Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,151

1 members and 3,150 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Shedding tips?

Thanks

Shedding tips?

I'm so bloody happy right now because I came home to find my 3, almost 4, month old ball python starting to shed! He already has a piece of his skin loose around his neck and he was trying to rub against the glass to begin shedding more. Because he has been eating off and on and he has been eating for the past two weeks, he hadn't shed for the entire he was with me, but he went in blue right away. And then his eyes cleared up early yesterday- and now he's started his shed
    Since this is my first time dealing with him in shed, is there anything in particular I need to do? I've seen people on YouTube helping their snakes shed, so is that something I should do as well?
    Tomorrow is also his feeding day- so should I still offer him food? How long will he take to completely shed?

Thank you Anything helps

P.S- Thanks again to all the users who recommended me tips and gave me answers about him not shedding on my previous posts. I really appreciated it and it, obviously, really helped!
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks
    Don’t help him shed. Don’t bother him at all. I would hold the feed off until he’s entirely done shedding. Bump humidity up to 70 and leave him alone till he’s done.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sallysmom For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-26-2018),dakski (11-22-2018),Traceur (11-25-2018)

Thanks

Shedding tips?

I’ve done the whole bump my moisture levels up to the 70%-80% during shed. I’ve had mixed results with partial shed or an almost complete shed. Something I’ve learned over the years. Newspaper, plastic hide, plastic water bowl good luck on a good shed at Bp has nothing to help assist. I do use newspaper and paper towels. I check on my Bp daily and the first sign of shed. I bump the moisture up drop a 10”x 10” bark in there and during the end just right about to shed I’ll let them swim in a tub with a towel over the top for about 20 to 30 minutes then pull them out and put them back in their box and within the next two days I’ll pull out an almost complete shed off the bark. If there is a little bit left I’ll let it come off naturally. Now if I see one or both eye caps or having and issue coming off then I have to help assist getting the off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nightscavenger; 11-25-2018 at 07:25 PM.
    1.0 Champange Het Orange Ghost (Theseus)
    1.0 Mojave (Zeus)
    0.1 Fire (Astraea)
    0.1 Dragonfly (Persephone)
    0.1 Mystic Majove (Rhea) Aka Zabiatsche
    1.0 Spider (Achilles)
    0.1 Pastel (Kallisto)
    1.0 Cinnamon (Eros)
    0.1 Spider Vanilla (Calliope)
    0.1 Pinstripe (Thalia)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nightscavenger For This Useful Post:

Traceur (11-25-2018)

Thanks

Re: Shedding tips?

Quote Originally Posted by nightscavenger View Post
    I’ve done the whole bump my moisture levels up to the 70%-80% during shed. I’ve had mixed results with partial shed or an almost complete shed. Something I’ve learned over the years. Newspaper, plastic hide, plastic water bowl good luck on a good shed at Bp has nothing to help assist. I do use newspaper and paper towels. I check on my Bp daily and the first sign of shed. I bump the moisture up drop a 10”x 10” bark in there and during the end just right about to shed I’ll let them swim in a tub with a towel over the top for about 20 to 30 minutes then pull them out and put them back in their box and within the next two days I’ll pull out an almost complete shed off the bark. If there is a little bit left I’ll let it come off naturally. Now if I see one or both eye caps or having and issue coming off then I have to help assist getting the off.

He got his entire body skin off, but there's still skin left on his face and head. I'm giving him more time to get that piece off since I know shedding takes around a week or so, I believe
    Thanks for the tips and advice!

After he gets done shedding, all I have to do is just toss his skin??
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks

Shedding tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    He got his entire body skin off, but there's still skin left on his face and head. I'm giving him more time to get that piece off since I know shedding takes around a week or so, I believe
    Thanks for the tips and advice!

After he gets done shedding, all I have to do is just toss his skin??
    Unless you want to keep it for a picture frame then you can toss it. Just keep and eye on his head and eyes to make sure he had at least got his eye caps removed. If the eye caps have come off and the head has a bit of shed left it’s ok he will get it off naturally.

Last edited by nightscavenger; 11-26-2018 at 12:04 AM.
    1.0 Champange Het Orange Ghost (Theseus)
    1.0 Mojave (Zeus)
    0.1 Fire (Astraea)
    0.1 Dragonfly (Persephone)
    0.1 Mystic Majove (Rhea) Aka Zabiatsche
    1.0 Spider (Achilles)
    0.1 Pastel (Kallisto)
    1.0 Cinnamon (Eros)
    0.1 Spider Vanilla (Calliope)
    0.1 Pinstripe (Thalia)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    Also make sure all the old skin comes off the tail tip too, otherwise a few sheds left on can cut off circulation & result in the tissue death & loss of tail tip.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (11-26-2018)