Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,187

1 members and 3,186 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    A snake isn’t going to climb on a 100 degree bulb for long enough to burn. It takes a long time to burn at that temp, and the snake will move away.
    the 75 watt heat lamp which are much hotter (not cool LEDs) on my Neodesha ever about 114 at the screen, but the snakes just bask below and avoid the bulbs.
    100 degrees, 110 degrees surface temperature is nothing. Snakes only get hurt at those temps if they are laying directly on it for hours in their hides. Plumbing hot water is 120, and can’t burn you. Believe what you want, but these are scientific facts.
    Some of you are so paranoid, it’s a bit obsessive.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 12-16-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    http://www.burnfoundation.org/progra...ce.cfm?c=1&a=3

Third Degree Burns…
    …in 1 second at 156º
    …in 2 seconds at 149º
    …in 5 seconds at 140º
    …in 15 seconds at 133º.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 12-16-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Re: "Interesting" light positioning

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    http://www.burnfoundation.org/progra...ce.cfm?c=1&a=3

Third Degree Burns…
    …in 1 second at 156º
    …in 2 seconds at 149º
    …in 5 seconds at 140º
    …in 15 seconds at 133º.
    You know that the burn info you are referencing is for human beings and not ball pythons...? LOL. Dunking into 120 degree water can certainly damage a snake.

Though I agree a snake isn't just going to lay wrapped around that bulb, they can certainly lean on it since it was so low. Why not just be smart and stick to temps that are appropriate for ball pythons? What would you like to talk about?
    Last edited by redshepherd; 12-17-2018 at 12:15 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Kira (12-17-2018),MissterDog (12-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I guess I'm in the camp of "very paranoid" about reptile burns. I've seen enough severe injuries in snakes due to burns to last me a life time. Just during the years I did rescue, plus everything you see on social media and forums.

You cannot compare reptiles to humans when it comes to burns. We have a reflex to pull our hand/foot/whatever away immediately when something is even slightly uncomfortably hot. Reptiles do not possess this reflex. They can fall asleep on a hot object and burn before they realize it or feel the pain.

If we touch something hot for 5 seconds it may give us 1st degree burns. Touch the same item for 30 seconds, same heat, you may end up with second degree burns. And so on..

There is a great article out there, I will copy some highlights and link to the rest. There are many more like it.

"Thermal burns in reptiles are one of the most common injuries seen by herp veterinarians.The exact reason why reptiles seem so prone to burns is not understood, but something about their behavior makes them more susceptible to this type of injury than any other captive animal.

Because reptiles do everything slowly, it is not uncommon for an animal to get burned, but not actually show signs of the injury for several days. This is especially true for minor, or first-degree burns. This is significant, because burns, even apparently mild injuries, can have severe consequences if not treated properly.

Humans have a withdrawal reflex. When we touch something hot, without any cognizant thought, we automatically and immediately withdraw our hand. Reptiles, however, apparently do not possess this same reflex, and it is not uncommon for them to fall asleep on a hot surface and literally burn their skin off with no reaction.

The extent and severity of a burn is related to several factors. Obviously, the temperature of the heat source plays a significant role. Duration of contact also affects the severity of a burn. Again, touching a stove burner set on “warm” only briefly may result in a minor burn, whereas holding one’s hand on the same burner for several minutes may result in much more severe tissue damage. This is, perhaps, why we see such intense damage in reptiles that have fallen asleep on what seems like only a mildly hot heating element

Lastly, the heat conductance characteristics of the material being touched also plays a role in the severity of a burn. For instance, touching a hot piece of metal would cause a more severe burn than touching a piece of wood at the same temperature.

The reason why reptiles are so prone to burn injuries remains a mystery, but understanding the causes of burns and the mechanics of tissue injury will help prevent such occurrences, and, in the unfortunate event that they do happen, better manage their care.

The most important take-home message here is that when dealing with burns in reptile patients, be diligent, be clean, and, above all, be patient!"

Here is the link to the full article:

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/The-...s-in-Reptiles/

So yes, I'm paranoid when it comes to burns. Often you don't even actually see the damage until some time later and it quickly can turn into a bad mess as the tissue dies off and sloughs off. At which point you fight a high chance of infection during the long process of healing.

Nowadays there is simply no reason to have any heating elements in a snake/reptiles cage that aren't regulated by a thermostat or placed OUTSIDE of the enclosure. Having Bulbs inside an enclosure is never a good idea. While there are many bulbs that do not get to all that hot, the metal base often does get very hot. Hot enough to burn human skin if we touched it longer then a couple of seconds.

my 2 pennies
    Last edited by zina10; 12-17-2018 at 12:36 AM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-17-2018),Dianne (12-17-2018),Kira (12-17-2018),MissterDog (12-17-2018),redshepherd (12-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    You know that the burn info you are referencing is for human beings and not ball pythons...? LOL. Dunking into 120 degree water can certainly damage a snake.

Though I agree a snake isn't just going to lay wrapped around that bulb, they can certainly lean on it since it was so low. Why not just be smart and stick to temps that are appropriate for ball pythons? What would you like to talk about?
    This right here. I thought this stuff was basic common sense?
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Kira (12-17-2018),redshepherd (12-17-2018),zina10 (12-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Also just to add further facts to the thread: I just put a temp gun to my LED strip light from reptilebasics to get some exact temps, and it measured at 128 degrees. I put my temp gun to the LED bulb in my GTP enclosure, and it's 116 degrees.

I'm sure that any smart person on this forum would understand those are unsafe temp for any object that's close to the floor in a snake enclosure.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 12-17-2018 at 01:14 AM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Kira (12-17-2018),MissterDog (12-17-2018),zina10 (12-17-2018)

Thanks

Progress with the tank for anyone interested... Just need plants (to hide the vents) and bugs now!

Just for reference the lighting is provided by two 22W jungle dawn LEDs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ThinkSta For This Useful Post:

Dianne (12-30-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12