Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,044

1 members and 3,043 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Sick snake? Need advice/opinions

About 45 minutes ago I was laying in bed and I heard my bp make some wheezing sounds in his cage, being concerned about a respiratory infection I decided to get up to go check on him. I open his cage, move his hide and pick him up to pull him out and check him out. As I'm taking him out he proceeds to have, what I think, is diarrhea all over the floor.

My question here is whether or not my snake actually had diarrhea or not and what I should do about it. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, it's 2 am and I was too tired, shocked, and grossed out to think to take a picture. It was very watery with two large white urates. Most of what came out was just a liquid with a slightly greenish brown tint to it and there was a small bit of 'normal' looking poop, although it was a lot softer than usual. Everything about him has been fine, he is a little over a year and a half, he's been growing steadily and he's been eating normally, he's never skipped a meal. His last mouse was last Sunday. I haven't been regularly weighing anymore him since he refuses to stay still long enough so I can't check that to see if he's okay but like I said before, he's been growing steadily.

My question now is what should I do from here? He's due to be fed in two days, on Sunday, should I try to feed him and see how he does with that? Given that everything else with him seems fine should I try to weigh him and monitor that?

Also I'd like to add that he's moving around fine after what happened. He didn't seem to be affected by it at all. I took him out two days prior as well and he was acting perfectly fine.

And to clarify the breathing thing, he is about to shed so a little piece of shed was just sticking out over his nostril and making that sound, so theres nothing respiratory going on.

Thank you for reading this long post and again sorry for the lack of pictures. Thank you for the help.
    Last edited by bps_in_space; 11-23-2018 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Clarification

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 843 Posts
    Is there a chance that it could have been gas? Some snakes do fart before passing feces or urates. Also, make sure to double check your temps, if they're on the cooler side, it can affect digestion sometimes.

If he's due to shed, I would skip this meal and feed him after he sheds. Was he in blue? or is it just an estimate since last time he shed? Sometimes shedding can also affect the digestion process for these guys as well.

I would keep an eye on him regardless. If he makes and other wheezing sounds, gets lethargic or starts bubbling, obviously get him to a vet. But also keep an eye out for his next stool. If it still looks questionable, you can ziplock baggie it and get it tested for parasites.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-23-2018),bps_in_space (11-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,867 Times in 4,781 Posts
    I'd guess that the "wheezing" was probably a pre-poop fart. If you keep a snake in your bedroom, these can be loud enough overnight to wake you up.

In the future if you hear your snake making an odd noise, you can observe it for 10-15 minutes in its enclosure before picking him up.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-23-2018),bps_in_space (11-23-2018),Craiga 01453 (11-23-2018),Godzilla78 (11-23-2018),Sonny1318 (11-23-2018)

Thanks

Re: Sick snake? Need advice/opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    Is there a chance that it could have been gas? Some snakes do fart before passing feces or urates. Also, make sure to double check your temps, if they're on the cooler side, it can affect digestion sometimes.

If he's due to shed, I would skip this meal and feed him after he sheds. Was he in blue? or is it just an estimate since last time he shed? Sometimes shedding can also affect the digestion process for these guys as well.

I would keep an eye on him regardless. If he makes and other wheezing sounds, gets lethargic or starts bubbling, obviously get him to a vet. But also keep an eye out for his next stool. If it still looks questionable, you can ziplock baggie it and get it tested for parasites.
    He was in blue two days ago and it's been about a month since his last shed. Since he's doing fine now I was just planning on observing him and checking his next stool. As for the wheezing, that has stopped since he got the shed off of his head. He has a weird habit of getting the shed off of his head and the a day or two later getting the rest of his shed off. Hopefully it's just gas though, it has been getting colder here and I have his heat lamp on a timer so I've been meaning to increase the on time for the lamp for about an hour. Thank you for your help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I'd guess that the "wheezing" was probably a pre-poop fart. If you keep a snake in your bedroom, these can be loud enough overnight to wake you up.

In the future if you hear your snake making an odd noise, you can observe it for 10-15 minutes in its enclosure before picking him up.
    It's reassuring to hear that you think it's just gas as well. I was already awake when he began making the wheezing and sneezing noises as I'm a little sick myself and can't breathe myself. But I did wait about five minutes before I took him out, I was watching him and all he was doing was moving around in his hide, which I now know was him getting the shed off of his head. But thank you to you as well for your help.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts
    I agree with other posts above, what you heard was likely gas before he defecated...and sometimes their 'stuff' is more watery than other times. It can also
    look different when it's on another surface, rather than in their cage being absorbed by the substrate. Not likely anything respiratory going on, & I'd stay the
    course on his meals. You might get his next stool checked out if it seems funky. Hope you feel better too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bps_in_space (11-23-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I agree with other posts above, what you heard was likely gas before he defecated...and sometimes their 'stuff' is more watery than other times. It can also
    look different when it's on another surface, rather than in their cage being absorbed by the substrate. Not likely anything respiratory going on, & I'd stay the
    course on his meals. You might get his next stool checked out if it seems funky. Hope you feel better too.
    Thank you so much. I'll definitely keep an eye on him and check his next stool but as of now I'm going to proceed as normal since he seems to be doing great.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bps_in_space For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-23-2018)