Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,418

2 members and 3,416 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New ball python adoption.

Just adopted this ball python today. Still got pieces of shed on her and pieces of shed all thro the tub. Tub came with her with a small heat tape strip which i think is a little small considering the size of her lol. Got her in quarantine right now in the next room. Had to hook space heater up because that room is 68 lol. Anyways heres a pic of her. Cant see the left over shed and stuff from this pic. Person estimated her at about 2 years old.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Thanks
    There's no hides or anything?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

New ball python adoption.

She deserves some TLC ..

I'd get the temps correct and add couple of hides , some branches and fake foliage.. maybe some Orchid bark /Reptibark substrate to retain some much needed humidity .. then let her settle in , undisturbed for a week or so ..

Is that sand in the bottom ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 11-03-2018 at 09:18 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-03-2018)

Thanks

Re: New ball python adoption.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    She deserves some TLC ..

I'd get the temps correct and add couple of hides , some branches and fake foliage.. maybe some Orchid bark /Reptibark substrate to retain some much needed humidity .. then let her settle in , undisturbed for a week or so ..

Is that sand in the bottom ??

To be honest i have no idea. this is what she came with. no thermostat to control heat tape no thermometors. nothing. I have eco earth that i use for my other ball but since shes in quarantine im thinking of putting paper towels in to track bathroom activity. Shes in a sterlite tub. i did put a hide in there an extra one i had laying around. Also the person i got her off said shes about 1700 grams. Im trying not to bug her to much. I will weigh her when i get rid of the substrate shes in now. She had enough stress yesterday from the move and stuff didnt want to over due it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dylan_ For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-03-2018),Zincubus (11-03-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan_ View Post
    To be honest i have no idea. this is what she came with. no thermostat to control heat tape no thermometors. nothing. I have eco earth that i use for my other ball but since shes in quarantine im thinking of putting paper towels in to track bathroom activity. Shes in a sterlite tub. i did put a hide in there an extra one i had laying around. Also the person i got her off said shes about 1700 grams. Im trying not to bug her to much. I will weigh her when i get rid of the substrate shes in now. She had enough stress yesterday from the move and stuff didnt want to over due it.

I have no idea what substrate it is. Its not sand i would have emotied that out. I think its mulch or something like that.

Thanks

Dont think she can fit in her hide so i got to find something with a bigger opening i went in to check on her today and she was laying ontop of the hide i have the hide where the heat tape is speaking of which think im going to go get a heating pad seeing as this strip is very small whats the most a pad can cover?

Thanks

Dont think she can fit in her hide so i got to find something with a bigger opening i went in to check on her today and she was laying ontop of the hide i have the hide where the heat tape is speaking of which think im going to go get a heating pad seeing as this strip is very small whats the most a pad can cover?

I've read 1/3 to 45% but no more than half the base

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-03-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I've read 1/3 to 45% but no more than half the base

Okay thanks. Just this heat tape that came with her seems to small for her lol. So thinking of going to grab a large heat pad for her so she has a good amount of heat instead of a tiny little space.

Thanks

You can buy a decent sized heat mat and just slide under as much as you can without going over half way ..

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

...whats the most a pad can cover? ....
    Actually, I'd normally agree that 1/3 to 1/2 the cage floor is safest, but when I had a large BCI, I used the wide (11") Flexwatt under 2/3 of her tank (yes glass tank):
    First off the 11" heat strip was about half as wide as the tank, so I ran it down the center, from one end of the tank, leaving the other 1/3 of the floor unheated...but
    OVER that heated 2/3, I also custom-made a hide (waterproofed wood & tile board top, 5" tall) that fit over the same area, so actually, the top of that hide served as
    additional floor space..."her second story". I did use warming lights over that hide, & she loved basking there, but she also used equally the inside of the hide (with
    maximum warmth) & the unheated end of the enclosure. Goes without saying all heat was regulated, & her tank was insulated so that the UTH didn't HAVE to run so
    hot in the first place (& contrary to what is commonly repeated, UTH does raise the ambient warmth as long as the enclosure itself is insulated in some way). She
    appeared to be comfortable & healthy, & remained so. So don't be afraid to "think outside the box", that's all I'm saying. Formulas for heat strips are just generalized.

BTW, on top of that giant hide, I kept a clean carpet mat (with non-slip backing) so she had good traction. The hides sold for snakes are mostly slippery plastic, so the
    space on top of them is awkward & useless for snakes to crawl on...they slide off.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

distaff (11-12-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast