Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,421

3 members and 3,418 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Threaded View

Thanks

toying with the idea of Leos

Recently I have been torn between a second BP or a lizard - and have been looking at a thousand species - from Ackies (need too much space right now) to blue-tongues (brumation honestly scares me lol), and bearded dragons seem too sensitive as far as UVB and the bugs they can/can't eat plus veggies to prep etc. Leo's have more pros than cons from what I have learned by reading, but I have a few questions that I hope someone with leos can answer.

1. Are mealworms an acceptable staple food source, with occasional roaches or other worms for variety? (I raise mealworms anyway and have read that they can eat all life stages)

I have also read where some people use repashy "grub pie" for geckos as a supplemental food but I'm not sure this of for leos vs arboreal species like the fruit based gel foods.

2. Is there such a thing as too big of a cage for an adult? I like the idea of something the size of a T10 (48x24x15) for lots of customization - multiple hides, multiple substrates, cage decor, etc

3. I understand that young geckos need far less space to reduce stress, but how fast do they grow? Can you start with a 10-20gal footprint terrarium then move to something bigger?

4. Being nocturnal I assume that a CHE would be best, but do they need visible light to know where to bask when needed? Probably a silly question

5. Can sphagnum moss be used safely for moist hide substrate?

6. I've read everything from tile, repti-carpet, and paper-towels as substrate plus occasionally eco-earth (dried out) for digging enrichment. Is there a 'best' or is it what you feel like cleaning up?

7. Is there a big difference in personality / health between genders? Any worry of egg-binding in non-breeding females?

8. Most I've seen are sold young, some tiny some a few inches - any pros/cons with purchase age?

9. As for supplements I've read that its is suggested to leave the calcium+d3 down in the cage at all times, as well as dust insects with both that and vitamin powder- but the recommended supplement schedules are all over the place from every feeding to once a week or less. Is vitamin A toxicity something common to them? I have not had to supplement a reptile since my iguana 15 years ago lol.

10. In the winter my house is 20-40% humidity, but in the summer that can be as high as 50-65% just in the house - will the ambient high humidity in the summer cause issues? I can add humidity for shed when needed, removing it is another story

My ideal habitat would have a lot of natural rock, slate tiles, homemade grout structures, and easily removable areas of repti-carpet for quick clean up. Possibly a removable section of eco-earth for digging that was opposite of the feeding area, unless they will just eat it. Sorry for the word wall ;/
    Last edited by Crowfingers; 11-27-2018 at 05:11 PM.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much