Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,197

3 members and 3,194 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Meet Remi! Remi has Mites -_-

Besides the mites, everything has been great. My girlfriend and I got him from a local pet store last week and he has been such a good snake so far. He ate for us on his second day and loves his new enclosure. Jump forward to Thursday night. We saw a black dot on him, took him out to investigate and then saw 4 more crawling around. We got some mite spray, stripped his terrarium and cleaned out everything. Last night we saw only one mite on him, redid the whole process again with the mite spray and it seems to be working. During this whole process of handling him and rubbing him down with the spray and moving him, not once did he get aggressive. He basically just sat there while we helped him out for a few days. It just makes me feel horrible that he was getting used to his new home and then we had to stress him out like this. His calm demeanor really makes me feel even worse because even when he was soaking in a bit of water, he just calmly sat there and looked up at us. His personality reminds me of a puppy to be honest.

Anyways, here he is. We have no idea how old he is. Of course when I asked, the pet store was like uhhhhhhhh maybe 5 months? So who even knows.

Hopefully this is almost over and he can get back to his normal enclosure. Has anyone else dealt with mites? How long did it take for you to fully get rid of them?

Thanks for reading.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KyRo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (10-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,868 Times in 4,781 Posts
    A mite egg can take 30 days to hatch out so you have to treat for two months after you stop finding mites, or risk ending up with another full-blown infestation.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-27-2018),MissterDog (10-27-2018)

Thanks
    He is crazy adorable, good thing you caught the problem so quickly, never had mites but heard you treat again a month afterwards to make sure no eggs are hiding anywhere. Congratulations on the sweet new babe.
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

Thanks

Re: Meet Remi! Remi has Mites -_-

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    A mite egg can take 30 days to hatch out so you have to treat for two months after you stop finding mites, or risk ending up with another full-blown infestation.
    How often do you treat after not finding any more?

Quote Originally Posted by C.Marie View Post
    He is crazy adorable, good thing you caught the problem so quickly, never had mites but heard you treat again a month afterwards to make sure no eggs are hiding anywhere. Congratulations on the sweet new babe.
    Thank you! Hopefully this time is the last time.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts
    Beautiful new 'noodle'....sounds like he's taking the treatment in stride (-do snakes have a stride? LOL).
    But stay vigilant...at least it's easier with his light color. Any mites you miss can cause another outbreak.

Thanks

Re: Meet Remi! Remi has Mites -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Beautiful new 'noodle'....sounds like he's taking the treatment in stride (-do snakes have a stride? LOL).
    But stay vigilant...at least it's easier with his light color. Any mites you miss can cause another outbreak.
    Thank you. He is taking it very well. I was so worried about him being difficult since he's so young and new to me, but man it couldn't have gone any better.

I am getting some provent a mite spray, but I have a question. A few things I have read says you can keep your wooden hides and everything in the enclosure and fog it while other say so take everything out. I don't want him to have to sit on paper towels and have basically nothing in his tank for a month+. Will fogging the tank with everything in it (besides him of course) be okay?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts
    Thankfully I've never needed to use Provent-a-mite spray, but read the directions closely. I'm not sure about wooden hides or branches, typically mites can hide in
    them & survive; I think most ppl battling mites discard such things, but you might be able to salvage them by doing more than one thing to them to destroy mites.
    (ie. bake them @ 200* for 30-45 minutes, and then fog them & make sure they're completely dry before using; don't fog them first & then bake, as you'll be in-
    haling the fumes & they might even be flammable, who knows? Don't take a chance, if you keep them bake first, then spray & enclose them in a plastic bag for a
    while to make sure no mites can re-infest your snake...mites can be awful to fully get rid of.)

Paper towels (white) are fine as a substrate...you want to be able to see any mites if they survive. You can also use clean cardboard boxes with doorways cut to
    fit your snake as temporary hides...you're correct in that your snake still needs to feel safe & secure, & he needs hides to do that. Many other things can be used
    as hides too...upside down plastic plant saucers, for example...again, cut a doorway...or plastic food containers. Choose something that isn't much taller than your
    snake & has only one modest size doorway...plastic has the advantage that mites have nowhere to hide & they can be easily cleaned.

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Can’t comment on the mites, never had them but it’s been pretty well covered. Kinda sucks right out of the gate and that’s to bad but could be a lot worse.
    He is a pretty sharp looking guy. I’m not to good on morphs but looks like a Banana or Coral Glow. Love the coloring and pattern. Remi is a good name any significance?

Thanks
    Thanks for all the advice guys. What is the difference between Banana and Coral Glow? I have heard that they are the same and I have also heard they are different.

The name Remi came oddly. We couldn't decide a name and my girlfriend said Rem. I though it sounded a bit weird, so I said what about Remi, like from the movie Ratatouille? Which is the name of the rat. And one day he will eat rats, so it's kind of a play on the name.
    Last edited by KyRo; 10-28-2018 at 01:08 AM.

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    I believe they are the same but comes down to what the breeder calls them or what they say your buying. Idk,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast