Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,298

1 members and 3,297 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Exclamation Small Centipedes in BP viv

Hey all, attached is a picture of one of at least 10 small centipedes I have found in my ball Python's enclosure.
    I have not been able to find any info online if these are benificial species, or if they are a hazard to my snakes health.
    Any input? If possible, removal of the current substrate would be a last resort, since I have spent a year creating micro-fauna in this enclosure.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Small Centipedes in BP viv

Low numbers of the bark centipedes like the one pictured pose no danger as they will be feeding on the bioactive critters in your terrarium and will avoid your ball python. No worries.

If you see higher numbers that they grow to a much larger size they can potentially release a toxic nerve gas which if trapped in a pocket or an enclosed space can definitely can harm your snake and could express as 'neurological issues'.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-03-2018),Jasmijn (11-03-2018),Timelugia (11-03-2018)

Thanks
    I don’t know alot about the centipedes pictured , but I would think that if you see centipedes in there that you did not put there yourself, you have to ask yourself what else is in the substrate that you did not put there that maybe you can’t see. And if the centipedes do release a gas that could potentially cause neurological damage i would not keep them in your tank! (To prevent getting your snake sick)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Re: Small Centipedes in BP viv

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    Low numbers of the bark centipedes like the one pictured pose no danger as they will be feeding on the bioactive critters in your terrarium and will avoid your ball python. No worries.

If you see higher numbers that they grow to a much larger size they can potentially release a toxic nerve gas which if trapped in a pocket or an enclosed space can definitely can harm your snake and could express as 'neurological issues'.
    I had NO idea...this is so interesting & part of why I love this forum!