Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,478

1 members and 3,477 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Newbie Question

Registered User Mc.mischievous7's Avatar
    Thanks

Newbie Question

I have been noticing some individuals on this forum has mentioned putting foam underneath your tub. First time hearing about this so I thought I am some questions in regards to using foam under a snake enclosure. My question is what type of foam do you use to out under your enclosure? Would you suggest using foam for a plastic tub or tanks only? What is the benefits of using foam?

Extra question: I am in the process of looking for a better Thermometer for my plastic tub. Could someone suggest a good Thermometer for my enclosure. That would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Cannot address the foam. If you want the best thermostat, I would look at:

www.spyderrobotics.com or www.vivariumelectronics.com.

The HerpStat and the VE Series thermostats are the BEST in the business and come down to aesthetics on which is better (from what I gather). I just bought a Herpstat 1 for my rack and couldn't be happier.

Spyder Robotics is also having a 10% off sale now.

Best,

Paul

Thanks

Re: Newbie Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mc.mischievous7 View Post
    I have been noticing some individuals on this forum has mentioned putting foam underneath your tub. First time hearing about this so I thought I am some questions in regards to using foam under a snake enclosure. My question is what type of foam do you use to out under your enclosure? Would you suggest using foam for a plastic tub or tanks only? What is the benefits of using foam?

Extra question: I am in the process of looking for a better Thermometer for my plastic tub. Could someone suggest a good Thermometer for my enclosure. That would be greatly appreciated

The people that use foam underneath typically put it under a glass aquarium for insulation and so that a stick-on UTH can stick completely to the glass. The foam is used under the UTH with a little channel cut out for the thermostat probe. This keeps the probe in place against the bottom of the mat.

I have a stick-on UTH under my plastic tub and the thermostat probe sandwiched in between. It works fine. I don't see a need for foam under the tub. I did silicone foam around the back and sides to help keep ambient temps up. I have a pretty cool (65-68F) that the snakes are in, so the foam around the back and sides helps with temps. I use a CHE to boost ambient temperatures.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ryknoll3 For This Useful Post:

Mc.mischievous7 (11-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mc.mischievous7 View Post
    ...Extra question: I am in the process of looking for a better Thermometer for my plastic tub. Could someone suggest a good Thermometer for my enclosure. That would be greatly appreciated ...
    I like this thermometer/hygrometer combo
    http://www.reptilebasics.com/thermometers/TH-100/
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

Mc.mischievous7 (11-21-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryknoll3 View Post
    The people that use foam underneath typically put it under a glass aquarium for insulation and so that a stick-on UTH can stick completely to the glass. The foam is used under the UTH with a little channel cut out for the thermostat probe. This keeps the probe in place against the bottom of the mat.

I have a stick-on UTH under my plastic tub and the thermostat probe sandwiched in between. It works fine. I don't see a need for foam under the tub. I did silicone foam around the back and sides to help keep ambient temps up. I have a pretty cool (65-68F) that the snakes are in, so the foam around the back and sides helps with temps. I use a CHE to boost ambient temperatures.
    Oh okay. Thanks for clearing that up. I thought I was gonna have add something else to my enclosure. Lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RickyNY View Post
    I like this thermometer/hygrometer combo
    http://www.reptilebasics.com/thermometers/TH-100/
    Ima check that out. Thanks for the suggestion

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Since I use tubs for QT and most get bumped into PVC cages when that's done, I have a variety of tub sizes and heat mat sizes I have had to use.

I don't honestly stick anything to the QT tubs themselves.. I want to be able to adjust sizes based on species and size of animals I get so that they have their needs met as goal #1. I don't just keep BPs like some do, so I have adapted things a bit to suit me.

What I do instead is use 1/2" pink insulation foam (sold in big sheets at the hardware store) and have it cut to the size of the table I use in my QT room, which happens for be 4'x2' *this piece is reused.

Beneath where the heat mat/pad goes on my designated hot side of the foam, I put the thermostat probe into a groove I made with a small knife and tape the cord down just below the probe, but not covering it.

Then I tape down the heat mat or heat tape with aluminum tape over the probe. I have a few different ones, bigger and smaller, that I choose between depending how big the tub I need to heat is.

So in the end, the heat mat is secured tightly over the probe, on an insulating surface so that heat isn't lost out the bottom nor can the probe read the temperature of the table rather than the heat source (which would be cooler in most cases and could cause the temperature of the heat mat to spike).

Then I just place a tub over top and line it up to have the heat under 1/3 to 1/2 the tub. This allows me to avoid fiddling with cables to be extra thorough cleaning my QT tubs, I can swap out the tubs for growing snakes or larger/smaller species, and the probe is still in position to read accurately, directly from the heat source.

Same sort of foam could be used beneath glass tanks, especially when someone taped down the heat mat without realizing the need for a thermostat.

As with any heat setup using thermostats, you have to do some testing to dial in the right temp for inside the tub before any animal is placed inside.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 11-21-2018 at 04:15 PM.