Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,440

3 members and 3,437 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Heat tape

Thanks

Heat tape

I've seen stuff about heat tape. I looked it up but there are several different kinds for different things. I think I need a little something more for my big guy in the 40 gallon. SOO, what is heat tape used for in the Vivs and what kind?

Tia

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks
    If you have a UTH on a thermostat you won't really see much difference by upgrading to heat tape, but that's just my opinion.

Heat tape is essentially just another type of UTH that can be cut to length depending on your application. It could be used in a viv, and I've used it for custom enclosures that I've built from bookshelves and such over the years. But more often than not I've seen it used for belly or back heat in rack systems. Mostly because, in that type of setup, heat tape is way more economical than standard UTH's like zoo med heat pads.

I use THG heat tape that I purchase from pangeareptile.com. The prices are reasonable and it's good stuff.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RXLReptiles For This Useful Post:

HeathBish (11-16-2018)

Thanks

Re: Heat tape

Good to know. Thanks. The ambient temp isnt as high as it should be on the hot side and cool side. It's a big Viv so Im looking into how to fix this problem.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HeathBish View Post
    Good to know. Thanks. The ambient temp isnt as high as it should be on the hot side and cool side. It's a big Viv so Im looking into how to fix this problem.

Sent using Tapatalk
    For ambient temp you could use either a ceramic heat emitter or a radiant heat panel. Either still needs to be controlled by another thermostat, or at least a dimmer with regular temperature checks as temps fluctuate in the room.

The other options are insulating the tank with foam board or heating that one room.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RXLReptiles For This Useful Post:

HeathBish (11-16-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RXLReptiles View Post
    For ambient temp you could use either a ceramic heat emitter or a radiant heat panel. Either still needs to be controlled by another thermostat, or at least a dimmer with regular temperature checks as temps fluctuate in the room.

The other options are insulating the tank with foam board or heating that one room.

I have a CHE and UTH. Everything I was taught he has. I'm just struggling with keeping the ambient where it should be. My little one is in a 20 gallon right now and hers is perfect always. I think its because his is bigger. I don't know. Poor guy lol.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RXLReptiles View Post

So how would I do that? Insulate it I mean. Sorry I'm clueless. I've never heard or read about that. Thanks

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I would use 1/2" foam board from the craft store, a 3'x4' board is usually like $5-10, cut it to fit on the back and sides of your tank and tape it in place on the outside of the tank.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RXLReptiles For This Useful Post:

HeathBish (11-16-2018)