Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,351

2 members and 3,349 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Question Exo Terra proportional t-stat? Any good?

So the title kinda says it all, but does anyone have any information or feedback on the Exo Terra 600W proportional t-stat that came out last year?

I saw it recently on LLL Reptile and a few other websites going for $40-60 and it seems like a really good deal for what it is. I just don't want to waste my money if it's junk. I also feel like this could be a great t-stat to recommend to new keepers outside of just the Jump-start off Amazon, if it's worth the money and works.

Thanks y'all

-Bear
    Last edited by RXLReptiles; 12-17-2018 at 06:37 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RXLReptiles For This Useful Post:

Lord Sorril (12-19-2018)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Exo Terra proportional t-stat? Any good?

I am also interested.
    *.* TNTC

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

I would never spend that on Chain Store stuff when you can have a professional one for double that cost that lasts a lifetime and has all kinds of Safety’s, Alerts and shut offs. Look at Herpstats please before you spend your hard earned money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    I would never spend that on Chain Store stuff when you can have a professional one for double that cost that lasts a lifetime and has all kinds of Safety’s, Alerts and shut offs. Look at Herpstats please before you spend your hard earned money.

I do have herpstat's on my racks, but I'm considering one of these to replace the Jump-starts I have on singular enclosures.

I also think that any new device brought to market deserves a fair chance before we call it junk.

Also, as you stated, the Herpstat's are professional grade t-stats. I feel that the Exo Terra could be a hobbyist equivalent product. And could possibly be recommended to new hobbyists with a single snake to maintain instead of an on/off t-stat.

Nobody hear can deny that a proportional t-stat is better than an on/off one, but we still recommend a $30-35 on/off t-stat of someone can't afford a herpstat right away. This product fits the niche of a lot of the new keepers that come here and don't have a t-stat, but don't want to shell out $100+ for a herpstat, especially if their new pet was <$100. And it could be a better product than the Jump-start we recommend, if someone takes the time to test it out.

I just wanted to know if anyone had a bad experience with the product before I bothered looking further into one. But seeing as it is a proportional t-stat for $40, I may take the plunge and buy one to test it out. I'll probably start it on my empty quarantine rack and then if it checks out replace one of my Jump-starts with it and report back.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RXLReptiles For This Useful Post:

Lord Sorril (12-20-2018)

Thanks

Also I wouldn't necessarily call it Chain Store stuff, I've never seen an Exo Terra t-stat, or any brand for that matter, in a chain store. And while we may not be fans of Petco/Petsmart, if they did start carrying and recommending this product, that alone could help with most of the problems we deal with from new keepers.

I'd never trade my herpstat's for anything, but we have got to admit, as a community, that a casual owner of one or two snakes DOES NOT need to pay $100+ per pet/enclosure for a professional grade thermostat. That kind of mentality will kill the casual reptile community and dissuade a large number of new owners from becoming addicted like we are.

If we as hobbyists/owners/breeders want the community to grow we need to work together to find products that allow more responsible owners to enter the hobby without investing the same amount in a single enclosure that we do in our larger setups.

Now that being said, caring for an animal is never free, and usually not cheap, but it can be a reasonably affordable hobby if we all make the conscious decision to push the industry to that end.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RXLReptiles For This Useful Post:

Dianne (12-19-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

All good and valid points. Our local pet stores carry the one your looking into, he wants $69.00. I have seen some (not sure of brand) at Petsmart. Also If I was a beginner or just needed a single Tstat on a budget id go with a HepstatEZ. Thats a comparable price to the chain stores & pet shops carrying these types you have mention.
    Maybe that is because in familiar and comfortable with their products... I’ve had some running a decade so I recommend anything made by the tried and trusted. .
    Maybe someone will have some experience and input with these Exo Terra’s....

Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts

All good and valid points. Our local pet stores carry the one your looking into, he wants $69.00. I have seen some (not sure of brand) at Petsmart. Also If I was a beginner or just needed a single Tstat on a budget id go with a HepstatEZ. Thats a comparable price to the chain stores & pet shops carrying these types you have mention.
    Maybe that is because in familiar and comfortable with their products... I’ve had some running a decade so I recommend anything made by the tried and trusted. .
    Maybe someone will have some experience and input with these Exo Terra’s....

I agree with Christian. I would buy a Herpstat EZ instead.
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (12-19-2018)