Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,431

2 members and 2,429 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UTH Question

Thanks

UTH Question

I've read the sticky about setting up an AP, but I'm using a zilla UTH instead of Flex Watt.

I taped the UTH to the bottom of the enclosure (sandwiching the thermostat probe between it and the cage) with aluminum foil tape, instead of using the adhesive backing... however I left the protective cover on the adhesive - should I have removed this and (I'm not sure) cleaned the adhesive off or covered it with something different?

I was only concerned that whatever you would normally peel off to expose the adhesive is flammable or dangerous under heat in some way.
    Last edited by Pelican't; 10-27-2018 at 03:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,910 Times in 11,895 Posts
    I applaud your sense of safety. Usually the peel-off that covers adhesive is some sort of waxed paper or plastic. I'm not sure the UTH will get hot enough to set
    fire to it, though it would dry out in time & become more likely as time goes on. It also occurs to me that the cover on the adhesive is going to act as insulation,
    allowing LESS heat to rise into the enclosure, and that also makes it more likely to overheat. Not sure what to advise you, I've never used UTH with adhesive &
    it sounds like yours is really designed to only be used once the backing is peeled, which is a real hassle: if it doesn't detach easily, the UTH itself will be damaged
    if you ever try to remove it, & then you'll need to buy some more, which was perhaps their intention when they did it this way?

Thanks

Re: UTH Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I applaud your sense of safety. Usually the peel-off that covers adhesive is some sort of waxed paper or plastic. I'm not sure the UTH will get hot enough to set
    fire to it, though it would dry out in time & become more likely as time goes on. It also occurs to me that the cover on the adhesive is going to act as insulation,
    allowing LESS heat to rise into the enclosure, and that also makes it more likely to overheat. Not sure what to advise you, I've never used UTH with adhesive &
    it sounds like yours is really designed to only be used once the backing is peeled, which is a real hassle: if it doesn't detach easily, the UTH itself will be damaged
    if you ever try to remove it, & then you'll need to buy some more, which was perhaps their intention when they did it this way?
    Thanks appreciate it, yea I was in the process of putting it together when I asked and decided to go do it as instructed. Removed the tape, the wax paper covering and simply used the adhesive it came with.

It felt like there were a few too many risks (possibility of the aluminum tape short circuiting with the uth, wax paper melting from direct contact etc) so when the time comes I'm sure it's just gonna be a process of scraping the thing off. After that I can deal with whatever remains by retaping or getting something new if it needs adjusted, no worrying about wax paper.

Your advice just makes me see some more issues that I hadn't even thought of so now just feeling good to not have regrets.

Thanks
    I've used UTH (Flexwatt) safely for many many years. I'm glad you thought about it more...they do tell you (w/ Flexwatt anyway) not to use on metal shelves
    or with metal tape (as the insulation, ie. the plastic covering) is rather minimal & they don't want anyone to have a safety problem. I feel the same way...

Thanks

I put my UTHs on individual pieces of plexiglass that are about an inch larger in size all the way around. This lets you put the heater inside the tank. If you ever need to swap tanks you don’t have to go through removing the UTH and losing its adhesive properties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jbabycsx View Post
    I put my UTHs on individual pieces of plexiglass that are about an inch larger in size all the way around. This lets you put the heater inside the tank. If you ever need to swap tanks you don’t have to go through removing the UTH and losing its adhesive properties.

What if your snake dumps the water bowl...can water get in? If so, it ain't safe.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Jbabycsx (10-27-2018)

Thanks

I have the water bowls that look like rocks. The base of them is super wide and flat. I won’t say it’s impossible as they get older but I don’t see any way they could dump them over. I suppose it couldn’t hurt to figure out a way to secure the water bowl though. You can never be to safe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jbabycsx View Post
    I have the water bowls that look like rocks. The base of them is super wide and flat. I won’t say it’s impossible as they get older but I don’t see any way they could dump them over. I suppose it couldn’t hurt to figure out a way to secure the water bowl though. You can never be to safe.

If a snake can push the bowl, sooner or later he/she will. Water sloshes or the snake is wet...water & electricity just do not mix. The best way to prevent the electrocution of your snake is to use UTH under the tank as it's designed. The only heat pads I'm aware of that are designed to be used in areas that can be damp are those designed for livestock ("pig blankets") or kennel use (whelping can be messy). I have some flat ceramic heating pads that I bought decades ago from a company that supplied them to zoos, designed to be buried by dirt in naturalistic enclosures...they too are safely insulated. Apart from using such products, I wouldn't put "UTH" within a cage, ever.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-27-2018 at 06:59 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (10-27-2018),MissterDog (10-27-2018)

Thanks

The only other nagging concern I have is that it (the zilla uth) says "Only for use on glass tanks" but I've never seen anyone anywhere else say they've had any issues using them on something like an AP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican't View Post
    The only other nagging concern I have is that it (the zilla uth) says "Only for use on glass tanks" but I've never seen anyone anywhere else say they've had any issues using them on something like an AP.
    I haven't used Zilla UTH so I don't know how many watts they run (or how hot they get?), but it sounds like they are trying to protect themselves from anyone melting
    their plastic tubs & trying to sue? If you are using it with a quality functioning thermostat (as you should be), I suspect you're ok...what is the hottest that it gets?
    And are you ever running it full blast? (like in a really cold room...?) Personally, I'm a glass tank user myself, hopefully others can chime in on this? Used with
    higher temperatures, plastic cages of all kinds can melt or warp.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-27-2018 at 07:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast