Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,402

1 members and 3,401 guests
AR29,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Re: How my snake helps with my depression-- anyone else have depression?

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    Congrats!
    Fish and snakes just seem to go together.
    Agree, but I hate fishing snakes out from under the bed.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-09-2018)

Thanks

My dad died about a year ago in a very horrible way...My mom saw me sitting around and asked me if I wanted to get a pet to help me through my grief. I don't know if I have depression but I am often unhappy and I feel like I might have it. We were going to get a dog but I went to a Petsmart, saw the ball pythons, and asked to hold one. I liked them and knew that if we got a dog mom would be complaining and stuff and it might not work out. Before my dad died I had asked him for one and he said maybe if he got his own apartment. I kinda forgot about it because it didn't look like that would happen anytime soon. Anyways when I got home from a vacation that I was on I ordered my baby boy Sherman with the money dad left behind. Dad still got me that snake he said he might get me and I like thinking of it like that. I often wish he could meet Sherman. He calms me when I am nervous and when I'm sad he provides companionship. I love him. Snakes have become one of my favorite animals. I'm happy that they have helped you guys and I wish more people would see that they aren't horrible creatures.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sharon&Sherman For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-09-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-09-2018),Dianne (12-08-2018),Reinz (12-11-2018),the_rotten1 (12-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon&Sherman View Post
    My dad died about a year ago in a very horrible way...My mom saw me sitting around and asked me if I wanted to get a pet to help me through my grief. I don't know if I have depression but I am often unhappy and I feel like I might have it. We were going to get a dog but I went to a Petsmart, saw the ball pythons, and asked to hold one. I liked them and knew that if we got a dog mom would be complaining and stuff and it might not work out. Before my dad died I had asked him for one and he said maybe if he got his own apartment. I kinda forgot about it because it didn't look like that would happen anytime soon. Anyways when I got home from a vacation that I was on I ordered my baby boy Sherman with the money dad left behind. Dad still got me that snake he said he might get me and I like thinking of it like that. I often wish he could meet Sherman. He calms me when I am nervous and when I'm sad he provides companionship. I love him. Snakes have become one of my favorite animals. I'm happy that they have helped you guys and I wish more people would see that they aren't horrible creatures.

Ohhhh my goodness! This is so touching! I'm so sorry for your loss of your father, and I'm glad that he bought you that snake! :-)
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-09-2018),Reinz (12-11-2018),Sharon&Sherman (12-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

I'm so sorry about the loss of your dad and I'm glad that having Sherman is helping you. Pets can do so much for us...especially the "right ones" that are low-key and
    just "there" for us. But if you come to realize that you need more than Sherman can do, there's nothing wrong with talking to someone also...it doesn't have to be just
    one or the other. And we're glad to have you join us here too, but of course we're not professional counselors.

I love my dogs, but they need far more maintenance than a snake- every day, & all day long you have to be sure their needs are met. A snake was a fortunate choice,
    & a sweet way to remember your dad too.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-09-2018),Reinz (12-11-2018),Sharon&Sherman (12-09-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Thank you so much for sharing this story. I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your father, my best wishes are being sent your way.

That is SUPER cool that you decided to purchase a new pet and your dad was able to buy your snake after all. I'm sure a part of your dad is living on through your snake and will live on for many years to come.

Again, thanks for sharing this story. You truly warmed my heart this morning. I wish you and Sherman all the best moving forward.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-09-2018),Dianne (12-09-2018),FollowTheSun (12-09-2018),Reinz (12-11-2018),Sharon&Sherman (12-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    I just wanted to add to this thread-- if anyone needs to talk about anything, I'm a good listener and I understand what it's like to struggle. You can PM me any time.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-09-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-09-2018),Reinz (12-11-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    I just wanted to add to this thread-- if anyone needs to talk about anything, I'm a good listener and I understand what it's like to struggle. You can PM me any time.
    Very cool.

I'm also happy to listen, talk, whatever anybody needs.
    Please feel free to PM me as well. Whether it's you that struggling, a loved one, whatever. I couldn't do it alone, and nobody else should have to either.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-09-2018),FollowTheSun (12-09-2018),MR Snakes (12-09-2018),Reinz (12-11-2018)

Thanks

me too

Thanks

Coming back from Iraq in 2006 and then dealing with the transition from military life to civilian life wasn’t an easy task for me. I found myself drinking (never did drugs) a lot more and ended up talking to my psychologist and psychiatrist and found myself with depression and anxiety with adjustment disorder. Years later I divorced my wife of 4 years and came out of the closet...lol yea scariest time of my life...even Iraq was better then this. And then right back into an abusive relationship that I was blindly used for my money and finical stability for 3 years....I lost everything! Two appts, 3 cars, and myself......I finally broke away and moved back with Mom and dad was still having mental problems. I ended up one night going on a bender....black out drunk, the only thing I remember was the airbag hitting my face. I had totaled two cars because I ran a red light. It still haunts me 8 years later. And I can admit I have a problem but it’s a demon that it’s my own. I still fight the depression and I tell you what...my Ramsey was the first thanks to my amazing husband and I go into my reptile room now and fall in love with them like it was the first day. They are my anxiety relief and they are my medicine. And I can’t thank my husband enough for that! Just wanted to share this because I feel comfortable. Yes I am a combat US Marine because I did bring up Iraq. And tbh there are times I wish I was back in because I still to this day hate civilian life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-11-2018),Dianne (12-09-2018),FollowTheSun (12-11-2018),Reinz (12-09-2018),Sharon&Sherman (12-09-2018),tttaylorrr (12-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post
    Coming back from Iraq in 2006 and then dealing with the transition from military life to civilian life wasn’t an easy task for me. I found myself drinking (never did drugs) a lot more and ended up talking to my psychologist and psychiatrist and found myself with depression and anxiety with adjustment disorder. Years later I divorced my wife of 4 years and came out of the closet...lol yea scariest time of my life...even Iraq was better then this. And then right back into an abusive relationship that I was blindly used for my money and finical stability for 3 years....I lost everything! Two appts, 3 cars, and myself......I finally broke away and moved back with Mom and dad was still having mental problems. I ended up one night going on a bender....black out drunk, the only thing I remember was the airbag hitting my face. I had totaled two cars because I ran a red light. It still haunts me 8 years later. And I can admit I have a problem but it’s a demon that it’s my own. I still fight the depression and I tell you what...my Ramsey was the first thanks to my amazing husband and I go into my reptile room now and fall in love with them like it was the first day. They are my anxiety relief and they are my medicine. And I can’t thank my husband enough for that! Just wanted to share this because I feel comfortable. Yes I am a combat US Marine because I did bring up Iraq. And tbh there are times I wish I was back in because I still to this day hate civilian life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of my military friends that served in combat are the same way...easier to cope with the known than readjust to “normal” stateside. Congratulations on the progress you’ve made as well as finding and freeing yourself...and best wishes for continued success. Each day is a new day. If today doesn’t go so well, there’s always tomorrow to try again.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Aerries (12-09-2018),Bogertophis (12-11-2018),Reinz (12-09-2018)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast