Last week my Hognose refused food, then seemed to be struggling to pass something later in the week, there was liquid and solid urine passed but nothing else. She refused again this week and I took her out to check what was up, her vent looked a mess with urate buildup, I soaked her a little and cleaned it off.

Sunday night she passed some bloody fluid like a clot and Monday there was a mass up her body, before there was only a lump near her vent, now there’s two. She went to the vet today, xrays, needle aspirate the mass. I thought maybe retained egg? She laid a bunch this summer and we had an issue of her not being able to pass them when she was younger. Vet says no, that’s not it.

It’s not in her digestive tract but near her colon so they don’t think it’s food. Vet thought maybe abscess but didn’t drain when they poked a needle in. They didn’t want to do an enema because of her already bleeding from the vent. They got layers of tissue, blood and pus in the aspirate . Suggested treatment so far is antibiotics (baytril) soak several times daily and return in a week.

I wasn’t at the appt, can’t get off work at all right now so this is all second hand from my husband and it was a new vet, not the guy I have seen before and am confident in. Any ideas or thoughts? I’m pretty concerned.

X-ray I was sent attached

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk