Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,368

0 members and 2,368 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Could my new snake have just one mite?

Snake info:
    Male
    Butter Enchi Pastel
    607 Grams

QT Setup info:
    Hefty 34 Qt tub in a otherwise empty rack
    Paper Towel Substrate
    Plastic Water Bowl

So, against my better judgement, I decided to purchase a python from a private collection off CL. I'm somewhat regretting that decision as I type this because I'm not sure if my new male has mites or not.

When I got him home and reinspected him before putting him into quarantine, I've spotted what appears to be a single mite in one of his eyes, so I immediately got him in a warm bath to check for more. After 15 minutes I pulled him out and dried him off with paper towels and checked both them and the water for mites. NOTHING. But there is still a tiny shiny black dot just visible under the scales near the top of his eye, and the surrounding area of skin/scales looks mildly irritated. Nothing around his mouth, pits, chin flaps or cloaca. Just the one in his eye.

I've since treated him with Natural Chemistry Reptile Spray (which doesn't allow me to treat his eye, go figure), and unfortunately I'm out of PAM currently, but the QT tank was treated 2-3 weeks ago in preparation for a new snake. (Another deal fell through before he came along).

So I guess my question really is that simple. Can a snake have just one mite? Or am I missing something really simple here that could be the culprit?

I've done some googling and I can't seem to find any other possible solution.

I will try to post a pic as soon as he calms down, all the stress and attention has him riled up and I can't get him to stay still long enough to let me get one in focus.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts
    One mite? It's pretty unlikely...

If you're that lucky, you should go get a lottery ticket too...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-12-2018 at 01:27 AM.

Thanks
    I know, right?

I've never seen anything like it, but I'm praying I am just that lucky.

BTW, I'm technically new to the forum, I've been lurking around here for a long, long time, but finally got around to joining.

I'm glad I joined when I did, cause this has got me stumped and I wouldn't have wanted to wait around for answers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Technically it’s possible, it’s gotta start somewhere. Maybe you got really lucky? I hope so...
    Last edited by Sonny1318; 11-12-2018 at 01:53 AM.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Thanks
    Welcome...we're glad you're no longer just lurking.

Anyway, it sounds like you're doing the right things, hopefully the Nat. Chem. spray will do the job but stay vigilant! Fingers crossed for ya!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

RXLReptiles (11-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks y'all.

I'm gonna keep an eye on his eye for the next few days. If I don't see any more signs of mites, but his eye doesn't clear up, do you think it would warrant a vet visit just in case?

I'm not to far from one and I have no qualms with taking him if necessary, but I don't wanna burn the money if all the vet is gonna say is to just keep doing what I'm doing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RXLReptiles For This Useful Post:

rvcasa (11-14-2018)

Thanks
    Eyes are delicate & can get infected easily. I think having a vet remove the mite would be a good idea...from your description it sounds like it's really entrenched?

The only other thing I can think of is a very carefully-directed application of mildly-soapy* water. (*Ivory or puppy-shampoo): you mentioned bathing him but was
    that just in plain water? FYI, bathing a snake in soapy water* (luke-warm of course) will get rid of most mites on the snake's body by drowning, if you patiently
    stay with the snake for 20-30 minutes. (shallow water, the snake shouldn't have to be swimming to stay above water!) The soap breaks the surface tension in
    the water so the mites drown. Now IF that mite by his eye is truly the only one, soapy water shouldn't hurt his eye (it's covered by a scale) & you might try using
    maybe a Q-tip saturated with soapy water directly on that mite...see if you can make it expire or let go? I'd personally try this before running to the vet, & then,
    it wouldn't hurt to give the whole snake a bath too, just in case. But do the eye separately, you must not immerse their head nor allow them to drink soapy water
    ...do not leave him alone. This is the low-tech way to get rid of many or most mites, but they can still hide on the head, so it's not 100%. It's a good emergency
    treatment: say if you got a snake that had lots of mites & no chemicals to treat immediately, you'd want to get rid of as many as you could to minimize blood loss-
    mites can and do kill snakes, even though it doesn't seem possible because they're so tiny. (don't under-estimate mites)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

RXLReptiles (11-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks, that's not a bad idea.

It does seem like the one mite is in there pretty good, and the first soak I did was just plain warm water. I've always just used a warm water bath to do a mite check, as between that and a paper towel wipe it gives me a pretty good idea of whether I actually have a problem and need to treat further/more heavily.

I'll do a warm water and mild soap application first thing in the morning, followed by a bath.

I'm not one to underestimate the dangers of parasites, they can be a horrible affliction to a ball, and a pain to deal with for us to boot.

I've just never been in a situation where a snake might only have one mite. I'll either see none or many when I check them out, so it's terrifying that one tiny little mite, that I almost missed before placing him in his tub and leaving him to relax for a day or two after moving, could be the start of an infestation. It just goes to show that nothing is as cut and dry as you could hope it to be.

I also had another thought, he was kept on reptichip in his last enclosure, is it possible that its a tiny piece of coconut fiber/dust that got stuck there when he shed last? Possibly while he was still rubbing his head but after the eye cap shed?

Thanks
    I find an inexpensive jewelers loupe invaluable for determining just what I'm looking at. Yes, it could be something besides a mite, for sure...get a magnifier!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

RXLReptiles (11-13-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is it possible yes however 1 tend to turn into hundreds in very little time, just like there can be one adult and and eggs all over.

The best thing EVERY TIME you get a snake is to pre-treat the enclosure with Provent a mite, which take care of ALL STAGES of mites (eggs to adult) which other product or soapy water do not.

Now since you have identify that a mite was present and since you did not pre-treat upon arrival, I would highly recommend that you treat your entire collection as well to be safe.
    Deborah Stewart

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (11-14-2018),RXLReptiles (11-13-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast