Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,353

1 members and 3,352 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

My BP Missed, then refused

So on Tuesday I went to feed my snakes. My 3 month old BP was in her hide when I lowered the frozen thawed small rat into the tub. Before I knew it her hide went flying up and she missed the rat. When I looked into the hide I could see that she had some of the Reptile Prime substrate stuck in the front of her mouth. I gave her some time to clear it out (which she did) and attempted to feed her again. I tried several times and each time she seemed extremely interested but would not take.

Do you think she didn't take because it was a stressful or maybe it hurt her? She has never missed a meal she is a veracious eater. I am hoping this does not impact future feedings.

I am going to wait until next week to try again or should I try sooner?

Thanks for reading!
    ssmith73

1.0 Albino Enchi
    1.0 Butter/Mojave BEL

0.1 Pied
    0.1 Butter/Ghost
    0.1 Albino
    0.1 Pastel

1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Merauke BTS

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts
    Best to make sure there is nothing stuck in her mouth. I think when anything like this happens it temporarily subverts their confidence. It makes sense, right?
    If you've tried now & she refused, you'll probably have better luck by waiting a week. Maybe it did "hurt" somehow, but sounds like she is mostly stressed.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-08-2018),Zincubus (11-10-2018)

Thanks

Re: My BP Missed, then refused

I no longer see the substrate in her mouth. She dislodged it pretty much right away. I have not tried to feed her again since. I was just going to wait until next Tuesday. She is only 3 moths though and I'm not sure I want her to miss a meal but she is already a little over 300 grams so I think she will be fine.

Thanks for your reply!
    ssmith73

1.0 Albino Enchi
    1.0 Butter/Mojave BEL

0.1 Pied
    0.1 Butter/Ghost
    0.1 Albino
    0.1 Pastel

1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Merauke BTS

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ssmith73 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-08-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Best to make sure there is nothing stuck in her mouth. I think when anything like this happens it temporarily subverts their confidence. It makes sense, right?
    If you've tried now & she refused, you'll probably have better luck by waiting a week. Maybe it did "hurt" somehow, but sounds like she is mostly stressed.
    ^^^agreed 100%^^^

I'dsimply wait a week and try again. If she's never missed a meal she'll be perfectly fine going a week without.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (11-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ssmith73 View Post
    So on Tuesday I went to feed my snakes. My 3 month old BP was in her hide when I lowered the frozen thawed small rat into the tub. Before I knew it her hide went flying up and she missed the rat. When I looked into the hide I could see that she had some of the Reptile Prime substrate stuck in the front of her mouth. I gave her some time to clear it out (which she did) and attempted to feed her again. I tried several times and each time she seemed extremely interested but would not take.

Do you think she didn't take because it was a stressful or maybe it hurt her? She has never missed a meal she is a veracious eater. I am hoping this does not impact future feedings.

I am going to wait until next week to try again or should I try sooner?

Thanks for reading!
    I put pieces of card / cardboard over the top of the substrate to minimise ingestion of bark ...

Occasionally I still notice a little piece or two of bark going in the mouth with the mouse /rat ... I just pinch it out with long tweezers or tongs . Rarely fails tbh .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I put pieces of card / cardboard over the top of the substrate to minimise ingestion of bark ...

Occasionally I still notice a little piece or two of bark going in the mouth with the mouse /rat ... I just pinch it out with long tweezers or tongs . Rarely fails tbh .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Exactly what I do, & fortunately I only have one snake that objects to being watched while he eats. (my shy Korean rat snake)