Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,092

0 members and 3,092 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered User Mc.mischievous7's Avatar
    Thanks

First feeding mishap

Feed Mysic this evening. Took the rat like normal, with no problem. As I was watching him eat(cus I'm a weirdo) I notice that Mystic didnt have the rat feet in his mouth so as he was swallowing the feet of the rat would get in the way to the point that he couldn't go down any further. I wanted to help but decided not to and let him handle it on his own. I left him alone and came back a while later and found out that he didnt eat the rat. I would assume because he was having difficulties. Which I get. Now I'm uncertain. Should I try to feed him another rat or wait until next Sunday(which is feeding day for him) to try to feed him.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: First feeding mishap

Quote Originally Posted by Mc.mischievous7 View Post
    Feed Mysic this evening. Took the rat like normal, with no problem. As I was watching him eat(cus I'm a weirdo) I notice that Mystic didnt have the rat feet in his mouth so as he was swallowing the feet of the rat would get in the way to the point that he couldn't go down any further. I wanted to help but decided not to and let him handle it on his own. I left him alone and came back a while later and found out that he didnt eat the rat. I would assume because he was having difficulties. Which I get. Now I'm uncertain. Should I try to feed him another rat or wait until next Sunday(which is feeding day for him) to try to feed him.

First off never leave a feeding unattended until it has been fully swallowed and down. You could have came back to a dead snake. Also never attempt to help force feed or help remove a feed from the snakes mouth as it can hurt the snake and/or result in death.

Now as I understand from your post your snake was trying to eat, but rejected the rat? I’m not there but do you think the rat was to large for snake to Handle and it rejected it? Since it rejected it you should wait a week and get a rat half the size even smaller and feed the snake to help get the snake back to normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Champange Het Orange Ghost (Theseus)
    1.0 Mojave (Zeus)
    0.1 Fire (Astraea)
    0.1 Dragonfly (Persephone)
    0.1 Mystic Majove (Rhea) Aka Zabiatsche
    1.0 Spider (Achilles)
    0.1 Pastel (Kallisto)
    1.0 Cinnamon (Eros)
    0.1 Spider Vanilla (Calliope)
    0.1 Pinstripe (Thalia)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nightscavenger For This Useful Post:

Mc.mischievous7 (11-26-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nightscavenger View Post
    First off never leave a feeding unattended until it has been fully swallowed and down. You could have came back to a dead snake. Also never attempt to help force feed or help remove a feed from the snakes mouth as it can hurt the snake and/or result in death.

Now as I understand from your post your snake was trying to eat, but rejected the rat? I’m not there but do you think the rat was to large for snake to Handle and it rejected it? Since it rejected it you should wait a week and get a rat half the size even smaller and feed the snake to help get the snake back to normal

I could of came back with a dead snake? Omg! Please elaborate on that. I never heard of that before. The rat size is what the breeder was feeding him. He has been doing great with eating the rats, it's just this time he was having difficulties because of the rats feet being in the way.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,921 Times in 11,903 Posts
    I don't understand either...all rats do have feet! It sounds to me as if the rat was too large for your snake. Or was he trying to swallow it backwards?
    The breeder may have been trying to accelerate his growth by feeding larger prey, so don't assume that what he was feeding was the right size for your snake.

For what it's worth, I've been at this many years & I've never heard of anyone coming back to a dead snake that swallowed wrong, though it's possible for a snake
    to be injured from swallowing something way too big & then getting further injury from regurgitating it, but I'm just not sure what difference it would make if you
    were standing right there...you can't pull the rodent back out when a snake is swallowing it. A snake CAN die from swallowing prey that's too large, it's just not
    very common.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,997 Posts

I could of came back with a dead snake? Omg! Please elaborate on that. I never heard of that before. The rat size is what the breeder was feeding him. He has been doing great with eating the rats, it's just this time he was having difficulties because of the rats feet being in the way.

Maybe nightscavenger is assuming it was a LIVE feed ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-26-2018),Mc.mischievous7 (11-26-2018),MissterDog (11-26-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I don't understand either...all rats do have feet! It sounds to me as if the rat was too large for your snake. Or was he trying to swallow it backwards?
    The breeder may have been trying to accelerate his growth by feeding larger prey, so don't assume that what he was feeding was the right size for your snake.

For what it's worth, I've been at this many years & I've never heard of anyone coming back to a dead snake that swallowed wrong, though it's possible for a snake
    to be injured from swallowing something way too big & then getting further injury from regurgitating it, but I'm just not sure what difference it would make if you
    were standing right there...you can't pull the rodent back out when a snake is swallowing it. A snake CAN die from swallowing prey that's too large, it's just not
    very common.
    Ofc all rats have feet. I wasnt saying that they dont. What I said was that the feet of the rat was preventing him from swallowing. Because the rats gets was up towards the rats head. When Mystic attacked it he didnt put the feet of the rat in his mouth. So it prevented him from eating it whole.

And I feed him the same size rats the breeder was feeding him because it was recommended. So now I'm not suppose to follow the same rat size the breeder fed the snake. Smdh.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Maybe nightscavenger is assuming it was a LIVE feed ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    yea u are problem right.

Thanks

What I meant by rejection was the rat could have been too big, like I said I’m not there. Could of also rejected it because it could have started eating from the back end and just couldn’t get it down and decided meh I don’t want it. Now speaking on coming back to a dead snake, these guys are correct it not very common at all but it can happen. I should have better clarified myself on the part. I never leave a snake unattended I’m there all the way till I see a complete swallowing just Incase for some spook reason the feed gets stuck somehow.

1.0 Mojave (Zeus)
    0.1 Fire (Astraea)
    1.0 Spider (Achilles)
    0.1 Pastel (Kallisto)
    1.0 Cinnamon (Eros)
    0.1 Pinstripe (Thalia)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nightscavenger For This Useful Post:

Mc.mischievous7 (11-26-2018),Zincubus (11-26-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nightscavenger View Post
    What I meant by rejection was the rat could have been too big, like I said I’m not there. Could of also rejected it because it could have started eating from the back end and just couldn’t get it down and decided meh I don’t want it. Now speaking on coming back to a dead snake, these guys are correct it not very common at all but it can happen. I should have better clarified myself on the part. I never leave a snake unattended I’m there all the way till I see a complete swallowing just Incase for some spook reason the feed gets stuck somehow.

"Meh, I dont want it" lmbo made me laugh. He ate it from the front and couldn't get it down because of the rat feet. I wish I could draw a diagram for you but I SUCK at drawing. Lol. But I know not to leave him unattended again when it comes to his feeding. I thought we as snake owner was suppose to leave them alone while they were eating and a few days later after their meal. Thought I was being a weirdo by watching him eat the previous times before. Lol. Thanks for your advice and tip. I will let him be for now on and try to feed him again later on in the week.

He is eating f/t weaned rats. Is that too big of a rat for a 222g ball python?

Thanks

"Meh, I dont want it" lmbo made me laugh. He ate it from the front and couldn't get it down because of the rat feet. I wish I could draw a diagram for you but I SUCK at drawing. Lol. But I know not to leave him unattended again when it comes to his feeding. I thought we as snake owner was suppose to leave them alone while they were eating and a few days later after their meal. Thought I was being a weirdo by watching him eat the previous times before. Lol. Thanks for your advice and tip. I will let him be for now on and try to feed him again later on in the week.

He is eating f/t weaned rats. Is that too big of a rat for a 222g ball python?

Does seem weird lol, I don’t hover over it while it’s eating I’m back away but can still keep eyes on it. And yes you don’t want to handle it for at least 3 days after it’s meal.

1.0 Mojave (Zeus)
    0.1 Fire (Astraea)
    1.0 Spider (Achilles)
    0.1 Pastel (Kallisto)
    1.0 Cinnamon (Eros)
    0.1 Pinstripe (Thalia)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nightscavenger For This Useful Post:

Mc.mischievous7 (11-26-2018)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast