Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,196

0 members and 3,196 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Formal Introductions...

I have posted here in BP.net before, but I think I’ve finally figured out this Tapatalk program. So I’m going to attempt to show my two girls in a post as well as ask for some guidance from you all.

This is my first snake, Genesis. She is a normal ball python. Wonderful little lady. So very docile yet inquisitive. She’s to blame for my passion for these magnificent creatures.

And this is my newest young lady, Fluffy. (Yes, I know her name is cliché, and I don’t care cause I like it ) Fluffy is a Lavender Albino Mainland Reticulated Python who hatched April 30th 2018. I absolutely love her as much as I do Genesis. But she is definitely a completely different ball game. And I did anticipate that prior to bringing her home.
    When I handled Fluffy at the show, she was completely docile. Almost surprisingly so. Same when I got her home. I imagine what I was seeing was more stress than docile. And I imagine that’s to be expect. Day two wit Fluffy, she was a new animal. I probably should have followed the advice given to leave her be for a week or so. But, I had to learn the hard way. Day two, I was handling a new Fluffy, who didn’t care to be handled at the time. And she let me know by giving me a nice little “leave me alone bite”. Message received. Of course, it didn’t hurt, but she got her point across. Since giving her some time to settle, she hasn’t exactly gotten “nicer” or “more trusting”. I have to admit, I’m a little timid, even though I know what a defensive bite feels like, and know it doesn’t cause any real pain (at least not at this size). But I’m determined. We’ve started to work with a hook a bit, in effort to introduce and make that a normal part of our interactions. But I am also able to hold her. I hope to “handle” more soon, as right now, I can hold her, but much more movement from me results in strikes.
    So the advice/guidance I’m requesting is just for some basic young retic handling pointers. We have about 30 years together ahead of us and I want to do my very best to do as much correctly during these formative first few months as I can.

Thank you for anything you all are willing to share in advance!

-C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Formal Introductions...

Nice tic! I got my purple mainland male sonny a year ago at the beginning of this month. He was hatchling size, and now he’s almost 9ft long and probably about 15-20lbs (guestimate). He was very docile when I brought him home, and was a little flighty at first. I gave him two weeks alone and then started with short and sweet handling and we haven’t had an issue since. Any advice I would give is have patience, and keep all interactions positive and short in this stage so you guys really bond and you’ll be good to go. As the snake puts on size and realizes your no threat it will be easier to handle and increase handling times. They have so much personality and can be super rewarding pets.
    Last edited by Dxw425; 10-29-2018 at 11:05 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dxw425 For This Useful Post:

callen727 (10-29-2018)

Thanks

Re: Formal Introductions...

Thank you! Reading the encouraging and positive words actually makes me excited.

-C.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to callen727 For This Useful Post:

Dxw425 (10-30-2018)