Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,359

4 members and 3,355 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is it ok to rest the tubs on the heat tapes contact points?

I was setting up my new enclosures to transfer my snakes into and realized the tub lifts up a little bit because it's resting on the contact points where the wire is attached to the heat tape and taped over with black electrical tape. Is this ok or is it dangerous to have the tub resting on top of the contact points?

Thanks

Re: Is it ok to rest the tubs on the heat tapes contact points?

Quote Originally Posted by Pterolykus View Post
    I was setting up my new enclosures to transfer my snakes into and realized the tub lifts up a little bit because it's resting on the contact points where the wire is attached to the heat tape and taped over with black electrical tape. Is this ok or is it dangerous to have the tub resting on top of the contact points?
    Are you worried about the heat tape melting the plastic that won't happen any heating Source should be controlled by a thermostat and they don't get hot enough to melt plastic anyway at least they shouldn't it takes over 200 Fahrenheit before a plastic would even start warping it's fine if it's touching it it's not going to hurt anything

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan_ View Post
    Are you worried about the heat tape melting the plastic that won't happen any heating Source should be controlled by a thermostat and they don't get hot enough to melt plastic anyway at least they shouldn't it takes over 200 Fahrenheit before a plastic would even start warping it's fine if it's touching it it's not going to hurt anything

I wasn't worried about it melting. I've done plenty of research to know that it wouldn't melt with a thermostat and proper temps like you said. I was just wondering if it would affect the heat tapes performance by having pressure on top of the contact points. Thanks for your input!

Thanks

I wasn't worried about it melting. I've done plenty of research to know that it wouldn't melt with a thermostat and proper temps like you said. I was just wondering if it would affect the heat tapes performance by having pressure on top of the contact points. Thanks for your input!
    Is it only parts of it contacting or the whole thing?. Id imagine if the entire tape is contacting the heat should be evenly distrubuted if its only pieces ur heat will probably be off alot in certain areas. If its off i would try to balance it all out.

Thanks

My tubs sit ontop of my heat mats and it doesent affect them at all. I run them between 90 and 95 on the thermostat and they work just fine

Thanks

Here's a picture of what I mean by contact points. The tape is covering where the wire is connected to the heat tape.

Thanks

Here's a picture of what I mean by contact points. The tape is covering where the wire is connected to the heat tape.
    Use tapatalk app to upload photos its alot easier. This photo is not appearing.

Thanks
    OP is saying the tub is contacting the wire connections to the tape and not the tape itself.

I'd be a bit worried about the tub bumping into the side of those connectors over time as it passes over on closing that it would loosen the connection to the tape. I'd try to get it off of the connectors.

THG tape is connected to the cord by rivets (that's how RBI does it). With something like THG, I would worry about those rivets elongating the hole in the tape and messing up the electrical conduction.
    Last edited by ryknoll3; 12-13-2018 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks

Yeah i wouldnt let the tub touch the connectors i have all my cords hanging off the sides i dont let my tubs sit on any of the cords or connectors

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts

It's better not to do that...for the same reason you don't want to be stepping on an extension cord on the floor. Repeated abrasion or weight causes failure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast