Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,368

3 members and 3,365 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Rack Temp Question

After letting my new rack warm up over night, I’m getting a reading of 75 degrees on the cold end. It’s a C serpent PVC rack that is 5 high with CB70 tubs. The rack has 3 inch heat tape in it that is recessed on each layer. I have 12 feet of 12 in heat tape that I can replace the 3 inch with. Obviously it won’t be recessed but I can tape it down. Is my thinking correct that this would be a better choice? I was thinking I could use the 12 inch in sections that are about half the length of the tub and it would help raise the temp. Any thoughts or better ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    What is your thermostat set at? Does the heat cut off at some point? Where are you temping inside the tubs or on the rack? I would temp multiple areas of the tape with a temp gun to see if you got faulty tape first.

Check your thermostats wattage as well and make sure it and the heat tape work nicely.

Then come back to us with slightly more details.

Thanks

Re: Rack Temp Question

Temp is set at 92. It reaches that point without any issue. Thermostat is a Herpstat intro. I just checked it with the temp gun and it’s heating up properly. The probe is on the second layer from the top on the tape itself.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why would you make changed when temps are where they should be already?

If you change your heat tape which is necessary you will have the following issues, friction from the tubs sliding over the heat tape which means increase risk of damage which means increase risks of fire hazard if damage occurs.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Your issues though is the cold side not being in the 80s?

If I understood correctly then you would probably have to use more heat tape on the other side too like you suggested but set on a thermostat for 81-82F. Is the room they are in occupied? Do they take a separate area of the house if so a cheaper solution if you do not have a two slotted thermostat would probably be to buy a little room heater from a store and use it to heat the room.

You could replace the tape that came with it but with all I have heard about heat tape and my limited experience(Just got my first rack) I worry about the potential safety/fire hazard non-recessed tap could have if your resting the bins on them it would leave patches of tape not able to properly have heat escape.

Thanks
    The 3 in. heat tape in a Cserpents rack is just there to make a hot spot, the other side of the tubs will be close to or at room temperature.

You could raise room temp a couple degrees to get the cool side of the tubs to where you want them to be.

Your idea to replace the 3 in. with 12 in. heat tape could work, but I'd be worried about the tubs rubbing through the heat tape and causing a fire. Also I wouldn't cover half the tubs depth with it, no more than 1/3 the total tub length should be at hot spot temp, there needs to be 2/3 unheated/heated less to allow for a gradient of some type.

Does your rack have the open sides or enclosed sides? If it's open sided, just insulating the sides could get your cool side up to temp as well.

Thanks

Re: Rack Temp Question

So after experimenting with the 12 inch tape last night, I’m getting a temp gradient of 80-86 in the tubs. I’m thinking about having the shelves routed so that the tape will be recessed for safety. The rack is in my bedroom which is usually around 73 degrees. The 3 inch tape would have never been able to reach the temps they needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk