsx View Post
    Long term I would look into getting rid of the light and go with a radiant heat panel. I use the heat panel and under tank heat pad on my 40 gallon tank with reptibark substrate and I don’t have to spray at all. Humidity stays between 55-65 all the time. The top is covered with aluminum foil. I think the heat panel that fits a 20 gallon tank is around $50 from reptile basics. It’s worth it.

Thank you, I'll definitely consider getting that in the future.

As for now, I have plastic wrapped 3/4 of the top screen. How much misting is too much/too little? Should the fiber be saturated? And is it improper to place the humidity gauge under the best lamp since this area is warmer and has an open screen above making evaporation occur faster?

Thanks

Thank you, I'll definitely consider getting that in the future.

As for now, I have plastic wrapped 3/4 of the top screen. How much misting is too much/too little? Should the fiber be saturated? And is it improper to place the humidity gauge under the best lamp since this area is warmer and has an open screen above making evaporation occur faster?
    Best lamp should be “heat lamp”**

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Taying For This Useful Post:

ande (01-09-2019)

Thanks

What I normally did was mist the top level of the substrate, then using my fingers I would mix the substrate up and mist it again so the lower level was damp. This made the effect last a little longer.

I wouldn’t saturate it to the point it was muddy. Just guessing on a 20 gallon tank 8-10 pulls of the trigger on a spray bottle. Mix the substrate around to expose the lower dry level then 8-10 more. Then smooth the substrate back into place.

You can also place your water dish under the heat lamp. This will help with humidity as well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jbabycsx For This Useful Post:

Taying (12-30-2018)

Thanks

I'm using a Repti-Zoo 36x18x18 "glass box". What I've done for humidity issues is covered almost the whole screen top with duct tape, leaving a hole slightly larger than the diameter of my lamp which has a CHE. NOTE: NEVER put tape on the INside of the tank as your lil' family member will inevitably find a way to get it stuck on him/her. I have a lg. UTH on the opposite side, and 2 temp/hygrometer guages, 1 for each side. My temps range from 79-81 ambient, hide on the hot side (I spot-check with a temp. gun) stays 89-92 and hide on the cool side stays 81-84. Humidity stays between 52-58 at all times. And I use Reptile Prime coconut shreds. I only put it about 1/4" deep because the more you add, the lower your humidity will be. It drinks up the moisture, especially under the CHE.

My boy went "blue" just a few days ago which tells me he's prepping for a shed, so I've added a humid hide with wet moss to help raise the humidity and for if/when he decides to climb in and wriggle around to help with shedding. Now it's at 67%. Hope this helps at least a lil' bit. Good luck!

EDIT: Forgot to add....I have 3 sides of the tank covered with thick, styrofoam board. It looks good and it helps stabilize moisture and temps.
    Last edited by Shayne; 12-30-2018 at 02:29 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Dianne (12-30-2018),Taying (12-30-2018)

Thanks

I sent you a PM as well. I couldn’t get pictures to post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast