Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,248

0 members and 3,248 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Hissing

Quote Originally Posted by HeathBish View Post
    Cool. They were just delivered. I'll rinse them and let them warm up for a bit then switch them out. Thanks

Sent using Tapatalk
    Sounds good! After that he'll be good to go!!

Are you following proper quarantine practices to protect your other snake?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-31-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Sounds good! After that he'll be good to go!!

Are you following proper quarantine practices to protect your other snake?
    I'm not sure what those are and I'm no Dr bt I work in the medical field. My daughter and I are the only ones who handle them. I gave her the "leave Slitherz alone for a week, then we will feed him, and still leave alone for at least another week so I could see where he is", speech. We both got our fill for 10 mins when we brought him home. I told her until we know he's healthy not to go near Luna until she's changed her clothes and washed her hands well. They're in separate rooms. I figure if he has mites they could transfer on clothes. That's all I really have though. I probably should have asked y'all. Did I mess up?

Sent using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks

I'm not sure what those are and I'm no Dr bt I work in the medical field. My daughter and I are the only ones who handle them. I gave her the "leave Slitherz alone for a week, then we will feed him, and still leave alone for at least another week so I could see where he is", speech. We both got our fill for 10 mins when we brought him home. I told her until we know he's healthy not to go near Luna until she's changed her clothes and washed her hands well. They're in separate rooms. I figure if he has mites they could transfer on clothes. That's all I really have though. I probably should have asked y'all. Did I mess up?

Sent using Tapatalk
    Sounds to me like you're doing really well. You're using common sense and safe practices without even knowing about quarantine for new animals!!

You are basically already doing everything you should be.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...antine-process

This link should help answer any questions you may have, but you're off to a great start!! Keep up the good work!!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-31-2018),HeathBish (10-31-2018),tttaylorrr (11-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    As far as his food refusal, keep in mind that snakes need water FAR MORE than food...I'm so glad that you got him to safety JUST IN TIME. I mean that...
    I think he was so dehydrated that had he taken food when you offered, he's have regurgitated it anyway, or died trying to digest it. So go slow, when you
    do offer him food in another week or so, make it smaller than what you'd normally feed...and if he refuses, you won't be wasting so much either. But it truly
    may take some time for his digestion & his body to get up to speed, since he was without heat for who-knows-how-long? I think he'll do well with you if you
    are patient. I wouldn't worry about the hiss...if I were in his scales, I'd likewise assume all humans are jerks. He was miserable, that's all...but soon
    he'll realize he is safe with you.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-31-2018),HeathBish (10-31-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    As far as his food refusal, keep in mind that snakes need water FAR MORE than food...I'm so glad that you got him to safety JUST IN TIME. I mean that...
    I think he was so dehydrated that had he taken food when you offered, he's have regurgitated it anyway, or died trying to digest it. So go slow, when you
    do offer him food in another week or so, make it smaller than what you'd normally feed...and if he refuses, you won't be wasting so much either. But it truly
    may take some time for his digestion & his body to get up to speed, since he was without heat for who-knows-how-long? I think he'll do well with you if you
    are patient. I wouldn't worry about the hiss...if I were in his scales, I'd likewise assume all humans are jerks. He was miserable, that's all...but soon

Very good points made here

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

HeathBish (10-31-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Thanks so much! I'm so happy to have you guys! Very much appreciated!

Sent using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HeathBish For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-31-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Very good points made here

Sent using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HeathBish For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-31-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Sent using Tapatalk
    We're here because it's a pleasure to help, knowing that each time means one more snake is rescued & taken care of properly. We can't actually BE everywhere...
    but as a "community" we can do a lot.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-31-2018),distaff (10-31-2018),HeathBish (10-31-2018),tttaylorrr (11-02-2018)

Thanks

I wanted to post yesterday but got busy and forgot. When I changed out his hides I saw signs that he's in shed. That explains the hissing, right?

Sent using Tapatalk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HeathBish For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

I wanted to post yesterday but got busy and forgot. When I changed out his hides I saw signs that he's in shed. That explains the hissing, right?

Sent using Tapatalk
    Maybe, maybe not. They certainly get a bit more defensive in shed.

Honestly, just don't even pay it any kind of attention. Snakes hiss at times. I find that with BP's its usually quite the comical attempt at seeming scary. Sometimes its more of a loud exhale then a real hiss with meaning.

I would only pay any attention to it if the snake raises up his head and neck slightly, starting straight at you, with a tight S-curve to the neck. Clearly meaning business. I've seen that with many snakes but only a handful BP's. And usually it was defensive yet bold hatchlings that did this, and they gave that up in no time.

This move and new home is all stressful to your boy. Sure, he has it FAR BETTER now. But its still a change, its still stress. Even though he went to a better home. The older they are, the more time they need to get used to new situations. As is, he wasn't taken care of well. He really needs a TON of downtime. Give him 100% correct husbandry, a LOT of privacy, and then ...time.
    You could tape black construction paper on the back and sides of the tank, it is to exposed, to light. Keep most of the top covered too, and you can keep covering a bit of the front like you do now.

You WILL have to move him sometimes, or perform maintenance. Do it matter of fact. He may protest a bit, don't let it intimidate you. Ignore it, pick him up. Use gentle but deliberate movements. Not darting, hesitant, stabbing towards him movements. Swoop him up, set him back down. Gentle but deliberate.

Every so often one of mine will let out a little hiss. Its more like a "hey now, I was napping" It means nothing. They can have a voice, an opinion. I will respect that and be gentle, but do what I need to do, without hurting them, without scaring them.

You and him will get to know one another. They can live up to 50 years old, you have SO MUCH TIME with him. Some patience now will go a long way

Thank you for saving him!!
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-01-2018),Craiga 01453 (11-02-2018),HeathBish (11-01-2018),Justin83 (11-02-2018)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast