Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,364

3 members and 3,361 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

not eating new rats

Hi! Our 1.5 year old male never missed a feeding, but now hasn't eaten for 3 feedings, which were the first 3 rats from a new bag. Do you think it could be the batch of rats? Or just a coincidence because it's getting colder? I don't have another bag to open to try.

Thanks
    It's always a possibility but it's more likely that your male is now sexually mature and is more interested in finding a female at this time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jbrumley4201 For This Useful Post:

Marcus_Family (11-27-2018)

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Re: not eating new rats

Yep likely just a coincidence. I'd wait 2-3 weeks before you even offer again since I'm guessing it's a solid build if it went the last 1.5 years eating steadily.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Although i havent experienced a snake not eating prey from a different supplier or bag, i have read that it can happen. And considering how finicky BPs can be, its not out of the realm of possibility.

However, at that age, and this time of year, I'd chalk it up to coincidence. He's likely more concerned with finding a mate. I would offer every 2 weeks (or even longer) until he eats. You'll likely find he'll start up again in a few months and won't look back...for a while...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Marcus_Family (11-27-2018),Sonny1318 (11-27-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbrumley4201 View Post
    It's always a possibility but it's more likely that your male is now sexually mature and is more interested in finding a female at this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahshissyfix View Post
    Yep likely just a coincidence. I'd wait 2-3 weeks before you even offer again since I'm guessing it's a solid build if it went the last 1.5 years eating steadily.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Although i havent experienced a snake not eating prey from a different supplier or bag, i have read that it can happen. And considering how finicky BPs can be, its not out of the realm of possibility.

However, at that age, and this time of year, I'd chalk it up to coincidence. He's likely more concerned with finding a mate. I would offer every 2 weeks (or even longer) until he eats. You'll likely find he'll start up again in a few months and won't look back...for a while...

I have to agree with these guys as far as looking for a mate as we are getting into breeding season. My 2yr old Mojave has gone thru this. he may want a meal, sometimes will refuse a couple few Meals. Don’t worry to much like it was stated above wait a 2 - 3 weeks to re offer food. He is more worried about getting some than food right now 😂
    1.0 Champange Het Orange Ghost (Theseus)
    1.0 Mojave (Zeus)
    0.1 Fire (Astraea)
    0.1 Dragonfly (Persephone)
    0.1 Mystic Majove (Rhea) Aka Zabiatsche
    1.0 Spider (Achilles)
    0.1 Pastel (Kallisto)
    1.0 Cinnamon (Eros)
    0.1 Spider Vanilla (Calliope)
    0.1 Pinstripe (Thalia)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nightscavenger For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Lol I'm having the exact same issue. I got a new order from Perfect Prey for the first time about a month ago and magically none of the 3 BP's (1.1.1) are trying to eat.

0.1 is about 4, was supposedly a finicky eater before I got her in July, but turned out to be a very enthusiastic eater until now.

1.0 is about 4 or 5, humongous, and also ate like a pig since I got him in July until now.

0.0.1 is 1.5 years old, and has not missed a meal at all in that whole time until a month ago.

My 0.1 KSB isn't eating either, and he winter fasted the past 2 years so not worried.

I was a little concerned, but also recognized that they all may have other stuff on the mind with winter approaching. Especially considering there are definitely males and females near each other. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this going on.

BRB and Suri girls are still demolishing food at every opportunity. They could care less about the supplier or time of year

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python