Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,221

1 members and 3,220 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Threaded View

Thanks

Re: BP always hangs out in the open

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Please make the temp a gun a top priority, you really don't know what your temps are without it.

Secondly, spraying cool water from your tap water can be catastrophic, and even room temp water can be very bad.

When misted, the water drops temp. Let's say, worst case scenario, the 70F room temp water stays 70F. You have an 80F ambient temp in the tank that all of a sudden is hit with 70F water. Instant 10F temp drop. To a reptile, that's huge and if that happens reguarly, that can easily cause illness and be as bad, if not worse, than the low humidity.

Always fill the water bottle fresh with hot tap water 100F+, as hot as your tap will make it up to 120F or so (mine comes out about 110-115F). When I mist, it drops immediately to about 78-80F. However, that's much less of shock to the tank than 70F or lower. I also have large tanks that hold humidity well, so I don't spray much and I don't have to spray on the animal.

If the animal is out when I spray, I never spray directly, but spray away from them, and if a little mist inadvertently touches them, it's not a big deal.

Remember, you also don't want to drench your tank, just moisten it a little.

If it's a screen top, which it sounds like it is, and you are using a CHE, cover the top with tin foil, with a cut out for the CHE. This will not only keep humidity in, but heat in as well and the CHE will work less hard, also drying the tank out less.

Additionally, what substrate are you using? That can make a difference as well.

Finally, I would figure out temps and what's going on with him first, before you try to move him.
    I would never fill a spray bottle with 120 degree water, but thats just me...
    1.0 Spider Ball
    Albino Ball
    Cinnamon Mojav​e Ball
    1.0 Red Blood '18

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockonjp76 For This Useful Post:

dadofsix (12-05-2018),MissterDog (12-05-2018)