Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,590

2 members and 2,588 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Personal decorator

So my snake Syria is alright if we go in and flip the temperature things back over to read them but she does not like at all when we move her water dish back to where it normally should be. A couple days back I moved the water dish back and she struck at me she didn't get me or anything but she did not like that I was moving her water bowl back from where she decided it should go. What do I do about this? Should I just let her move it where ever she pleases in the tank? She did have mites a few weeks back but they turned out to be just normal wood mites we did take care of that so she no longer has them I just don't understand why she is so infatuated with having her water dish in this specific spot of her tank.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I love my danger noodle

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IllumiBunny For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-28-2018)

Thanks
    Because she holds a degree in Interior Design?

Thanks

Re: Personal decorator

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    Because she holds a degree in Interior Design?
    Maybe haha.. I think when I get her new tank I am just going to put it in the middle of the tank since that's where she seems to prefer it then I can have a hide out for her on both the hot and cold side of her tank.

I love my danger noodle

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IllumiBunny For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-28-2018),MR Snakes (12-28-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IllumiBunny View Post
    Maybe haha.. I think when I get her new tank I am just going to put it in the middle of the tank since that's where she seems to prefer it then I can have a hide out for her on both the hot and cold side of her tank.

Sounds like a good plan.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts
    I don't think she struck at you "because" you were moving her water bowl...only because you were "invading her space" & she felt a little threatened by your
    presence there. Some snakes just re-arrange their decor more than others...none of my current snakes do that. Maybe the overall cage is too small for her?
    That is one reason snakes may push on things, & since you mentioned getting a new tank, that might be what's going on here?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-28-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts
    Sometimes we just need to pay more attention when we set up a snake's cage-it takes practice to come up with new ideas that work, they aren't all the same.

For example, my only super-shy snake is my Korean rat snake, & I just set up his cage with his water bowl in the middle as you described, except that his
    warm & cool hides on either side actually have the doorways facing away from the "center courtyard-pool" & are each covered by half of large cardboard box
    that surrounds them (filling the dimensions of the tank, open side inward), so each is a cave within a cave, & he feels safe to reach the water bowl from either
    side. There is
    actually more space now for him to cruise his cage (& night when I'm not looking, lol) and he can also use the tops of the box halves*. I may
    never see him
    again? (LOL) but he's obviously happy with it. This is a major re-arrangement of his cage, but it sure didn't stop him from eating, & he's even
    shy about that. I don't see much of him anyway...if he's out when I walk in the room, he freezes until I leave, then he takes cover...it's just who he is- wild.

*I also put in a large (5" diameter) cardboard tube that connects the large box halves...a tunnel-bridge. I caught him checking it out right away.

NOT saying you should do this with your ball python...just encouraging you to think more like a snake to figure out what your BP really wants.
    Heavy bodied snakes that don't use branches can often benefit from a "2-story" plan...a really large/long hide* that covers most of the floor, & as long as
    it's sturdy & not slippery on top (as are most commercial hides- plastic...) it gives them more room to stretch out & use the top too. *That's what I made
    for the BCI I had for many years, & she loved it.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-28-2018 at 01:41 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I don't think she struck at you "because" you were moving her water bowl...only because you were "invading her space" & she felt a little threatened by your
    presence there. Some snakes just re-arrange their decor more than others...
    ^^^ agreed 100% ^^^

I think when I get her new tank I am just going to put it in the middle of the tank since that's where she seems to prefer it then I can have a hide out for her on both the hot and cold side of her tank.

So does this mean she currently has just one hide??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    ^^^ agreed 100% ^^^

So does this mean she currently has just one hide??
    At the moment yes she only has one hide because her tank isn't big enough for 2 but her new tank will be big enough to have two in it which I will be getting her a second hide one for the cool one for the hot I know that they should have the option of both sides just didn't have enough room and the tank she has now is a 50 the new is about a 65-70 gallon

I love my danger noodle

Thanks

At the moment yes she only has one hide because her tank isn't big enough for 2 but her new tank will be big enough to have two in it which I will be getting her a second hide one for the cool one for the hot I know that they should have the option of both sides just didn't have enough room and the tank she has now is a 50 the new is about a 65-70 gallon

I just got her a new hide today it barely fits in this tank but I am managing until I can get her new one

I love my danger noodle

13. The Following User Says Thank You to IllumiBunny For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-28-2018)

Thanks

I just got her a new hide today it barely fits in this tank but I am managing until I can get her new one

And she's loving it acting like a queen

I love my danger noodle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast