Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,321

0 members and 3,321 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Snake looks kind of dehydrated to me. When i got Pat home, I would hold a little bowl of water to him every few days to make sure he drank. I would also keep the humidity high for a week and be sure to place a lot of easily accessible water bowls so the snake doesnt have to look far. You can also mist the snake as they will readily drink off themselves and any plants or glass sides. I dont do it often as i want my snakes to get used to using water bowls.

Also i would inject the F/T feeders with a syringe of water every feeding. I do that with Pat and Alex and have had perfect 1 piece sheds from them every time.

And i would cover 3 sides of the cage to give the snake a feeling of security. Also cover 3/4 or more of the top. I use tin foil and it works well.

If that snake is a manok, it is younger than a year. They generally will start color changing around a year old. Biaks are the only ones that take forever and a day to change. Pat is about 1.3 years old and he is starting his change and he is a biak.

Also i would be worried about anyone who sexes a GTP under 1 year old. You might have gotten lucky but sexing that young can easily break or kink their spine as they are very fragile as babies.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-27-2018),KodeyEH (11-26-2018)

Thanks

Re: Finally Brought Her Home!

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Snake looks kind of dehydrated to me. When i got Pat home, I would hold a little bowl of water to him every few days to make sure he drank. I would also keep the humidity high for a week and be sure to place a lot of easily accessible water bowls so the snake doesnt have to look far. You can also mist the snake as they will readily drink off themselves and any plants or glass sides. I dont do it often as i want my snakes to get used to using water bowls.

Also i would inject the F/T feeders with a syringe of water every feeding. I do that with Pat and Alex and have had perfect 1 piece sheds from them every time.

And i would cover 3 sides of the cage to give the snake a feeling of security. Also cover 3/4 or more of the top. I use tin foil and it works well.

If that snake is a manok, it is younger than a year. They generally will start color changing around a year old. Biaks are the only ones that take forever and a day to change. Pat is about 1.3 years old and he is starting his change and he is a biak.

Also i would be worried about anyone who sexes a GTP under 1 year old. You might have gotten lucky but sexing that young can easily break or kink their spine as they are very fragile as babies.
    I really appreciate the advice! I’ve been trying to find some water dishes that would suction to the sides of the cage or something along those lines but I’ve been struggling to find some but I’ll definitely try to hold up a shallow dish to her! I have also tried spraying her and the leaves in the morning but have yet to catch her drinking.

I’ll definitely give injecting the rodents with water a try, I do have the top of the terrarium cover for the most part, 3/4s if not more. She was probed before the show and I made sure to check her tail and spine and all seems fine but that’s just from what I can tell. And I’ll see what I can do about covering the sides and back of the terrarium to help her feel more secure!

I appreciate it Sauzo! I’ve been loving watching Pat grow, hopefully I can do things the right way and get things right with this amazing species!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KodeyEH For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (11-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Thanks. Pat has gotten huge from when i got him. He was as small as Alex and i got Alex from the breeder when she was just over 3 months old.

As for water dishes for glass cages, I use these for my Zoo Med cube. https://beanfarm.com/collections/foo...t=723909738523. And then i use these to hold the water https://beanfarm.com/collections/foo...t=724029079579. Kind of have to fill them every couple days but they work decent. I put one by their favorite spot and then have a full size water bowl on the floor.

For my PVC cages, i use stuff from Dave at S3D. https://www.specialtyenclosuredesigns.com/
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

RickyNY (11-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Looks amazing. I have been eyeballing them for a while. Looking forward to her progress.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

KodeyEH (11-27-2018)

Thanks

I gave her a soak last night and after checking on her this morning it does appear that she has stuck shed has she rubbed some loose. I’ll probably give her another soak tonight but I don’t want to stress her out too much

Thanks

Bit of an update, after speaking with the local go-to guy for chondro info and getting some advice from him, I managed to help her shed her stuck skin which was covering her entire body and I have moved her into a 12ish-qt tub with a basic setup until she’s eaten a few meals for me and until I can perfect the exo cube setup. She also had her first bowel movement which was a bit of a relief and after calling the local exotic vet clinic I found out they will do a fecal test but won’t tell me the results of the test until after they’ve done an exam on the snake and the fecal can be no older than 8 hours old. So I’m going to hold off on the exam until she’s comfortable and eating regularly as I feel she’s gone through enough stress getting settled in.

I did manage to get some really nice shots of her while I was cleaning her tub. I have also decided to name her Hex (with Hexa meaning 6 and her having 6 dots on her head, I thought it was quite fitting). I should probably get a proper progression thread going here pretty soon lol

She has a small darker patch of colour on the coil just to the left of her head in the photos, I’m not sure if its some green starting to try and poke through or just some discolouration.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KodeyEH For This Useful Post:

Dianne (12-01-2018),jmcrook (12-01-2018),Pengil (12-01-2018),WhompingWillow (11-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

She is absolutely beautiful! Glad to hear she's probably feeling more comfortable with the retained shed removed.
    Last edited by WhompingWillow; 11-30-2018 at 11:51 PM.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

KodeyEH (11-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Simply beautiful...and I love the close up.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    GORGEOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And seems to be doing exceptionally well for you. Sweetheart, too. Both of mine were really calm and tame.

I would try to take the fecal to another vet. Its ridiculous that they won't tell you results without "examining" the snake. I spare no expense when it comes to my animals but I'm NOT a fan of taking a reptile, esp. snake, to a vet for a general exam. Not unless there is a problem that warrants it.

Way to much stress. Change of temps. Transport. To me that is not worth it just so a vet can look the snake over. Again, unless there is a problem.

It is true, a fecal needs to be fresh, and not ever frozen.

I would ask another vet to do the fecal and leave the snake at home and stress free.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

16. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

KodeyEH (12-01-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    GORGEOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And seems to be doing exceptionally well for you. Sweetheart, too. Both of mine were really calm and tame.

I would try to take the fecal to another vet. Its ridiculous that they won't tell you results without "examining" the snake. I spare no expense when it comes to my animals but I'm NOT a fan of taking a reptile, esp. snake, to a vet for a general exam. Not unless there is a problem that warrants it.

Way to much stress. Change of temps. Transport. To me that is not worth it just so a vet can look the snake over. Again, unless there is a problem.

It is true, a fecal needs to be fresh, and not ever frozen.

I would ask another vet to do the fecal and leave the snake at home and stress free.
    Thanks! Yeah I’m with you on that, I’m contemplating an exam once she’s settled in and eating regularly but even then... I don’t know. There’s another vet I could try so I’ll probably call them after work today and check for the future!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to KodeyEH For This Useful Post:

zina10 (12-01-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast