Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,362

2 members and 3,360 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Axanthic Question

To start off with, the reason I became interested in ball pythons was seeing the snakes produced by JD Constriction and The Axanthic Project. Something about the white and black coloring hooked me and I immediately had to have one!

That being said, can someone shed light on how the color change from black, grey and brown to black and white occurs from a breeding standpoint? In other words, is it selective breeding from lighter colored axanthics that causes it? Are there other genes involved to get to black and white?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I’m no expert by any means but what I believe to be true is they find the morph and breed it, then the ones that have that trait they will then rebreed it back to the mom/dad/siblings all while taking the best examples and breeding them back to their families that have the best example of the morph they are after.

It it takes a long time to hit these odds

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Jbabycsx (11-26-2018)

Thanks

Re: Axanthic Question

That’s what I was thinking. I just didn’t know if maybe there was something specific they had thrown into the mix to get the desired result.

Thanks
    Yeah, with the axanthic's your talking about, they are just line bred, or selectively bred to other good examples of the gene.

The "browning out" that happens with a lot of morphs varies by the individual, so selective breeding of animals that brown out the least will cause less browning in future generations. The same idea applies to pastels or other light genes that you want to keep bright.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RXLReptiles For This Useful Post:

Jbabycsx (11-26-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    The Whitest of the Axanthics that I've seen are the Super Pastel Fire Axanthic (TSK) line. A Truly black and white snake, very beautiful animals.

Myself, I am eyeballing a Female Pastel Axanthic from JD Constrictors at Tinley in March if there is one I like.

Paul

Thanks
    After rereading your original question and seeing paul's response above I realize I was looking at the question the wrong way. Selective breeding will produce a more black and white snake, but genes like the fire, spider, or pastel/super pastel can help eliminate some of the browning as well by lightening up the pattern/color of the snake as a whole.

So the answer to your question is dependent on whether you just want a really clean black and white axanthic without other genes in it, or are you looking for like a zebra bee or fire zebra bee.

Either way the best place to start would be a high quality axanthic animal or some hets from a high quality axanthic animal to get you rolling in the right direction.

Thanks

Re: Axanthic Question

Quote Originally Posted by RXLReptiles View Post
    After rereading your original question and seeing paul's response above I realize I was looking at the question the wrong way. Selective breeding will produce a more black and white snake, but genes like the fire, spider, or pastel/super pastel can help eliminate some of the browning as well by lightening up the pattern/color of the snake as a whole.

So the answer to your question is dependent on whether you just want a really clean black and white axanthic without other genes in it, or are you looking for like a zebra bee or fire zebra bee.

Either way the best place to start would be a high quality axanthic animal or some hets from a high quality axanthic animal to get you rolling in the right direction.
    Yeah I notice that they breed a lot of spider and pastels. That’s what I was looking for as far as info. I already have the male. I went with the VPI line instead of TSK due to availability. I’m still a ways off from breeding, just gathering info.