Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,328

1 members and 3,327 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Curious Behavior

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Well, I mainly got them to make him feel a bit more safe & secure but maybe I can just wrap the outside with something else. Gonna finish plugging that hole and see how he does for a bit.

Thanks for the insight!
    No problem, happy to help. When plugging the hole be sure NOT to use any tape, adhesives or anything like that.

And don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with using them If you like it and it poses no danger to your snake by all means keep it.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

dr del (12-16-2018),FollowTheSun (12-11-2018),Shayne (12-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Well, I mainly got them to make him feel a bit more safe & secure but maybe I can just wrap the outside with something else. Gonna finish plugging that hole and see how he does for a bit.

Thanks for the insight!
    I like to add scenery on the outside of the glass (I use tanks & primarily keep colubrids these days), then if needed, I can also insulate using something behind scenery
    like foam board (or similar stuff of your choice). Because you're so open to suggestions, you'll be "thinking like a snake" in no time. Forums like this are helpful
    because we don't all think of the same things, whether good ideas or things to avoid (-like tape! ), & we have the best interest of your snake in our suggestions.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Shayne (12-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    No problem, happy to help. When plugging the hole be sure NOT to use any tape, adhesives or anything like that.

And don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with using them If you like it and it poses no danger to your snake by all means keep it.
    No adhesives, got it. My plan was to cut a piece off of extra I had left over just snug enough to squeeze it into place. Since it's up against the side of the cage this should suffice, IMO. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I like to add scenery on the outside of the glass (I use tanks & primarily keep colubrids these days), then if needed, I can also insulate using something behind scenery
    like foam board (or similar stuff of your choice). Because you're so open to suggestions, you'll be "thinking like a snake" in no time. Forums like this are helpful
    because we don't all think of the same things, whether good ideas or things to avoid (-like tape! ), & we have the best interest of your snake in our suggestions.

Nice! My wife is eyeing some corn snakes right now. At least she's interested in this so I'm not complaining at all. She's never looked twice at any of my other hobbies. lol

Yes, this forum is fantastic! Every one is so nice....and patient. It really does help. Yea, I try to be as open-minded as possible. After all, we just want what's best for our lil' family members.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-12-2018),FollowTheSun (12-11-2018)

Thanks

...Nice! My wife is eyeing some corn snakes right now. At least she's interested in this so I'm not complaining at all. She's never
    looked twice at any of my other hobbies. lol...
    You & your wife couldn't go wrong with a corn snake...they are much easier than ball pythons in terms of care (temperatures needed) & ease of feeding, plus they
    are colorful, normally very docile, and if you put some diagonal branches in their cage, you'll find they like to "hang out" rather than hide so much. Excellent pets.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Shayne (12-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You & your wife couldn't go wrong with a corn snake...they are much easier than ball pythons in terms of care (temperatures needed) & ease of feeding, plus they
    are colorful, normally very docile, and if you put some diagonal branches in their cage, you'll find they like to "hang out" rather than hide so much. Excellent pets.
    That's awesome! She'll be excited to hear they're so easy. She's been stressing just from watching me stress. In fact, she's been going in the room and checking on him just as much as I have. Thankfully he's in a spare bedroom where it stay nice & quiet so she just peeks her head in to take a look. Any experience with Milk snakes?

Thanks

That's awesome! She'll be excited to hear they're so easy. She's been stressing just from watching me stress. In fact, she's been going in the room and checking on him just as much as I have. Thankfully he's in a spare bedroom where it stay nice & quiet so she just peeks her head in to take a look. Any experience with Milk snakes?
    Milk snakes are beautiful but super-squirmy & escape artists. They tend to be high-strung, not great to handle even when they grow up. If you're after a pet to just
    observe, not handle, they're better for that. It's not like they're biters, most don't have mouths big enough to bite effectively; they're more apt to defend themselves
    the way hatchling king snakes do (squirt you with feces ). They do grow out of it though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Shayne (12-12-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Id go with RBI pvc Hides. Ive seen hundreds of posts by people with decorative hides having problems like this for a decade. Sometimes simple and on point is what is best for these guys/gals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Shayne (12-12-2018),Sonny1318 (12-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Id go with RBI pvc Hides. Ive seen hundreds of posts by people with decorative hides having problems like this for a decade. Sometimes simple and on point is what is best for these guys/gals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree! I just put part of a gift wrapping cardboard tube in Noodle's cage and she loves it! It's like spending $ for a gift for a child, only to have them prefer to play in the box!
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-12-2018),CALM Pythons (12-12-2018),Shayne (12-12-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

You really can't go wrong with corns. But I'm much more of a Kingsnake fan. I've kept corns in the past but have moved on. But I'll always have a King in the family. My current King, Django is my favorite snake I've ever kept.

The care for corns is pretty much the same as Kings (and milks, the Kings cousin).
    They're super easy, inquisitive, stay a very manageable size and are a lot of fun. Just be prepared that they're a LOT quicker than BPs and are great escape artists.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 12-12-2018 at 09:43 AM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-12-2018),Shayne (12-12-2018)

Thanks
    I agree with Craig...king snakes are another good possibility for you (they are more handleable than milk snakes), and don't forget there's a whole world
    of rat snakes (besides corn snakes) too. Also fun are the gopher, bull & pine snakes. You see why we're all snake-addicts around here? So many kinds
    to love!

BTW (& just because I'm a bad influence, I'll mention one more)- boas & BPs are not the only things either. You might really enjoy an Australian spotted
    python (or one of it's close cousins) for a small (no bigger than a corn snake) true python that feeds EASILY on small f/t mice. These do need a warmer
    cage than a corn snake or other colubrid, but they have a lot of personality...mine likes to bask on branches/driftwood (the way my rat snakes do) & she
    is very alert at all times.

Something tells me your "list" is getting longer...

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-12-2018),Shayne (12-12-2018)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast