Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,272

1 members and 3,271 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

View Poll Results: How did your snake get mites?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • The snake already had mites when you got it (i.e. from the store, breeder, etc.)

17 89.47%
  • From adding something with mites to the enclosure (i.e. bedding, etc.)

1 5.26%
  • From taking your snake outdoors

0 0%
  • From handing another snake or reptile with mites, and then handing your own snake

3 15.79%
  • From feeders

0 0%
  • Other

1 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

How did your snake get mites?

I have been reading numerous old threads in order to research the prevention of snake mites, especially where they come from. While most threads indicate that mites usually come from a living host (i.e. a snake or other reptile), I did find numerous threads that claimed that mites can spread in other ways, such as from store-bought bedding. I hope to hear from your experiences on how and where your snake got mite, and the likelihood of getting mites from the different possible ways. Thanks!

My snake does not have mites, but as you can tell, I am very paranoid about getting them

Tim
    1.0 Pastel Piebald - Francis

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zhang317 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Re: How did your snake get mites?

I’ve had the displeasure of bringing in mites from a new purchase many years ago. It tends to makes you even more vigilant after fighting the little demon-spawn. When I had a large collection (42), in addition to quarantining all new purchases, I also pre-treated my cages with a product similar to Provent-a-mite. I did not pre-treat any of this years’ new additions, but did go over them very carefully at purchase and again at home. It’s also handy to rub a damp paper towel over their skin as you will likely dislodge at least a few and they are easy to spot against a white background. That’s also one reason many keepers put new purchases on paper towels or unprinted newspaper. The mites show up better and these substrates are easier to clean versus natural bedding.

It also helps to know your seller. With the exception of Artemis, who I bought off CL, I’ve done business with the other breeders off and on for years. I know they are diligent in caring for their collections, so I have a bit more confidence that I won’t bring anything home. That said, snakes from them are treated exactly the same for pre-checks and quarantine as for anyone else. It doesn’t hurt to be cautious.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-09-2018),Sonny1318 (11-09-2018),SVT Wylde (11-09-2018),zhang317 (11-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    As the old saying goes an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Treat everything that isn't yours as if it was infested.

I've had mites show up twice. Both times it was new purchases that were still in quarantine. Keeping them on paper towels while in quarantine helps to catch the outbreak early.

If I go to a show with animals, they will get wiped down with reptile spray after the show before they go back into their enclosure. Clothes come of and go directly into the washer, then I shower.

I help tend to another keepers collection too. She has had mites 3 maybe 4 times. First time I found them on a snake was right after I started helping her. They were on a snake she had purchased several months prior. She didn't know they were mites and just thought they were bugs. The infestation was pretty bad. That snake got isolated and treated but unfortunately some mites or eggs managed to get into another enclosure that was nearby. So a few weeks later that snake had to get isolated and treated too.

Recently the same person acquired a retic and a month later a burm. Despite my recommendations neither was quarantined. The retic was fine up until the burn showed up. The previous owner of the burm dropped it off and apparently had wiped most of the visible mites off before delivering. While dropping it off the previous owner of the burm also handled the reitc and transferred mites to that snake. Anything I come home from that other keepers house, I don't touch any of my snakes or rodents. Clothes immediately got into the wash and I shower.

I've seen breeders wiping down snakes before a show. I've gotten to the point that I trust nobody.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-09-2018),Dianne (11-09-2018),JRLongton (11-09-2018),Ronniex2 (11-13-2018),zhang317 (11-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    I've only had 2 snakes with mites ever, both were new snakes many years back; one was from a pet store (I was new to snakes) & the other was shipped to me
    (not seen in person prior to sale). I guess it's possible that mites could hitchhike in substrates bought in pet stores, but mostly I think people are in denial when
    they claim that...you feel silly when you failed to see mites on a snake you just bought in person (hey, they're HARD to see!), or you trusted the seller more than
    you should have. Snake mites are not native in the wild* (thankfully, though I wonder if snakes released in places like Florida could alter that eventually?) but there
    ARE other things (pathogens & parasites) they can pick up if you put them on the ground (which I don't). If I take any snakes outdoors, they are on me.

*not in the U.S. anyway
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-09-2018 at 12:02 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-09-2018),Sonny1318 (11-09-2018),zhang317 (11-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Another thought, lots of folks will go to a show and handle a number of different animals just for the opportunity to do so. It is a great way to get a feel for an animal you may be interested in, but also a way to pick up mites or transfer them between vendors. Most vendors in my area require you to use an alcohol gel before, and sometimes after, handling. I imagine it helps, but it is by no means foolproof. For myself, I don’t handle anything I’m not seriously considering buying. And after reading 67temp’s post, I think I’ll adopt the practice of dumping everything in the wash when I get home and grabbing a shower.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-09-2018),zhang317 (11-09-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I mostly stay out of pet stores, since I consider them germ factories. My dogs don't need that, my snakes don't need that, ditto rats and birds. I buy equipment and supplies like substrate on-line. That way it hasn't been sitting for weeks on the shelf underneath some pet store snake bin with a bunch of stressed hatchlings. Don't know how well a mite can grip onto the plastic packaging.

Never had a mite infestation, and I hope I never get one!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

zhang317 (11-09-2018)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 840 Posts
    I have never had to worry about any of my animals at home having mites.

But at my box store job, we have had animals from the breeder show up with mites. =_=;

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Many moons ago, at a local pet shop that had a nice reptile room. I seen a really cool looking BCI, and got a bonus mite collection. Back then I used no pest strips, but not sure how safe that is any more. Mites suck big time! Best of luck getting rid of them.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    ...Don't know how well a mite can grip onto the plastic packaging....
    I don't think they can, but the problem is that bags of substrate usually have air-holes in them, so there actually IS a way in.

I'll add that the few times that I dealt with mites, I was lucky because each time they remained only on the original snake. I had many
    more they COULD have gotten into but didn't...there's something to be said for having your cages spread thru-out your house, instead
    of all together in one room or worse yet, touching each other.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-09-2018 at 06:39 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

distaff (11-10-2018),zhang317 (11-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    From me
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-09-2018),zhang317 (11-10-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast