Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,199

0 members and 3,199 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Is there any way you could try to get that noise/behavior on video and share with us ?

If you went to a reptile experienced vet and he found nothing wrong with your snake, that is encouraging. I do question why he would then give you any medicine at all, though, esp. if you aren't experienced in giving the medicine, as its possible to injure (and certainly to stress) a snake if done wrong.

Its always a good idea to have a little basic health care kit for reptiles at the house. I have never needed mine in recent years, but if I ever should, its here. I have a clean glass dropper for administering oral meds. I do not like to administer those in syringes. Syringes have relatively sharp edges that could get scraped along the tissue in the mouth/neck.
    I have these tools which help to hold a snakes mouth open gently, while giving access to it. Its really not needed just for administering oral medicines, because that is relatively quick, but it does help if the mouth needs to be open for a really good look or to clean/treat an area of concern.

Years ago, before I moved, I used to do rescue for quite a few snakes. Usually imported Ball Pythons that were in really, really bad condition. They usually had more then just one problem. And almost all of them needed oral meds (as well as shots). The oral meds were usually for parasites and protozoans.

The Vet I had back then was wonderful. Very patient and truly cared for all his patients including reptiles. He is very experienced with snakes. He showed me exactly how to hold them and how to administer the meds. There may be different ways, and some like a different way, but I have had nothing but good luck with this way. Never had a snake aspirate any of the meds or have it come back up. Medicine bubbling out through the nostrils means the snake breathed in some of the meds.

Whenever getting ready to treat any snake, preparation is key. Find a place where you can sit down comfortably and have all the supplies in easy reach. I find sitting at a table best. Settle the snake on your lap, wrapping a towel around its body can help (leaving the neck and head free). When you have everything ready and within reach, gently but firmly grasp the snake by the neck, your thumb and forefinger will hold it right behind the head/jaw. Your fist and other fingers will keep the neck straight. The snake will start to struggle. It helps to use your lower arm of the hand that you hold the neck with to push down on the body of the snake gently, to keep it in place. Follow its movements slightly, but never loose your grip and keep that neck straight. (firm but gentle, don't squeeze it) I like to use a glass dropper like I said, it has smooth edges. Use it to gently pry the mouth open, might take a couple tries. Stay calm and patient. Once open, slide it into the mouth and a bit down into the throat.That is why it is important to keep the neck straight. Make sure you have good light and that you see where the dropper is going. By sliding it down slightly (I used to do one to one and a half inch), you will make sure it goes past the glottis and you aren't accidentally pushing the medicine into the lungs. Push the medicine in, withdraw the dropper and allow the snake to close its mouth, but keep the head and neck elevated for a little while, but loosen your grip and only slightly support it, the snake will relax some and swallow, keeping the medicine down.

It does take practice. It takes a lot of patience. You have to be calm.

If its medicine that really isn't needed, I wouldn't put the snake through the stress and possible injury to administer it. The snake resting with the head elevated and the medicine coming out of the nostrils means some of it got aspirated. Hopefully it was just a small amount and the snake blew it out.

Here are a couple of pictures that show how I hold a snake that needs oral meds...

This is the way they are in my lap and I have the neck/head in a grip , and up at a angle, holding the neck straight. My thumb and the side of my forefinger would be resting right behind the jaw/head.

This just shows the underside of my hand, how I use the other fingers and fist to keep the neck straight

And once more, the angle I hold it in, having the body of the snake wrapped up into a big towel or blanket can help, so they don't flail all around with their body. Remember you can let them move some, follow the movement, but that neck and head stays straight.

I would get in touch with that vet and tell him you have trouble administering the medicine and that the snake had it bubbling out of its mouth. Ask if the vet feels the payoff of taking it is worth the stress/risk of either you keep doing it or subjecting the snake to the frequent trips for the vet to do it.

There are issues where it absolutely IS necessary, but I'm not sure it is in your case ? However, I'm not a vet.

I would still like to see a video, if possible.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-30-2018),Bogertophis (12-30-2018),HeathBish (12-30-2018)

Thanks

Re: Metacam by mouth

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Is there any way you could try to get that noise/behavior on video and share with us ?

If you went to a reptile experienced vet and he found nothing wrong with your snake, that is encouraging. I do question why he would then give you any medicine at all, though, esp. if you aren't experienced in giving the medicine, as its possible to injure (and certainly to stress) a snake if done wrong.

Its always a good idea to have a little basic health care kit for reptiles at the house. I have never needed mine in recent years, but if I ever should, its here. I have a clean glass dropper for administering oral meds. I do not like to administer those in syringes. Syringes have relatively sharp edges that could get scraped along the tissue in the mouth/neck.
    I have these tools which help to hold a snakes mouth open gently, while giving access to it. Its really not needed just for administering oral medicines, because that is relatively quick, but it does help if the mouth needs to be open for a really good look or to clean/treat an area of concern.

Years ago, before I moved, I used to do rescue for quite a few snakes. Usually imported Ball Pythons that were in really, really bad condition. They usually had more then just one problem. And almost all of them needed oral meds (as well as shots). The oral meds were usually for parasites and protozoans.

The Vet I had back then was wonderful. Very patient and truly cared for all his patients including reptiles. He is very experienced with snakes. He showed me exactly how to hold them and how to administer the meds. There may be different ways, and some like a different way, but I have had nothing but good luck with this way. Never had a snake aspirate any of the meds or have it come back up. Medicine bubbling out through the nostrils means the snake breathed in some of the meds.

Whenever getting ready to treat any snake, preparation is key. Find a place where you can sit down comfortably and have all the supplies in easy reach. I find sitting at a table best. Settle the snake on your lap, wrapping a towel around its body can help (leaving the neck and head free). When you have everything ready and within reach, gently but firmly grasp the snake by the neck, your thumb and forefinger will hold it right behind the head/jaw. Your fist and other fingers will keep the neck straight. The snake will start to struggle. It helps to use your lower arm of the hand that you hold the neck with to push down on the body of the snake gently, to keep it in place. Follow its movements slightly, but never loose your grip and keep that neck straight. (firm but gentle, don't squeeze it) I like to use a glass dropper like I said, it has smooth edges. Use it to gently pry the mouth open, might take a couple tries. Stay calm and patient. Once open, slide it into the mouth and a bit down into the throat.That is why it is important to keep the neck straight. Make sure you have good light and that you see where the dropper is going. By sliding it down slightly (I used to do one to one and a half inch), you will make sure it goes past the glottis and you aren't accidentally pushing the medicine into the lungs. Push the medicine in, withdraw the dropper and allow the snake to close its mouth, but keep the head and neck elevated for a little while, but loosen your grip and only slightly support it, the snake will relax some and swallow, keeping the medicine down.

It does take practice. It takes a lot of patience. You have to be calm.

If its medicine that really isn't needed, I wouldn't put the snake through the stress and possible injury to administer it. The snake resting with the head elevated and the medicine coming out of the nostrils means some of it got aspirated. Hopefully it was just a small amount and the snake blew it out.

Here are a couple of pictures that show how I hold a snake that needs oral meds...

This is the way they are in my lap and I have the neck/head in a grip , and up at a angle, holding the neck straight. My thumb and the side of my forefinger would be resting right behind the jaw/head.

This just shows the underside of my hand, how I use the other fingers and fist to keep the neck straight

And once more, the angle I hold it in, having the body of the snake wrapped up into a big towel or blanket can help, so they don't flail all around with their body. Remember you can let them move some, follow the movement, but that neck and head stays straight.

I would get in touch with that vet and tell him you have trouble administering the medicine and that the snake had it bubbling out of its mouth. Ask if the vet feels the payoff of taking it is worth the stress/risk of either you keep doing it or subjecting the snake to the frequent trips for the vet to do it.

There are issues where it absolutely IS necessary, but I'm not sure it is in your case ? However, I'm not a vet.

I would still like to see a video, if possible.
    I called and spoke with the office. The assistant that was in the room with us took my message and talked to a different vet. The one we saw wasn't there. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if he thinks it's worth it. That's a great idea. Thanks so much for all your help and the photos. I'll try and get a video later when I get home from work. It's really shallow so it may not pick it up or he may not make the noise. He didn't yesterday. I'll try my best though.

Thank you, again!

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HeathBish View Post
    I called and spoke with the office. The assistant that was in the room with us took my message and talked to a different vet. The one we saw wasn't there. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if he thinks it's worth it. That's a great idea. Thanks so much for all your help and the photos. I'll try and get a video later when I get home from work. It's really shallow so it may not pick it up or he may not make the noise. He didn't yesterday. I'll try my best though.

Thank you, again!

Sent using Tapatalk
    Keep us up to date. Good luck with the video. See if you catch it, if not don't stress (yourself, or the snake )
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

HeathBish (12-30-2018)

Thanks

For some reason I can't upload the video but it didn't have the noise anyway. He was just really cute. Lol

Sent using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HeathBish; 12-30-2018 at 06:15 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HeathBish For This Useful Post:

zina10 (12-30-2018)

Thanks
    I think what you have to do is upload it to youtube and then post a link to it

I bet he was cute
    Zina

Thanks

Ok. I'll try that.

Sent using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HeathBish For This Useful Post:

zina10 (12-30-2018)

Thanks

https://youtu.be/7TW7wK2c31M

I did it! Now I know for the future. I just thought the ending was super cute. He was saying hi to mama.

Sent using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HeathBish For This Useful Post:

zina10 (12-30-2018)

Thanks
    Awww...

What a beautiful and BIG boy !! Looks very healthy and vibrant.

Such a good boy, too
    Zina

14. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

HeathBish (12-30-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Awww...

What a beautiful and BIG boy !! Looks very healthy and vibrant.

Such a good boy, too
    Aww thanks. I shortened the first one but this is the whole video... if you're bored lol The quality isn't that great for some reason. But he's cute either way. I love his little face and eyes. Bestill my heart

Sent using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HeathBish For This Useful Post:

zina10 (12-30-2018)

Thanks

https://youtu.be/T3bfiHr7Vec

Sent using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast