Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,130

3 members and 3,127 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: How did your snake get mites?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • The snake already had mites when you got it (i.e. from the store, breeder, etc.)

17 89.47%
  • From adding something with mites to the enclosure (i.e. bedding, etc.)

1 5.26%
  • From taking your snake outdoors

0 0%
  • From handing another snake or reptile with mites, and then handing your own snake

3 15.79%
  • From feeders

0 0%
  • Other

1 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    My BP (who was also my first snake) came to me with mites. Of course, at the time I didn’t know much about snake mites at all and didn’t even realize he had them until several weeks after I brought him home. That said, I’m kind of glad I experienced them with my first reptile as there was no way for them to spread and it has made me super diligent about preventative treatment with new additions.
    1.1 ball pythons, 2.0 BCIs, 1.0 western hognose, 1.0 honduran milk, 1.0 corn snake, 1.0 kenyan sand boa, 1.0 pueblan milk, 1.0 MBK, 1.0 checkered garter, 1.0 eastern garter, 1.0 coast garter, 1.0 plains garter

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KKM For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-12-2018),Ronniex2 (11-13-2018),zhang317 (11-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,839 Times in 11,851 Posts

Re: How did your snake get mites?

Quote Originally Posted by KKM View Post
    ... I’m kind of glad I experienced them with my first reptile as there was no way for them to spread and it has made me super diligent about preventative treatment with new additions.
    That IS lucky...it's miserable to have them spread to a whole collection of snakes before you realize they're there at all. When I've dealt with mites in the past, I did have
    quite a few snakes, but all cages were spread out in my house & the mites never spread beyond the one new snake they came with.

Thanks
    So far I've had them twice, both times they came on new bps and thankfully both times I caught them before they spread to other tanks. I got rid of them by liberal use of reptile mite spray and a mostly bare and sanitized tank for the afflicted snake. Both times the mites were gone within a month.

Thanks
    Got it three times as I remember. First two times from a snake that came with them, thankfully was in Qt so was easy to get rid of.
    The second time I took some of my collection with a local herp group for a event that we were doing. Bearing in mind, I had been doing this for ~3 years with no issues, but one of the people (the people who run it no less) had a Sudanese plated lizard they brought along that was absolutely riddled with mites. I found the mites after we were handling the plated, then my burm.
    Found mites on her a couple of weeks later, and infested almost all my collection

Took around four months to get rid of entirely but they've been mite free for a good three months now and I hope they do not come back again.
    Snakes:
    ~Ball Pythons: 1.0 Spider (Corkii) --- 1.0 Mojave (Meeko) --- 1.0 Bumblebelly (Pringle) --- 0.1 Normal (Fraggles) --- 0.1 Lesser Enchi (Khaleesi) --- 1.0 Pied (Piper)
    ~Cornsnakes: 0.1 Tessera.het Amel Motley (Twiglet) --- 1.0 Amel (Wotsit)
    ~Hognose: 0.0.1 Normal.66%hetAlbino (Waffle)
    ~Boa: 0.1 Normal (Medusa)
    ~Spotted Python 0.1 (Unnamed)
    ~Bredlis Python 0.1 (Unnamed)
    ~Burmese Python: 0.1 Granite (Skittles)
    Lizards:
    ~Crested Geckos: 1.0 Buckskin Dalmatian (Rex) --- 0.1 Orange Dalmatian (Apollo) --- 1.1 Harlequin (Cosmos / Nova) --- 1.0 Extreme Harlequin (Dino) --- 1.1 Halloween Partial Pin (Pumpkin/Unnamed) --- 1.0 Red and Cream partial pin (unnamed)
    ~Leopard Gecko: 1.0 Hypo (Dave)
    ~Bearded Dragon: 0.1 Red Leatherback.hetTrans
    ~Ackie Monitor: 0.0.1 (Unnamed)
    ~Jewled Lecarta 1.0 (Wizard)
    Others:
    Tortoise, Dog, Tarantulas, Parrot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123