Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,795

4 members and 2,791 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

Thread: Cool Seeking?

Thanks

Cool Seeking?

Hey guys,
    Quick question… only due to her possible age, my new girlhas a name now .. my twin insisted on “Henny” like our fav drink lol…
    She has an unknown age, when I received her, her previousowner told me, he had her for almost 2 years, and his father had her from a babyfor about a year till he got her.
    So I am sure she is well into her 3rd or 4thwinter. She is defiantly in my plans pending her progression but not rnas my male needs to pick up….& again I am unsure of her actual age as sheis packing on weight rn. She has gone from 1012 to almost 1300gs from lastweight. My previous scale was broken so I got a new1 now. She ate 2 rats afterHollow refused about a month ago. I asked about power feeding due to a video I sawbut now I’m like wtf does she want now? But now I just moved her to med rats and she downed it ... question #2 with the size snakes I have I’ll post on their weights after I feedthem later this week but with 1200<+ snakes I have issues with them refusingmed rats… idk Spell will smell and I’ve wasted enough to know she is a pickyeater, so she eats smalls like nothing, same for Hollow, plus he is big for aboy @ 1247gs

question #1 So again cool seeking? No bowl wrapping ...but she has beenmoving her hide all the time off her hot spot past few weeks. All 3 of my biggals and guy are on the same thermostat and I check it almost daily, it’sbetween 87(86) 90 (89) no higher … no less unless they out where it’s around 79(78-80)
    Trust I check all 4 tubs routinely with my gun and biometriccalibrated thermometer … she has not gone into shed yet and I’ve had her forlil over 4 months now... she did shed for Andy – her previous owner before I gother, she had some stuck shed. But now that I have her, I know older snakes don’tshed as often as ones maturing ones but her possibly being 4 years old is thatold enough to skip shed cycles ? I will provide more info if you all have anysuggestions/questions, but I’m just trying to figure out what what she needs .or what I need to do

Thanks again

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1 So again cool seeking? No bowl wrapping
    She does not need anything but a male, your female is currently building follicles (that happens whether a male is introduced or not)

So what happen next is that if you pair her at the right time (when follicles are between the size of a dime to the size of a quarter) she will likely go on and ovulate.

Now if you do not pair her at all she will absorb her follicles and go on with life.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (11-19-2018)

Thanks
    thanks Deb, i was thinking the same thing.. I've researched some stuff and all signs point to her being ready/ getting there.. so I'm just new to all this and i want to be prepared "when the time is right" for both my girls, Spell has been moving her Hide off her hot spot too..
    I was more trying to figure out a feeding .. more ..less.. temps & her (Henny's) shed .. Spell Just Shed,
    like if I paired her with my Hollow (spider het clown/ Henny- Mojave, .. honestly do not want to make this combo, but saw some sick combos when I looked some up).. so if she going now / or not
    how long till her next possible ovulation?
    should I leave her alone and she absorbs the follicles.. how long till next movement... next spring?.. I do not see any wrapping yet, I feel a lot is going on rn is all lol, l'm just trying to make sure all goes well weather I'm doing anything or just waiting them out .. but possibly if my girls are looking for a mate.. not wrapping yet.. but when they start.. how will I know besides feeling for the follicles when to introduce my male?

sorry for all the questions, I do read, but that is not better than you guys professional experience lol

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    When they seek the cool side and or bowl wrap as they start to build up follicles you are looking at a 4 to 8 months process.

how long till her next possible ovulation?
    Ovulation date is the million dollar question, there is no timeline for that, some animals will ovulate (become gravid) after 2 pairings some may after 8 and some won't go but instead retain sperm and ovulate months after your pairing are done.

The only true timeline is from ovulation, once a female ovulates you are looking at 45 days before eggs (pre-lay shed happening 2 weeks after the ovy)

I leave her alone and she absorbs the follicles.. how long till next movement... next spring?
    Another million dollar question, some female will go the following season and some won't.

When breeding there are thing you can predict and assume based on behavior and looks and some that you can't and that's part of the fun.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-21-2018),MissterDog (11-21-2018),Ronniex2 (11-21-2018)

Thanks
    Ok ..and thanks for the detailed response .. i truly appricate it. i am excited and all this extra time is just what I am hoping for .. I was thinking like weeks but in a few months I will keep looking info up now that I'm sure what she is doing I feel better.. I'm like it is not that hot lol.... ill be honest I had hoped for this behavior some time next year but like you said … million dollar question, so besides waiting for the bowl wrapping, and weather I introduce a male or not .. she just needs to eat and get fat rn?

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Ronniex2; 11-21-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Cool Seeking?

Yep as long as she is eating feed her, usually around this time I feed a little extra simply because they do eventually go off feeds eventually and for quite some time (some females will stop eating when you pair some will when they ovulate).

Generally they will be more food aggressive as they build up.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (11-21-2018)