Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,243

0 members and 3,243 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is black(or other color) frozen rat normal?

Hello guys! I bought some frozen rats online. Most of them are white, but a few weaned size rats are black. May I know is it normal and are the black ones also captive bred? The smaller size rats or mouses I bought were always pure white. I also saw some rats with different color like brown head or something from reptile expo in the past, are all these normal? Why they have different colors? And where do you guys buy frozen rats online? May I have some recommendation or warning? Thank you so much!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    I used to have black rats that were pets, many years before I got into snakes, & yes, I've bred not only "hooded" but all black or gray rats too. Domestic rats
    come in other colors besides white...they can also be a pretty beige/tan or agouti (a mix of brown & gray with black guard hairs). I actually* prefer rats that
    aren't white (in terms of appearance or if I wanted a pet) but I've never had snakes that cared one bit. I've heard some BPs can be picky about this...most
    likely it has to do with being fed live, getting bit by a rat & then associating the color of the rat that it got bit by as "undesirable" & something to fear. (Thank
    you for not feeding live! Rats are intelligent animals, they can & do make excellent trainable pets.) So don't worry about the color of your feeder rats.

*I prefer more natural-looking rodents...white is not natural in wild rats as you realized, but all the coat variations in rats have been around for many years.
    There are also Rex rats (curly coated) & Dumbo rats (ears set lower on the head like an elephant). I also breed domestic mice, again, in ALL colors including black, & have for decades. I keep very few white mice, the others are usually healthier & more vigorous.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-12-2018 at 12:13 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

alice40604345 (11-12-2018),Jakethesnake69 (11-12-2018)

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Frozen rats are available through a few places. I am aware of Perfect Prey, Big Cheese and ColdBlooded Cafe. Big cheese is my go too. $29 flat rate on shipping and I have been happy with them. Never bought from Perfect Prey however they are respected on this site. Cold Blooded looks great, good prices but only ship on Monday for my local. My timing and needs have not lined up.
    I know there are several more and some one will chime in, I’m sure.
    Rat color has not been an issue however I have switched over to F/T as soon as I could with my snakes and when live I had a few color variations that really did not become an issue. Usually swallowed down in minutes of offering.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakethesnake69 For This Useful Post:

alice40604345 (11-12-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rat have different coat colors http://www.afrma.org/fancyrm.htm just like with snakes those paint job are genetic so it all depends on the breeding stocks the breeder has.

For example I produce Albino, self beige, self agouti, self black , beige hooded, black hooded, agouti hooded, and many comes in dumbo version as well.

In other words a rat is a rat is a rat regardless of the color.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

alice40604345 (11-12-2018),Bogertophis (11-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Re: Is black(or other color) frozen rat normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    ...In other words a rat is a rat is a rat regardless of the color.
    I think the OP was mostly worried that black rats were wild caught & potentially contaminated & carrying unknown parasites & pathogens, which is a valid concern.
    I really can't imagine anyone running a business of supplying feeders by catching wild rats...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

alice40604345 (11-12-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethesnake69 View Post
    Frozen rats are available through a few places. I am aware of Perfect Prey, Big Cheese and ColdBlooded Cafe. Big cheese is my go too. $29 flat rate on shipping and I have been happy with them. Never bought from Perfect Prey however they are respected on this site. Cold Blooded looks great, good prices but only ship on Monday for my local. My timing and needs have not lined up.
    Rat color has not been an issue however I have switched over to F/T as soon as I could with my snakes and when live I had a few color variations that really did not become an issue. Usually swallowed down in minutes of offering.
    I second Perfect Prey being a good place to purchase from. I can't vouch for their rats, but the mice I got from them were all uniform in size and didn't have any feces stuck on them. (I don't know if that is a normal occurrence, but the mice I bought from a reptile expo had feces and pee frozen onto them.) They also have really good customer service and helped me when Fedex caused a shipping error.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I used to have black rats that were pets, many years before I got into snakes, & yes, I've bred not only "hooded" but all black or gray rats too. Domestic rats
    come in other colors besides white...they can also be a pretty beige/tan or agouti (a mix of brown & gray with black guard hairs). I actually* prefer rats that
    aren't white (in terms of appearance or if I wanted a pet) but I've never had snakes that cared one bit. I've heard some BPs can be picky about this...most
    likely it has to do with being fed live, getting bit by a rat & then associating the color of the rat that it got bit by as "undesirable" & something to fear. (Thank
    you for not feeding live! Rats are intelligent animals, they can & do make excellent trainable pets.) So don't worry about the color of your feeder rats.

*I prefer more natural-looking rodents...white is not natural in wild rats as you realized, but all the coat variations in rats have been around for many years.
    There are also Rex rats (curly coated) & Dumbo rats (ears set lower on the head like an elephant). I also breed domestic mice, again, in ALL colors including black, & have for decades. I keep very few white mice, the others are usually healthier & more vigorous.

Thank you so much lol!!! I was so surprised when I find a pure black one inside the white rats bag lol!!! It seems so interesting to me that there are actually so many colors!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethesnake69 View Post
    Thank you so much! I'll check all their websites!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Rat have different coat colors http://www.afrma.org/fancyrm.htm just like with snakes those paint job are genetic so it all depends on the breeding stocks the breeder has.

For example I produce Albino, self beige, self agouti, self black , beige hooded, black hooded, agouti hooded, and many comes in dumbo version as well.

In other words a rat is a rat is a rat regardless of the color.
    Wow that's so interesting!! I'm looking at the pictures of this website haha! I never know that there're so many kinds of rats

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I think the OP was mostly worried that black rats were wild caught & potentially contaminated & carrying unknown parasites & pathogens, which is a valid concern.
    I really can't imagine anyone running a business of supplying feeders by catching wild rats...
    Hahahaha yeah!!! I know it's almost impossible that people will catch a wild one to sell but ... I know it seems stupid but ...I just can't stop worrying what if it is....and thinking why there's a pure black one while everyone else is white lol? Then I told myself I have to ask it here to eliminate my concern before I fed this black one! And I today I find that I almost run out of rats of this size except for the black one and probably two others lol!
    Last edited by alice40604345; 11-12-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast