Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,211

2 members and 3,209 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

I think I need some more humidity. Ideas?

I am new to the BP game, and so far I love it! Sir Hiss was born in May, and has been with me now for about three weeks. He is captive bred, and is an excellent eater. His temps are right on, 90-93 hot and 82-85 cool during the day; 82-83 all around at night with a basking nightlight if he cools off. He has two hides and two water bowls (one each on hot and cold side) in a long 30 gallon aquarium. Half of the screen lid has been covered with saran wrap in an attempt to keep humidity up. The humidity was constant around 40-45% so I got out the old trusty humidifier. Now with that thing running all day in my small room where the snake lives, the humidity hovers between 50-55%. I would like to find another way of doing it other than the humidifier. Also, I mist the cage morning and night, and have repti-bark for a substrate. Any suggestions? I thank you in advance for your help.

Thanks

Re: I think I need some more humidity. Ideas?

well i am new to it so others may can help wtih more advice ... what got the humidity up the most in my snakes cage ... was when the a/c or heat is on .. i have the vent almost closed in the room .. and have rotated the vents grate so it blows away from where the cage is .. that alone made about a 15% diff in the avg humidity of the cage ... which now normally runs about 55% without any covering on top .. goes up to a little over 60 with covering.

Thanks

Back in the day when I was all-glass thsi did it for me in a few of the trickier setups.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=53

Also I would try covering significantly more than half the lid - cover 90% with strips open on either end.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks

I can't cover too much of the tank because I have a lamp that heats up one side during the day.

Thanks

Either the home-made humidifier or a store bought one is the way to go. Cover the entire screened lid with the exception of 1" on either side.

Thanks

Another option is to take a shallow bowl, fold 2 or 3 paper towels in it, wet them down until they are completely saturated, and let your heat lamp heat it up.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I think your humidity is fine. I keep my Royals at around 55% except when they're in shed when I whack them up. I use one of these misters you get for spraying plants and spray morning and night. One of my Royals is a Rescue who had problems shedding and was half-starved due to neglect. He shed yesterday and did it all by himself, every bit off in one piece from nose to tail, including eyecaps. I'll be putting a pic of him in the pictures forum shortly.

Royals (BPs) don't need so much humidity as some other snakes.