Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,339

2 members and 3,337 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Metacam by mouth

Slitherz was prescribed Metacam orally for 5 to 7 days. I did exactly what the vet did but it's bubbling some out of his nostril and he's keeping his head elevated now. I called them and explained and they said there shouldn't be anything to worry about and I could bring him in everyday for the treatment or I could wait an hour and try again. That doesn't flow right with me. I'm not aorried he didn't get it all I'm worried that he might get a RI now. They said not to worry. That isn't working because I am.

Any of you have experience with this?

Sent using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Basically your vet is the equivalent of a your doctor trying to cure a pneumonia with an aspirin

Most important is to find a new vet that is experienced with Reptiles, the fact that he prescribe Metacam which is a Anti-Inflammatory/Pain Killer similar to aspirin tells me yours has no clue which is pretty typical.

First a vet will do a culture to established the type of RI you are dealing with, there are different RI which do not all respond the the same anti-biotic.

Second the antibiotic will be injectable (any oral anti-biotic for a snake is simply a waste)

Third the duration of treatment should be 30 days min for a RI
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-28-2018),dr del (12-30-2018)

Thanks

Re: Metacam by mouth

He doesn't have a RI. I just thought he might. They were very thorough. He looked at him all over. Checked his heart, Skin, inside his mouth, nostrils, everything. Listened to his lungs. He said there's no reason to think he has a RI. He prescribed to Metacam as a precautionary measure because once in a while he makes a "huff" sound when going up.

Sent using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HeathBish For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-28-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HeathBish View Post
    He doesn't have a RI. I just thought he might. They were very thorough. He looked at him all over. Checked his heart, Skin, inside his mouth, nostrils, everything. Listened to his lungs. He said there's no reason to think he has a RI. He prescribed to Metacam as a precautionary measure because once in a while he makes a "huff" sound when going up.

Sent using Tapatalk
    He was thinking if he has minor inflammation then this could help but he said he wouldn't worry and if he shows signs of illness then I can bring him back right away. I really believe he knew what he was doing. It really looked like it anyway. Lol

Sent using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sent using Tapatalk
    And the equivalent of aspirin would be helpful how if the snake makes a huff???

Again my best advice here is find a new vet if you think there is something wrong with your snake, because there is no reason an animal should be prescribe something unless there is a valid reason and anyone familiar with reptiles (snakes in particular) would know that oral medicine has little to no effect.

Some vets are pretty good has hiding their lack of knowledge, I know one by me that will see exotics and managed to diagnose a friend snake with Septicemia.....the snake was in shed
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 12-28-2018 at 05:08 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-28-2018),dr del (12-30-2018)

Thanks

Metacam is an anti-inflammatory, correct? I would think inflammation could cause a huff noise at times.

Can we just get back to the original question, please. I'm worried the medicine will cause him to become ill because it was bubbling out his nostril. So, I was wondering if anyone had experience with that.

I wasn't questioning their abilities. I just wanted reassurance.

Sent using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Metacam is an anti-inflammatory, correct? I would think inflammation could cause a huff noise at times.

Can we just get back to the original question, please. I'm worried the medicine will cause him to become ill because it was bubbling out his nostril. So, I was wondering if anyone had experience with that.

I wasn't questioning their abilities. I just wanted reassurance.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Unf9rtunately, Deb is right. You're basically giving useless medicine to your snake. Just because the vet seemed "thorough" doesn't mean they're knowledgeable.

I can thoroughly look over a car engine, but don't have a clue what I'm looking at.

Keep in mind, a vets office is a business. Businesses make money by selling products, ie medicine

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (12-28-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Unf9rtunately, Deb is right. You're basically giving useless medicine to your snake. Just because the vet seemed "thorough" doesn't mean they're knowledgeable.

I can thoroughly look over a car engine, but don't have a clue what I'm looking at.

Keep in mind, a vets office is a business. Businesses make money by selling products, ie medicine
    Let me explain... He did the exam. Told me he has no reason to believe he a RI and he looks and feels like a healthy snake. And while I was putting Slitherz back in the cooler he made the noise as he was going up my arm. He said we could try metacam to see if he's got slight inflammation. I agreed to it but he didn't push that I need it. We almost left with nothing.

So should I just not give it and monitor? Could I make him sick by not administering properly? I thought I did it the way he showed me but I must have done something wrong. Obviously.

Im not trying to be mean. Seriously. I'm just worried for him because of the medicine bubbling out hi nostril after I gave it. I'm sorry if I came off as being mean.

Sent using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Let me explain... He did the exam. Told me he has no reason to believe he a RI and he looks and feels like a healthy snake. And while I was putting Slitherz back in the cooler he made the noise as he was going up my arm. He said we could try metacam to see if he's got slight inflammation. I agreed to it but he didn't push that I need it. We almost left with nothing.

So should I just not give it and monitor? Could I make him sick by not administering properly? I thought I did it the way he showed me but I must have done something wrong. Obviously.

Im not trying to be mean. Seriously. I'm just worried for him because of the medicine bubbling out hi nostril after I gave it. I'm sorry if I came off as being mean.

Sent using Tapatalk
    You didn't come off mean at all, just concerned f9r your snake, which is admirable.

I, luckily, have never had a sick snake and have never had to medicate any. But I know that orally medicating a snake is like shoveling sand against the tide.

And quite frankly, I trust Deborah 100000%. I would be willing to bet my house she's more experienced and more knowledgable about snakes than that vet.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

HeathBish (12-28-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    You didn't come off mean at all, just concerned f9r your snake, which is admirable.

I, luckily, have never had a sick snake and have never had to medicate any. But I know that orally medicating a snake is like shoveling sand against the tide.

And quite frankly, I trust Deborah 100000%. I would be willing to bet my house she's more experienced and more knowledgable about snakes than that vet.
    Ok. Then I will just stop giving it then. If that's not what I should do then just tell me.

What could that noise be he makes every so often when coming up, then? No discharge, open mouth breathing, wheezing, etc. Seems perfectly healthy besides that. And it's occasional so it's confusing. Lol

Sent using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast