Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,323

2 members and 3,321 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Hissing

Long story short... My friend found a Normal being sold on FB. It was kind of horrifying actually. I could tell he didn't shed properly and didn't have heat for a while. I don't know how long. Anyways when I went to pick him up he was around the guys neck in 45 degree weather in the rain. He was very docile though. Anyway, it's been a week and I tried feeding him. He was fed live but I tried f/t. He didn't take it. I was told he hasn't eaten in almost two months. He was in his hide on the hot side and I couldn't get it back to where it was because he moved and was to big. I went to pick him up to move him so I could put the hide back and he hissed at me. I've never encountered that and, admittedly, it was scary lol. He's a big boy. I thought to myself don't let it scare you so I tried again and he hissed. I just let him move himself after that then put his hide back.

I've learned a lot from this forum but I only had my little one before this guy. So what exactly does that mean right now and in the long run?

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Hissing

Oh, and he puts his head in the water and I can literally see the water draining from the bowl. I thought he was trying to drown himself at first. When I first put him in the Viv upon arriving home he went right to the water and drank half of it. And it's a big bowl. I guess I still have alot to learn and I'm guessing each BP has their own habits. I'm just curious and worried he isn't happy. His humidity and Temps are on point. Anything you can tell me would be helpful.

TIA.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks

Also, he doesn't really do much but stay coiled in the hot hide. If he does come out at night he goes to the water drinks and goes back in the hot hide. I don't know if that makes any difference but I feel like he thinks he might not get heat again and that's why he stays there.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,839 Times in 11,851 Posts
    Poor snake...he's lucky to have survived. I wonder if he was without a water bowl previously....that would explain both his excessive thirst and his poor shed when
    you got him. It's not normal for them to drink that much at one time...since his previous owner seemed clueless about his need for heat, he may also have thought
    that snakes don't drink water. (Honestly, I've met people who think that! And they are so wrong!) This BP needs lots of rest & "TLC" to get healthy- make sure his
    "hot hide" is the right temperature (not over 91*) as snakes don't always know when they are being harmed by excessive heat, & this one is trying to survive. Snakes
    literally cannot digest or even move when it's too cold...their metabolism is dependent upon finding the right warmth in their surroundings. A hiss is just what it
    sounds like: "leave me alone!" He was stressed & just defending himself...always nice when a snake warns you instead of just biting. Doesn't mean he'll stay cranky-
    he's been thru an awful lot, that's what it sounds like to me. It may take another week or more before he feels like eating again...be patient. How is his breathing?
    Any whistling sounds? crackling sounds? It's a miracle if he isn't sick...you might do well to have an experienced herp vet check him out since you are fairly new to
    keeping snakes. There's only so much we can tell you (medically) online & without seeing the actual snake; we cannot substitute for a veterinarian.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

distaff (10-31-2018),HeathBish (10-31-2018),Knowell (10-31-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Poor snake...he's lucky to have survived. I wonder if he was without a water bowl previously....that would explain both his excessive thirst and his poor shed when
    you got him. It's not normal for them to drink that much at one time...since his previous owner seemed clueless about his need for heat, he may also have thought
    that snakes don't drink water. (Honestly, I've met people who think that! And they are so wrong!) This BP needs lots of rest & "TLC" to get healthy- make sure his
    "hot hide" is the right temperature (not over 91*) as snakes don't always know when they are being harmed by excessive heat, & this one is trying to survive. Snakes
    literally cannot digest or even move when it's too cold...their metabolism is dependent upon finding the right warmth in their surroundings. A hiss is just what it
    sounds like: "leave me alone!" He was stressed & just defending himself...always nice when a snake warns you instead of just biting. Doesn't mean he'll stay cranky-
    he's been thru an awful lot, that's what it sounds like to me. It may take another week or more before he feels like eating again...be patient. How is his breathing?
    Any whistling sounds? crackling sounds? It's a miracle if he isn't sick...you might do well to have an experienced herp vet check him out since you are fairly new to
    keeping snakes. There's only so much we can tell you (medically) online & without seeing the actual snake; we cannot substitute for a veterinarian.
    I did a thorough check when I got him home before I put him in his Viv. No drainage, wheezing, unusual marks. I checked for signs of mouth rot that I've read about on here and online just to be sure I had a well rounded idea. I was worried about that because he hasn't eaten. He looks like a great snake. Everything besides what I said looks normal. And no blisters anywhere. He's a stud

Like I said he just had a terrible shed. And, when I checked him out before putting him in he was cold. Like, colder than normal. And looked really sad. Lol To me anyway.

I could tell he was out last night because his digital hygro/thermo is knocked over on the cool side and the hide is shifted a bit so he was checking things out. His Viv was like that the last few days. I just haven't seen him out.

Think it's safe to say he just needs more time to adjust? Or should I take him in to the vet now?

The photo is after putting him in and drinking down all the water. (I ordered black hide boxes for him but the larges weren't big enough so I'm waiting for the extra larges that why you see the wood hide and dome box.)

Sent using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HeathBish For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-31-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Glad to hear this guy has a new start.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

HeathBish (10-31-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Good on you for taking on this challenge. As long as you're prepared for a challenge and a potentially long road I think you'll be fine.

As for the hissing, don't let it discourage you. Snakes can only communicate in a few ways, hissing being one. There's a lot of change going on in a short time frame, so the snake is understandably stressed.

Make sure husbandry is on point and let him chill for a few weeks. Keep handling to a minimum and let him acclimate. He'll mellow out in time.

Good luck!! Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

HeathBish (10-31-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Good on you for taking on this challenge. As long as you're prepared for a challenge and a potentially long road I think you'll be fine.

As for the hissing, don't let it discourage you. Snakes can only communicate in a few ways, hissing being one. There's a lot of change going on in a short time frame, so the snake is understandably stressed.

Make sure husbandry is on point and let him chill for a few weeks. Keep handling to a minimum and let him acclimate. He'll mellow out in time.

Good luck!! Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
    I appreciate it. Do you think I should wait on switching out his hides then? They're being delivered today.

Sent using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HeathBish View Post
    I appreciate it. Do you think I should wait on switching out his hides then? They're being delivered today.

Sent using Tapatalk
    I would go ahead and switch them. No worries there.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-31-2018),HeathBish (10-31-2018),tttaylorrr (11-02-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I would go ahead and switch them. No worries there.
    Cool. They were just delivered. I'll rinse them and let them warm up for a bit then switch them out. Thanks

Sent using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast