Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,254

0 members and 3,254 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Hissing

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. They certainly get a bit more defensive in shed.

Honestly, just don't even pay it any kind of attention. Snakes hiss at times. I find that with BP's its usually quite the comical attempt at seeming scary. Sometimes its more of a loud exhale then a real hiss with meaning.

I would only pay any attention to it if the snake raises up his head and neck slightly, starting straight at you, with a tight S-curve to the neck. Clearly meaning business. I've seen that with many snakes but only a handful BP's. And usually it was defensive yet bold hatchlings that did this, and they gave that up in no time.

This move and new home is all stressful to your boy. Sure, he has it FAR BETTER now. But its still a change, its still stress. Even though he went to a better home. The older they are, the more time they need to get used to new situations. As is, he wasn't taken care of well. He really needs a TON of downtime. Give him 100% correct husbandry, a LOT of privacy, and then ...time.
    You could tape black construction paper on the back and sides of the tank, it is to exposed, to light. Keep most of the top covered too, and you can keep covering a bit of the front like you do now.

You WILL have to move him sometimes, or perform maintenance. Do it matter of fact. He may protest a bit, don't let it intimidate you. Ignore it, pick him up. Use gentle but deliberate movements. Not darting, hesitant, stabbing towards him movements. Swoop him up, set him back down. Gentle but deliberate.

Every so often one of mine will let out a little hiss. Its more like a "hey now, I was napping" It means nothing. They can have a voice, an opinion. I will respect that and be gentle, but do what I need to do, without hurting them, without scaring them.

You and him will get to know one another. They can live up to 50 years old, you have SO MUCH TIME with him. Some patience now will go a long way

Thank you for saving him!!
    I bought some background for the sides and back but I have it laying under some heavy books to help flatten it a bit before putting it on as it's made of this soft-hard plastic (if that makes sense) and it just wants to keep rolling back up. Just hoping it hangs better after that. Tomorrow will be three days that it's been under there and I was planning to get it up in the morning after the kids go to school.

All of what you said makes sense. Thanks so much! And, I'm happy to have him even if he never grows fond of me. Just knowing he is safe and being cared for is enough for me. I have a feeling he's going to love me though I will definitely be patient.

Sent using Tapatalk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HeathBish For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-01-2018),Craiga 01453 (11-02-2018),zina10 (11-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HeathBish View Post
    I bought some background for the sides and back but I have it laying under some heavy books to help flatten it a bit before putting it on as it's made of this soft-hard plastic (if that makes sense) and it just wants to keep rolling back up. Just hoping it hangs better after that. Tomorrow will be three days that it's been under there and I was planning to get it up in the morning after the kids go to school.

All of what you said makes sense. Thanks so much! And, I'm happy to have him even if he never grows fond of me. Just knowing he is safe and being cared for is enough for me. I have a feeling he's going to love me though I will definitely be patient.

Sent using Tapatalk

You know, even if they do not have the capabilities of feeling emotions such as gratitude and love, just knowing that if they DID, he certainly would be thankful to you, and he would love you for giving him a chance at life and that is awesome!

Its also not that he won't grow fond of you. They just do not feel things such as that.

What they do learn is trust, or a form of that feeling. They learn that you do not present a threat. That you will not eat them. That you will not kill them. They will get comfortable with you. And isn't that really so very cool, from such a primitive animal such as that? For me, this is amazing, and it is enough. And its worth waiting for.

Besides, even knowing that they don't tick like we do, its still fun to pretend they love us, look forward to us. And hey, they humor us when they put up with our handling. I used to have a BP that was so "un" head shy, that I got into the habit of putting a quick kiss on her head whenever I carried her around. She never seemed to mind.

As long as we take good care of them and meet their needs, why not talk to them, hug them, pretend they love us It doesn't hurt anyone, does it
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-02-2018),HeathBish (11-01-2018)

Thanks

You know, even if they do not have the capabilities of feeling emotions such as gratitude and love, just knowing that if they DID, he certainly would be thankful to you, and he would love you for giving him a chance at life and that is awesome!

Its also not that he won't grow fond of you. They just do not feel things such as that.

What they do learn is trust, or a form of that feeling. They learn that you do not present a threat. That you will not eat them. That you will not kill them. They will get comfortable with you. And isn't that really so very cool, from such a primitive animal such as that? For me, this is amazing, and it is enough. And its worth waiting for.

Besides, even knowing that they don't tick like we do, its still fun to pretend they love us, look forward to us. And hey, they humor us when they put up with our handling. I used to have a BP that was so "un" head shy, that I got into the habit of putting a quick kiss on her head whenever I carried her around. She never seemed to mind.

As long as we take good care of them and meet their needs, why not talk to them, hug them, pretend they love us It doesn't hurt anyone, does it
    Great way to put it. Its just to bad you're not around when I'm talking to them because I'm sure you wouldn't be giving me the "omg she's lost it" look like my daughter and hubby.

Sent using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeathBish For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-02-2018),zina10 (11-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Great way to put it. Its just to bad you're not around when I'm talking to them because I'm sure you wouldn't be giving me the "omg she's lost it" look like my daughter and hubby.

Sent using Tapatalk
    I LOVE talking to mine and I like to pretend they agree with me with their expressions and body language, LOL !!! I will tell them how terrible it is that their mess soaked underneath their hide and they had to sit in it. I could swear they look up at me and woefully nod their little heads with sad eyes,

Again, nothing wrong with enjoying your animals and hobby, and a little pretending doesn't hurt anyone. It only hurts if one starts to anthropomorphize and begins to not provide what the animal needs, but what one thinks it should want or need.

So, do all that needs to be done, and then hug, kiss and babytalk away
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-02-2018),Dianne (11-02-2018),HeathBish (11-02-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

I wanted to post yesterday but got busy and forgot. When I changed out his hides I saw signs that he's in shed. That explains the hissing, right?

Sent using Tapatalk
    It definitely could be the reason, or at leaat be contributing to his stress.

In my experience it really depends on the animal when it comes to shed turning them defensive. For example, my Cal King, Django and my hognose, Cosmo are complete jerks in shed (every King I've kept has been though), but sweethearts otherwise. My BP, Tyson, however remains chill as can be even in shed. Yet my old BP was a nightmare in shed.

Just move forward as planned, keeping an eye on humidity and all should be good.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

HeathBish (11-02-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Maybe, maybe not. They certainly get a bit more defensive in shed.

Honestly, just don't even pay it any kind of attention. Snakes hiss at times. I find that with BP's its usually quite the comical attempt at seeming scary. Sometimes its more of a loud exhale then a real hiss with meaning.

I would only pay any attention to it if the snake raises up his head and neck slightly, starting straight at you, with a tight S-curve to the neck. Clearly meaning business. I've seen that with many snakes but only a handful BP's. And usually it was defensive yet bold hatchlings that did this, and they gave that up in no time.

This move and new home is all stressful to your boy. Sure, he has it FAR BETTER now. But its still a change, its still stress. Even though he went to a better home. The older they are, the more time they need to get used to new situations. As is, he wasn't taken care of well. He really needs a TON of downtime. Give him 100% correct husbandry, a LOT of privacy, and then ...time.
    You could tape black construction paper on the back and sides of the tank, it is to exposed, to light. Keep most of the top covered too, and you can keep covering a bit of the front like you do now.

You WILL have to move him sometimes, or perform maintenance. Do it matter of fact. He may protest a bit, don't let it intimidate you. Ignore it, pick him up. Use gentle but deliberate movements. Not darting, hesitant, stabbing towards him movements. Swoop him up, set him back down. Gentle but deliberate.

Every so often one of mine will let out a little hiss. Its more like a "hey now, I was napping" It means nothing. They can have a voice, an opinion. I will respect that and be gentle, but do what I need to do, without hurting them, without scaring them.

You and him will get to know one another. They can live up to 50 years old, you have SO MUCH TIME with him. Some patience now will go a long way

Thank you for saving him!!
    Fantastic reply.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

HeathBish (11-02-2018),zina10 (11-02-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Sent using Tapatalk
    I talk to mine too. And although I know they can't hear me, I do believe it has a calming effect that translates to them as comfort. I talk to them as if they're human adults, and I believe that calm in my voice resonates with them. That calm helps to develop the "trust" that @zina10 was talking about.
    Calm, deliberate movements and demeanor go a long way in earning that mutual trust. I am completely calm and comfortable handling my snakes, and I can see the calm in them as well. However, if somebody else is handling them and they don't have that same calm demeanor I do, I can see the difference in the snake too.

Take your time, and develop a mutual trust. It'll come, but when the time is right. As discussed previously, he needs proper husbandry and time right now. And you've already showed that you understand this and are on board. After he sheds give it a few more weeks and start shirt and sweet handling sessions. It'll come....

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I talk to mine too. And although I know they can't hear me, I do believe it has a calming effect that translates to them as comfort. I talk to them as if they're human adults, and I believe that calm in my voice resonates with them. That calm helps to develop the "trust" that @zina10 was talking about.
    Calm, deliberate movements and demeanor go a long way in earning that mutual trust. I am completely calm and comfortable handling my snakes, and I can see the calm in them as well. However, if somebody else is handling them and they don't have that same calm demeanor I do, I can see the difference in the snake too.

Take your time, and develop a mutual trust. It'll come, but when the time is right. As discussed previously, he needs proper husbandry and time right now. And you've already showed that you understand this and are on board. After he sheds give it a few more weeks and start shirt and sweet handling sessions. It'll come....
    Will do. Thanks again! Do you think I should offer food next week and keep doing so weekly? Or should I skip this week coming up? I don't remember if I said he chose not to eat this past Tuesday.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HeathBish; 11-02-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Will do. Thanks again! Do you think I should offer food next week and keep doing so weekly? Or should I skip this week coming up? I don't remember if I said he chose not to eat this past Tuesday.

Sent using Tapatalk
    That's completely up to you. It can't hurt. He may eat, he may not. Some eat in shed, some do not. Worst case scenario if you offer, it's a waste of a prey item.

I personally offer ONCE to each new snake whenever the first shed cycle overlaps a feed day. IF the snake eats, I continue to offer when that snake is in shed. IF the snake refuses, I don't offer again while that snake is in shed. It certainly won't hurt them to go an additional week without eating.

Of my current 4 snakes only my King eats while in shed.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    That's completely up to you. It can't hurt. He may eat, he may not. Some eat in shed, some do not. Worst case scenario if you offer, it's a waste of a prey item.

I personally offer ONCE to each new snake whenever the first shed cycle overlaps a feed day. IF the snake eats, I continue to offer when that snake is in shed. IF the snake refuses, I don't offer again while that snake is in shed. It certainly won't hurt them to go an additional week without eating.

Of my current 4 snakes only my King eats while in shed.
    That sounds sensible. I like it. He seemed interested and laid on it and smelled its entire body but then left. So I left it for a half hour and then took it out. He used to live so it may take some coaxing. I guess we will see what he's up to on Tuesday. If he's out and about and shed then I'll try. If not I'll skip it for week.

Sent using Tapatalk

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeathBish For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-02-2018),zina10 (11-02-2018)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast