Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,172

2 members and 3,170 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Exclamation Oh crap, the military

I forgot when getting excited to join the Air-Force, I have my boy Nick. I won't be able to bring him and I doubt I'll be able to beg much for having him stay with me after we get into housing.

I don't wanna just get rid of him either, so I am thinking of having him stay under someone's care while I am away. I won;t be in super long, I mostly wanna get my education through them so I can be a good man for my partner of six years in the future with a decent job.

I am thinking, maybe my younger brother (age 12) may be able to care for him, he owns a guinea pig and has cared for it well, if I can convince my ma to allow this it would be great, but I will have to teach him A LOT in the care of a reptile and make sure Nick will be good for him as far as staying on F/T and Getting used to handling more.

Or I try to find some rando to take care of him cause all my pals are far away and my partner is living with his grandparents who hate snakes.

I really really don't wanna sell him, I need some help as to what to do, I am nervous about every outcome of this but could use some advice as to how to proceed with it.

I feel like a moron, I got Nick before I decided to start joining, already went to the recruiter and working down a few pounds and studying for my ASVAB, so as far as when I will get in could be as soon as four weeks wit how little weight I gotta shed.

It may be fruitless adding this but worth a shot:

I live in northern Alabama near Florence, so if any of ya live near there, and could help, I would appreciate it! As with who I settle on if I can find someone to care for him during this time I would definitely send ya money each month, not just a small something either, it would probably be around $100 as a thanks, I'd also pay for his food supply as well as bedding. If he needs to up a tank size if when I can have him come back is a tad longer than expected, I'd pay for that too. All the person would have to do is feed him, clean up, make sure his viv stays at good temps and humidity, handle him, and send me pictures and updates, that would be something to look forward to after a long week!

As I said, I def don't wanna sell him, if I gotta it's gunna be heartbreaking but I understand. I just, grown attached to him and feel like an ass now that I realized "Sh*t, I am going away....right after I got him and handled him and fed him... He needs someone to care for him."

Maybe I can sneak him in... just tell the boys that I eat rats, lotta protein ya'know?

I'm kidding about that of course, wouldn't do that to him haha.

Thanks

Re: Oh crap, the military

Too bad I'm in Illinois I would be more than happy to house the little guy for u while ur serving the country!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Highyeena (12-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    I owned quite a few critters when I joined the military, I had to split them up between people. If you have family that will care for him, then that is the best route. Just make sure they have the care sheet on hand and you can even type up your own "isms" for them as well. If it makes you feel better, I have successfully been able to move my whole collection to opposite sides of the country, and to other states, with no issues at all. There are ways to serve and still keep these guys. If you end up in barracks then they're not allowed, but eventually you won't be and you can get them back, then there's no more random inspection
    Last edited by Skittles1101; 12-21-2018 at 05:07 AM.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-22-2018),FollowTheSun (12-21-2018),Highyeena (12-22-2018),MR Snakes (12-21-2018),PitOnTheProwl (12-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    There might be a reptile rescue group near you that would be willing to board him for you until you get back,
    It sounds like your 12 year old brother might be a good candidate, too. As long as you provide the care sheet and all the stuff, and maybe even a check off list. And give your brother an account here so he can come and ask for advice or help if he needs it. :-)
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Highyeena (12-22-2018)

Thanks

Iraq vet here!! I live in pa so can’t help much. Just wanted to say congrats on getting in. Air Force was a good choice,dumb grunt here.
    Last edited by DandD; 12-21-2018 at 06:28 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DandD For This Useful Post:

cfd701 (12-21-2018),Highyeena (12-22-2018),Skittles1101 (12-21-2018)

Thanks

Thank you for your service!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Highyeena View Post
    I forgot when getting excited to join the Air-Force, I have my boy Nick. I won't be able to bring him and I doubt I'll be able to beg much for having him stay with me after we get into housing.

I don't wanna just get rid of him either, so I am thinking of having him stay under someone's care while I am away. I won;t be in super long, I mostly wanna get my education through them so I can be a good man for my partner of six years in the future with a decent job.

I am thinking, maybe my younger brother (age 12) may be able to care for him, he owns a guinea pig and has cared for it well, if I can convince my ma to allow this it would be great, but I will have to teach him A LOT in the care of a reptile and make sure Nick will be good for him as far as staying on F/T and Getting used to handling more.

Or I try to find some rando to take care of him cause all my pals are far away and my partner is living with his grandparents who hate snakes.

I really really don't wanna sell him, I need some help as to what to do, I am nervous about every outcome of this but could use some advice as to how to proceed with it.

I feel like a moron, I got Nick before I decided to start joining, already went to the recruiter and working down a few pounds and studying for my ASVAB, so as far as when I will get in could be as soon as four weeks wit how little weight I gotta shed.

It may be fruitless adding this but worth a shot:

I live in northern Alabama near Florence, so if any of ya live near there, and could help, I would appreciate it! As with who I settle on if I can find someone to care for him during this time I would definitely send ya money each month, not just a small something either, it would probably be around $100 as a thanks, I'd also pay for his food supply as well as bedding. If he needs to up a tank size if when I can have him come back is a tad longer than expected, I'd pay for that too. All the person would have to do is feed him, clean up, make sure his viv stays at good temps and humidity, handle him, and send me pictures and updates, that would be something to look forward to after a long week!

As I said, I def don't wanna sell him, if I gotta it's gunna be heartbreaking but I understand. I just, grown attached to him and feel like an ass now that I realized "Sh*t, I am going away....right after I got him and handled him and fed him... He needs someone to care for him."

Maybe I can sneak him in... just tell the boys that I eat rats, lotta protein ya'know?

I'm kidding about that of course, wouldn't do that to him haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittles1101 View Post
    I owned quite a few critters when I joined the military, I had to split them up between people. If you have family that will care for him, then that is the best route. Just make sure they have the care sheet on hand and you can even type up your own "isms" for them as well. If it makes you feel better, I have successfully been able to move my whole collection to opposite sides of the country, and to other states, with no issues at all. There are ways to serve and still keep these guys. If you end up in barracks then they're not allowed, but eventually you won't be and you can get them back, then there's no more random inspection
    Quote Originally Posted by DandD View Post
    Iraq vet here!! I live in pa so can’t help much. Just wanted to say congrats on getting in. Air Force was a good choice,dumb grunt here.

I can't offer any assistance with the housing of the snake situation, but would like to thank you three for your service.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

DandD (12-22-2018),Skittles1101 (12-22-2018)